Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So you think it's just a bumper job, huh?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:20 AM
spar10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this was interesting to see, thanks for posting!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:32 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Zamir
The new 991's are "no-pull" meaning under NO circumstances do they get frame pulls. It's all aluminum which is much stronger than steel so it'll take a hit, but then when it gives, it'll have to be replaced.

I'm gonna correct myself here - those are not welds coming apart. They are 2 panels riveted together. Being Aluminum sheet, we were able to repair that by cold straightening. If it wouldn't have come out by hand - it would have basically totaled the car.

Crikey!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:21 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd also like to know about which insurance companies are "Porsche friendly" or whatever.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Series 900
Nice job, never would know that the hidden damage was that large! what was the ballpark figure for repair? parts vs labor? Did the adjuster look like this?? I bet you looked at him and
This particular insurance company is one we work with directly. So there was no adjuster, and our auditor had nothing to say about our estimate.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Wow. Great work. Thanks for sharing.

What was the total cost to the insurance company? How long for the repairs, start to finish? Thanks.
It was a long time ago, but I think it was about $30K. And repairs took about 3 weeks, but there was also about 10-14 days of waiting for parts.

Originally Posted by ruhlich
Sam:

Secondly, my curiosity is about how you guys get your training to just jump in (seemingly) and pull body parts, drop an engine and replace a frame on a new car.....??
At the Porsche Training center, we do this exact repair (and a similar job on the front and sides) on training cars (called white body cars). And we are encouraged to risk mistakes and mess up there (versus in the real world). We let the service department handle the mechanical portions (they have their own training), just as they leave these things to us.

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
what the heck is wrong with using a spray nozzle to wash a car? dealer lots use pressure washers and a shockingly low volume of clean rags. after watching a new car pulled apart a wash up would be the least of my concerns.. I for one will pull my policy and read up on replacement parts. Sound like porsche standards to maintain warranties would work in our favor.
You'd be surprised (about the washing). A wonderful execution of a repair coupled with great customer service can be grossly overshadowed by a bad wash (or heaven forbid - water spots).

On the subject of insurance - I applaud anyone who does this very thing. At the least, drop your agent an email and ask "what happens if my repair shop wants to repair the car at a higher standard that what the claims adjuster is willing to pay?" Maybe ask specifics like "what if my shop charges a higher labor rate than 'average' shops?" "Do you pay for jig rentals?"

Though aftermarket parts are not an issue with these cars (yet), make sure your policy allows for NEW OEM parts. And also, make sure you have good rental coverage (at least $50/day for 30 days)

Originally Posted by spar10
this was interesting to see, thanks for posting!
Thank you all for reading (and asking great questions) and allowing great dialogue.

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I'd also like to know about which insurance companies are "Porsche friendly" or whatever.
You won't hear me bad mouth any particular insurance company, but there are a couple we just will NOT work with. With others we have a "let's see how it goes" relationship. I can tell you I have a GREAT relationship with the major carriers: State Farm, Allstate, Mercury come to mind. Also the carriers who specialize in high end cars (and customers) Kemper Preferred, Chubb, Fireman's Fund.

A final word, being a PACC (Porsche Approved Collision Center) we have exclusive access to those parts. Not even the dealership gets their hands on those parts. They are shipped directly to the shop from Porsche. So if this car ends up at a non-PACC, since they can't even get the parts, they will just patch the cosmetic and pretend they never saw this damage? What exposure does that leave you with in the event of another rear end accident? What if you took it to your "buddy's shop" for "just a bumper job" and there was in fact frame damage? What would it cost you to have your buddy reassemble the car again then show up at my door step to start all over? How much time and money does that waste?

Since Porsche won't even release the frame/chassis specs to non-PACC's, those shops won't even be able to check the car to see if it is out of spec. They can't get the jigs and/or measuring data. So even if it IS "just a bumper job" you'll never actually know for sure. What is that risk worth?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:26 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Is there a waya for the average Joe to find a similar "network" (for lack of a better term?) shop in their area? Its one of those things that's better to know about before hand than after the fact when things happen and papers get signed much faster.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Is there a waya for the average Joe to find a similar "network" (for lack of a better term?) shop in their area? Its one of those things that's better to know about before hand than after the fact when things happen and papers get signed much faster.
Search for PACC's here:
https://www.porschecollisioncenter.c...x=0&submit.y=0

I realize it's not couth to post external links. But this is a link to the actual manufacturer (technically the importer - PCNA (Porsche Cars North America). Good luck!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:45 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

i wish there were more shops like yours out there. you guys are artists
Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Search for PACC's here:
https://www.porschecollisioncenter.c...x=0&submit.y=0

I realize it's not couth to post external links. But this is a link to the actual manufacturer (technically the importer - PCNA (Porsche Cars North America). Good luck!
Queen City, 0.8 mi from home. Oh yeah, its good to live in Redmond!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I still don't believe it. There must be a picture missing of when the frame was bent after the bumper was off. It just doesn't look possible. Maybe your pictures don't show the detail of the first impact the car presented with.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:12 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Thanks! Good to know, just in case.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:00 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Opps. Posted to the wrong thread.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:19 AM
tron786
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
Washing the car with a spray nozzle? Yikes! .
what's wrong with this exactly?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 AM
PDK1965
Instructor

Just saw this and learned a lot, including that a Porsche approved collision center is nearby, and was the one I was referred by my local dealer. Thanks Sam for the education.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:30 AM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Very glad I am near you guys😎. Nice work
Old 05-21-2015, 05:51 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Originally Posted by svb
Very glad I am near you guys😎. Nice work
Thanks for the compliment. I hope you never need me, but if you're ever in the area, stop by. I love chatting it up with Rennlisters. And if you need any little touch ups and stuff, I'll take care of it for free while we chat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So you think it's just a bumper job, huh?