Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world experience with Carerra S Powerkit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 AM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by General Jack
Great info thanks for sharing! On the times, did you mean tenths or hundredths?
Tenths.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 AM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by handful
Tenths.
Good deal, so it would appear to be almost a half second quicker to the quarter mile with the power kit? Being a numbers guy admittedly, I could justify spending the extra $$ for that type of gain.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

The British mag GT Porsche has a feature on it on it in the July edition (it's got the 918 on the cover). Just skimmed it but their verdict was basically: pulls more urgently to the redline over 4 grand, makes nice sounds, but best paired with the PDK if you expect to get any real world performance gains from it. The way they basically positioned it was that it was a very subtle performance difference but it made the car somewhat more enjoyable to drive. They said it was a good option to get closer to the GT3 but still retain the everyday usability of the Carrera.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:09 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
The British mag GT Porsche has a feature on it on it in the July edition (it's got the 918 on the cover). Just skimmed it but their verdict was basically: pulls more urgently to the redline over 4 grand, makes nice sounds, but best paired with the PDK if you expect to get any real world performance gains from it. The way they basically positioned it was that it was a very subtle performance difference but it made the car somewhat more enjoyable to drive. They said it was a good option to get closer to the GT3 but still retain the everyday usability of the Carrera.
That's the conclusion I've been coming to. I had been considering a 997 GT3 recently but was starting to rule it out because of the less than desirable aspects of being closer to a track car (namely that my wife would hate the ride).

The performance of the Carrera S equals, if not betters, the 997 GT3 and appears to be more user friendly. I hadn't started looking into 991s until just recently and I'm impressed. I'm totally fine with the pdk too.

The sticker is giving me a bit of heartburn though, what I want spec'd out to $135k or so.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

The sticker is giving me a bit of heartburn though, what I want spec'd out to $135k or so.
Exactly. You're into 991 GT3 territory. I don't have the wife "problem" so I'd skip X51 and go straight there.

The Carrera is already pretty potent already in S 3.8 form. I doubt the first thing in your mind will be, "Gee, I wish this thing had more power", but I realize people have different standards regarding this.

A used S with SPASM, PDK, and all the other bells and whistles, even with low miles can already be found for under $100k. I'd have a hard time justifying the extra 30 for another $36k myself.

This one's even certified: http://porschedallas.parkplacetexas....as-TX/7968535/
Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Exactly. You're into 991 GT3 territory. I don't have the wife "problem" so I'd skip X51 and go straight there.

The Carrera is already pretty potent already in S 3.8 form. I doubt the first thing in your mind will be, "Gee, I wish this thing had more power", but I realize people have different standards regarding this.

A used S with SPASM, PDK, and all the other bells and whistles, even with low miles can already be found for under $100k. I'd have a hard time justifying the extra 30 for another $36k myself.

This one's even certified: http://porschedallas.parkplacetexas....as-TX/7968535/
CPO would be a good alternative to new for sure; too bad the powerkit wasn't offered for the '12 model year.

Just noticed your profile pic, do you also call Austin home?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Yes, I do. Moved here in '93, lived outside of the US for about 11 years and just moved back late last year. Changed a lot but still a great city.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 PM
handful
Instructor

That's the conclusion I've been coming to. I had been considering a 997 GT3 recently but was starting to rule it out because of the less than desirable aspects of being closer to a track car (namely that my wife would hate the ride).

The performance of the Carrera S equals, if not betters, the 997 GT3 and appears to be more user friendly. I hadn't started looking into 991s until just recently and I'm impressed. I'm totally fine with the pdk too.

Before I commited to the S X51, I configured a lightly (there are few options) optioned GT3 and it retailed just above $151,000. The final deal breaker for me is the fact that the GT3 develops so little torque until it hits 6000 rpms where it finally matches the S.

Compared to the 3.8 S/ X51

2000 rpms -30 lb. ft
3000 -30
4000 -40
5000 -18
6000 0
7000 +3

Given these numbers the GT3 is looking like a dedicated track car and one that needs to be on full boil all the time to extract maximum performance. Last but not least, you shouldn't have to pay retail for S X51. I negotiated a hefty discount, not sure I could have done that on the new GT3.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:22 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having driven an "S" to 183 mph on the Autobahn last fall and now driving an S X51 cab at home it's going to be interesting to compare the regular S again in September in Germany and see how the comparison (torque curve and power) do compare at 6000rpm+.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:26 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
Having driven an "S" to 183 mph on the Autobahn last fall and now driving an S X51 cab at home it's going to be interesting to compare the regular S again in September in Germany and see how the comparison (torque curve and power) do compare at 6000rpm+.
Remember the cab is heavier vs coupe so in your case the coupe wt advantage could offset x51 in cab...
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by handful
Before I commited to the S X51, I configured a lightly (there are few options) optioned GT3 and it retailed just above $151,000. The final deal breaker for me is the fact that the GT3 develops so little torque until it hits 6000 rpms where it finally matches the S.

Compared to the 3.8 S/ X51

2000 rpms -30 lb. ft
3000 -30
4000 -40
5000 -18
6000 0
7000 +3

Given these numbers the GT3 is looking like a dedicated track car and one that needs to be on full boil all the time to extract maximum performance. Last but not least, you shouldn't have to pay retail for S X51. I negotiated a hefty discount, not sure I could have done that on the new GT3.
Nice torque analysis, thanks for sharing.

I'm new to shopping the Porsche marquee, you mentioned being able to negotiate a discount... Is this common? And how about when ordering?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:37 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm new to shopping the Porsche marquee, you mentioned being able to negotiate a discount... Is this common? And how about when ordering?
Jack, I got 5% off on a custom order for my 2014 C4S with X51 and a bunch of other stuff.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7568...uild-info.html

Might have been able to get more if I pressed...
Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 AM
ColoradoCayenne
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I love turbo charged cars, but I felt like I had to draw the line somewhere buying my first 911. I targeted the best NA 911, and that is the 4S. I went back and forth on the power kit, but ultimately decided that I would probably wish I had added it a little down the road into ownership. Like handful, I also call the thin air of Colorado home. This kit states that it utilizes an increased amount of air forced into the intake. At higher elevations for NA engines (really at all elevations), more air is more power. Opting for the factory fitted 30 HP gain feels like a decision I will be happier with in the long run.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 PM
handful
Instructor

Absolutely, I custom ordered mine and negotiated the discount up front. 5% is the bare minimum.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:05 PM
handful
Instructor

Originally Posted by ColoradoCayenne
I love turbo charged cars, but I felt like I had to draw the line somewhere buying my first 911. I targeted the best NA 911, and that is the 4S. I went back and forth on the power kit, but ultimately decided that I would probably wish I had added it a little down the road into ownership. Like handful, I also call the thin air of Colorado home. This kit states that it utilizes an increased amount of air forced into the intake. At higher elevations for NA engines (really at all elevations), more air is more power. Opting for the factory fitted 30 HP gain feels like a decision I will be happier with in the long run.
Good call, what color/options?

Quick Reply: Real world experience with Carerra S Powerkit?