Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world experience with Carerra S Powerkit?

Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Real world experience with Carerra S Powerkit?

I've read through the Porsche literature and the news releases from when it was announced, but related to the Carerra S Powerkit and reported 30 hp increase, anyone out there have real world experience with this? Seat of the pants difference between a Carerra S with and without the powerkit? Quarter mile times...?

The price is pretty steep for 30 hp, even moreso when Porsche claims only a 0.1 increase in 0-60, but I can't help but wonder if these estimates are understated, as Porsche tends to do with performance figures.

I remember Motor Trend testing a Carerra S at 0-60 in 3.7 and quarter mile in 12.0 in their best drivers car issue a while back (which the Carerra S won incidently) and I don't think that car had the powerkit.

Is it possible that a Careera S with powerkit could be a 3.5 second 0-60 and high 11 quarter mile car?

Do I put too much emphasis on acceleration? Maybe.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been curious as well. Haven't been able to justify the big bump in price for the power kit, but maybe that's just because I haven't experienced it first hand!

Slightly off-topic, I found it interesting last year at the Porsche World Road Show Event that the Cayenne Hybrid is quicker 0 to 45mph than the Cayenne S. For an acceleration junkie, you'd get more fun out of the Hybrid than the S around town. Even though the X51 powerkit only gives you .1 seconds to 60mph, wonder if it has noticeably more jump at the start?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hammer911
I've been curious as well. Haven't been able to justify the big bump in price for the power kit, but maybe that's just because I haven't experienced it first hand!

Slightly off-topic, I found it interesting last year at the Porsche World Road Show Event that the Cayenne Hybrid is quicker 0 to 45mph than the Cayenne S. For an acceleration junkie, you'd get more fun out of the Hybrid than the S around town. Even though the X51 powerkit only gives you .1 seconds to 60mph, wonder if it has noticeably more jump at the start?
Based on the hp/tq graphs Porsche has release there is little difference under 4k rpms; in fact, the powerkit has slightly less torque from 2,700 = 4,000 rpms it appears... so probably no greater urgency at low-mid range. That is, if the graphs are accurate.

I do like winding out engines and would occasionally turn some laps at a track... and possibly even some 1/4 mile runs if I thought I could squeeze an 11 out of her.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:11 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove a 991S coupe in Germany last fall and now have an X51 Cab. The new car seems to wind up quicker once you get over the 5k rpm. Also, the torque curve is better in that it's smooth all the way up whereas the regular S has some lumps and bumps. Worth the extra cost - debatable. Joy of ownership - priceless. Don't forget you get the PSE (and tips) and Sports Chrono as part of the price.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:31 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
Don't forget you get the PSE (and tips) and Sports Chrono as part of the price.
^ this
Old 06-21-2013, 04:42 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 308 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by General Jack
Based on the hp/tq graphs Porsche has release there is little difference under 4k rpms; in fact, the powerkit has slightly less torque from 2,700 = 4,000 rpms it appears... so probably no greater urgency at low-mid range. That is, if the graphs are accurate.

I do like winding out engines and would occasionally turn some laps at a track... and possibly even some 1/4 mile runs if I thought I could squeeze an 11 out of her.
Road and Track has road tests that have times in the high 11s for a standard 991S PDK, and some folks have shown 11.7 time slips for the 991S here.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:52 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

It definitely pulls harder to redline at starting at 5k. With the standard engine I want to shift around 6k since the acceleration seems to "flatten out" which makes sense if you look at the torque curve. You definitely want to keep going to redline with the powerkit. The sound is slightly different too. Hard to describe, but it sounds more raw and mechanical.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:10 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
I drove a 991S coupe in Germany last fall and now have an X51 Cab. The new car seems to wind up quicker once you get over the 5k rpm. Also, the torque curve is better in that it's smooth all the way up whereas the regular S has some lumps and bumps. Worth the extra cost - debatable. Joy of ownership - priceless. Don't forget you get the PSE (and tips) and Sports Chrono as part of the price.
Yes, must have items. Reduces the effective price of the powerkit by several thousand.

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Road and Track has road tests that have times in the high 11s for a standard 991S PDK, and some folks have shown 11.7 time slips for the 991S here.
That's damn impressive. 11.7 for 991S without the powerkit?? I would have to think the powerkit would add a couple tenths in the quarter given most of the time would be spend above 5k rpms.

Originally Posted by SkandoSchwabe
It definitely pulls harder to redline at starting at 5k. With the standard engine I want to shift around 6k since the acceleration seems to "flatten out" which makes sense if you look at the torque curve. You definitely want to keep going to redline with the powerkit. The sound is slightly different too. Hard to describe, but it sounds more raw and mechanical.
Good info, thanks, I like raw and mechanical.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, must have items. Reduces the effective price of the powerkit by several thousand.
Like a little over 4K FWIR

Good info, thanks, I like raw and mechanical.
^ this!!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I have zero experience with the Powerkit in the 991, but did have it in my 997 4S and loved it. Mechanical and raw are good descriptions of it. It was very eager to rev, and made the engine much more characterful IMO. I have it on my 991 order and it's not coming off.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:34 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 991S with power kit. I took delivery of it less than a month ago and have about a 1000 miles on the odometer. The engine is still pretty tight, so it's not where it will be a few thousand from now, but I can confirm that the engine screams from 6000 - 7600, which is where the extra power is. The first few times I took it to redline I bumped up against the rev limiter, so I've had to recalibrate my reaction time. As compared to the regular S, it is noticeably quicker after 6000 rpms.

The power kit makes more torque between 2500 and 4000 rpms and a bit less between 4250 and 5000 rpms. At 6000 rpms the torque output of the regular S drops off significantly. With the power kit the drop in output is very gradual. The power kit develops noticeably more torque and HP in the upper rev range.

The French Motorsport Magazine tested the 991S with power kit and 7 speed manual. It did not have spasm or sports chrono; however, it did have pdcc. In summation the 991S X51 was quicker than the standard S by .02 from 0-62 mph, 0-100 mph .04 and 0-125 mph .07. The difference between the two is worth noting and the X51 is certainly faster than what Porsche is advertising, which was minimal advertising at best: 0-60 mph .01 advantage.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 PM
handful
Instructor

Cars and Coffee a couple of weeks ago:

racing yellow, black leather interior, yellow gauges, X51 power kit, pdk, spasm, sports chrono, pse, no sunroof, platinum carrera s wheels, sports design aero, burmester
Attached Images    
Old 06-22-2013, 07:07 PM
handful
Instructor

Originally Posted by SkandoSchwabe
You definitely want to keep going to redline with the powerkit. The sound is slightly different too. Hard to describe, but it sounds more raw and mechanical.
Agree and the engine howls.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:09 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by handful
I have a 991S with power kit. I took delivery of it less than a month ago and have about a 1000 miles on the odometer. The engine is still pretty tight, so it's not where it will be a few thousand from now, but I can confirm that the engine screams from 6000 - 7600, which is where the extra power is. The first few times I took it to redline I bumped up against the rev limiter, so I've had to recalibrate my reaction time. As compared to the regular S, it is noticeably quicker after 6000 rpms.

The power kit makes more torque between 2500 and 4000 rpms and a bit less between 4250 and 5000 rpms. At 6000 rpms the torque output of the regular S drops off significantly. With the power kit the drop in output is very gradual. The power kit develops noticeably more torque and HP in the upper rev range.

The French Motorsport Magazine tested the 991S with power kit and 7 speed manual. It did not have spasm or sports chrono; however, it did have pdcc. In summation the 991S X51 was quicker than the standard S by .02 from 0-62 mph, 0-100 mph .04 and 0-125 mph .07. The difference between the two is worth noting and the X51 is certainly faster than what Porsche is advertising, which was minimal advertising at best: 0-60 mph .01 advantage.

Great info thanks for sharing! On the times, did you mean tenths or hundredths?
Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

I drove a power kit C4S today (PDK) I will say that car pulled amazingly hard. I also drove a standard car (C4S PDK) Yea it sounds awesome but a lot of that is due to the exhaust, it does sound glorious as you approach redline. You can tell the difference between the two cars, per the butt dyno, but is it worth the price delta? Not in my opinion. I am considering ordering a 991 C4S right now and its really not on my wish list, not at that price point. If it were 9k for the option I would say its a solid choice. (based on the fact that the package includes ~5.8k of other options (Sport Tailpipes --950, Sport Exhaust System--2950, Sport Chrono Package --1850) I would rather put my money toward PDCC and sport chrono.

I doubt test equipment would show a performance delta that's in line with the cost delta. Of course if money is no object then I would say go for it. But if money is no object then wait for the new turbo s :-) If you think about it the price delta between an equally equipped Audi S8 and Audi A8, its about 12k. (similar to the power kit if you kept the options the same) At least there you have a 100hp difference which you will notice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real world experience with Carerra S Powerkit?