Sponsored by:

Mounting front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Zaim
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting front license plate

I have struggled with the decision to mount the dealer provided front license plate mounting bracket as I live in NY and I have yet to be ticketed but realize its just a matter of time. Was wondering if anyone has installed it themselves and how it went ... i.ie. pre drill... self tapping srews how long etc.???? I don't feel like making a trip to the dealer for that reason alone. I've explored other mounting options like the tow billett etc. but don't like the side mount ... Anyway any help appreciated ... Although its a lease still breaks my heart to dell bumper
Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

It broke my heart too! But, the thought of having a drink or two and the risk of being pulled over turned the table. It sucked but I did it. Ny has very few opportunities for second chances.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the Porsche front plate mount fits into grooves on the upper lip of the bumper - it self-centers with those. Painless, easy.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaim
I have struggled with the decision to mount the dealer provided front license plate mounting bracket as I live in NY and I have yet to be ticketed but realize its just a matter of time. Was wondering if anyone has installed it themselves and how it went ... i.ie. pre drill... self tapping srews how long etc.???? I don't feel like making a trip to the dealer for that reason alone. I've explored other mounting options like the tow billett etc. but don't like the side mount ... Anyway any help appreciated ... Although its a lease still breaks my heart to dell bumper
Skene design bracket = perfect
Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

My son lives in California and never mounts his front plate. I would keep it in the trunk with it mounted on the bracket and if you get stopped, just tell the cop that you want to mount it but are waiting for the "special" mounting hardware so you don't damage the bumper. If you get a ticket once in awhile, it just might be the price of admission on not having that ugly piece of flat metal on the front of the car.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 AM
jmm
Advanced

If you can afford the car, you can afford the ticket.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Thegman
Banned

Skene is the way to go. NO VISIBLE HOLES! The bracket is about $50.00 (over priced) but it works great.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:23 PM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, also very happy with Skene. No visible holes and assuming you don't have a functioning centre rad you can mount the plate much lower on the bumper.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:42 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bernpep
Skene design bracket = perfect
If an when I do it, it will probably be that one.

Thanks. Wish there was a better way though. The tow hook is too distracting and would interfere with sensors.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep my front plate wrapped in clear plastic and tucked in between my passenger seat and console. When I park on-street in urban areas, I put it inside my windshield. I suppose if i get pulled over for some reason, I can quickly place it on the dash - not sure if that will satisfy anyone, but maybe I'll get some credit for having the plate with me?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Zaim
AutoX

Originally Posted by ny991
It broke my heart too! But, the thought of having a drink or two and the risk of being pulled over turned the table. It sucked but I did it. Ny has very few opportunities for second chances.
Thanks everyone you all bring up very valid and great points along with great suggestions
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Zaim
AutoX

Originally Posted by ny991
Well said my man! Where in NY are you located? You plan on attending the trek this weekend?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Zaim
AutoX

Default Thx John52

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
the Porsche front plate mount fits into grooves on the upper lip of the bumper - it self-centers with those. Painless, easy.
Thx John
Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Zaim
AutoX

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Originally Posted by Hammer911
I keep my front plate wrapped in clear plastic and tucked in between my passenger seat and console. When I park on-street in urban areas, I put it inside my windshield. I suppose if i get pulled over for some reason, I can quickly place it on the dash - not sure if that will satisfy anyone, but maybe I'll get some credit for having the plate with me?
Very slick Hammer
Old 06-03-2013, 10:49 PM
bboerit
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Skene here too

Quick Reply: Mounting front license plate