Sponsored by:

Brand New 2013 C2S transmission failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 PM
needlejockey
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New 2013 C2S transmission failure

Bad news on on my first P-car. Bought a brand new 2013 C2S w PDK two weeks ago. I haven't driven the car very hard yet, and I was cruising along with my daughter in the backseat when an "Emergency transmission failure" code came on, it went into Limp mode and stuck in 2nd gear with no reverse. I drove home in 2nd gear and physically pushed it back into my garage and flatbedded it to the dealer that same day. 4 days later the dealer says they have never seen this in a 991 and have no idea how to fix it, and are waiting for a reply from porsche. Im stuck in a 6cyl panamera that is rather boring... Anyone have any idea if this is a computer code glitch or am I stuck waiting for a new transmission...? So much for Porsche JD Powers highest quality car company...
Old 07-16-2013, 01:16 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Sadly you're not the first and surely not the last to experience this.
Some have ended up with merely a bad sensor, while others with an entirely new transmission.
I'd give dealer a few days to determine what happened and then take it up with PCNA if you're not satisfied.

Pls keep us posted and good luck.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:37 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this has happened on the 997.2's. Google it. There is a fix
Old 07-16-2013, 08:55 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Yet another reason I went with a 991c2s w/7mt...
Old 07-17-2013, 12:34 PM
luffe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't jump to conclusions. My father has a 2012 CS PDK that has over 35 000 kms of touring/spirited driving and 5 trackdays with me (where the next to last one ate up the remaining of the stock Pirelli's, so it's on fresh Michelins now) - no issues whatsoever. Still on the stock brake pads.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually this is an anomaly because the PDK trans has had very few failures.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:24 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Yet another reason I went with a 991c2s w/7mt...
And how does that help? They are almost the exact same gear box in the 991. I'd expect them to have similar reliability - no? Plus you can have more "human" error / abuse with a manual e.g. money shifts, valets burning your clutch etc.

"Porsche and ZF have been collaborating on the design and development of these transaxles—code-named the DT11 (PDK) and the MT11 (manual)—since 2003. From the start, the two companies planned on sharing the maximum number of parts and manufacturing tools. Credit ZF engineer Dr. Michael Ebenhoch with inventing the twofer shift kinematics.

Each gearbox is comprised of three aluminum castings—a front section, a rear section, and one removable cover. While those castings are different to suit each transaxle’s functional distinctions, roughly one-third of the internal parts are common [see above]. The main shaft, output shaft, differential, some of the gears, and the *synchronizer mechanisms are shared. The PDK ’box has two input shafts versus the manual transaxle’s single shaft. "
Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

prob a sensor.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:31 AM
advantyper
Instructor

Ouch, sorry to hear that, hope they fix the issue on your car
Old 07-18-2013, 08:47 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
And how does that help? They are almost the exact same gear box in the 991. I'd expect them to have similar reliability - no? Plus you can have more "human" error / abuse with a manual e.g. money shifts, valets burning your clutch etc.

"Porsche and ZF have been collaborating on the design and development of these transaxles—code-named the DT11 (PDK) and the MT11 (manual)—since 2003. From the start, the two companies planned on sharing the maximum number of parts and manufacturing tools. Credit ZF engineer Dr. Michael Ebenhoch with inventing the twofer shift kinematics.

Each gearbox is comprised of three aluminum castings—a front section, a rear section, and one removable cover. While those castings are different to suit each transaxle’s functional distinctions, roughly one-third of the internal parts are common [see above]. The main shaft, output shaft, differential, some of the gears, and the *synchronizer mechanisms are shared. The PDK ’box has two input shafts versus the manual transaxle’s single shaft. "
My advice is to not own one out of warranty. While I do assume that Porsche has done a better job than the other marques with its auto-manual flappy paddle type gearboxes; having come from Ferrari, BMW and Audi ownership experience, I have seen failures resulting in very expensive repairs that only dealers can and/or are willing take on. Whereas a mechanic at a full service Chevron station can change the clutch in a 3 pedal manual Porsche.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 AM
NeoGeo07
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodsky

Although they do share a lot of parts, a quick search on RL reveals at least one PDK failure in a 991 and one in a Boxster. This would be the second 991 with PDK issues. I have not found any threads that talks about issues with the manual trans.

Statistically it is probably not significant but it does make me think twice about getting PDK. It'll be interesting to see how the PDK-S fares with the GT3 and the Turbo.

Quick Reply: Brand New 2013 C2S transmission failure