Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cigarette lighter socket for charging?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 PM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cigarette lighter socket for charging?

Anyone using the Porsche (CTEK) cigarette lighter socket to charge their battery. I was reading the Imanual and it says after 30 minutes of accessory use the power is cut to the socket. However, when charging the power is going the "opposite direction" so wondering if the 30 minute limit still applies.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I've been using the CTEK battery maintainer as with my previous Porsches, plugged into the socket in the front passenger seat footwell. It seems to work as it always has, and the light stays green for days.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
Yes, I've been using the CTEK battery maintainer as with my previous Porsches, plugged into the socket in the front passenger seat footwell. It seems to work as it always has, and the light stays green for days.
This is also what my SA told me to do. Run wire below passenger's door and and keep it closed.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:13 AM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
I stored mine for three months this winter with the charger plugged in there. Didn't know any better but was thinking the cigarette lighter goes off but the power plug wouldn't. It worked.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using the Porsche charger on the smoking package plug (center console) with no problems so far. Seems to work just fine and - unless the charger is just lying - the plug stays active.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:59 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Wanted to confirm something - I did not go with the smoking package because I like the compartment there to be open for me to actually put my phone there (or keys, coins, gum)

I want to confirm - if one does not go with this free smoking package - there IS a cigarette lighter somewhere in the car to be able to plug my phone in for charging.

Will someone comment?
Old 08-27-2016, 09:32 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

^^ Yes. You'll be fine. This is the era of Apple CarPlay. A few options other than the smokers pkg
Old 08-27-2016, 09:32 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Wanted to confirm something - I did not go with the smoking package because I like the compartment there to be open for me to actually put my phone there (or keys, coins, gum)

I want to confirm - if one does not go with this free smoking package - there IS a cigarette lighter somewhere in the car to be able to plug my phone in for charging.

Will someone comment?
Yeah, there seems to be confusion about whether the switched outlets can be used or not. I'd think not, how can it work properly if the car switches it off unless it was specifically engineered with some trick to keep it alive during charging? Porsche doesn't seem to think such a trick exists, or at least they don't appear to recommend it, since on the TEquipment web site they offer an adapter to be used when the car does not have the cigarette lighter option ($31, part 958 044 900 75). I imagine this is the direct-to-battery connector that CTek offers for less ($13 on Amazon) but that isn't clear. Here that is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-382-C...f=pd_sim_263_8.

Here is the TEquipment info I am referencing.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

The smoking package puts a lighter socket in the center console at the rear. If you don't order it, it's a small tray instead. The smoking package socket is, I believe, switched, so can't be used for charging anyway. There is another socket on the wall of the console on the passenger side that can be used with a charger. I think you get this socket regardless whether you get the smoking package, but I can't confirm that because I have the package.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
I like the compartment there to be open for me to actually put my phone there (or keys, coins, gum)
B.S., take your pick; one coin, one key, or one stick of gum. Because it will NOT hold all 3! And if you pick a quarter, you're screwed because it won't fit. Get the smokers package.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:06 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Need4S
The smoking package puts a lighter socket in the center console at the rear. If you don't order it, it's a small tray instead. The smoking package socket is, I believe, switched, so can't be used for charging anyway. There is another socket on the wall of the console on the passenger side that can be used with a charger. I think you get this socket regardless whether you get the smoking package, but I can't confirm that because I have the package.
Sorry to disagree, but all cars get the outlet in the back of the console. Mine has never had the smoking package and that outlet is there and I've confirmed it switches off after the 30 minute or so delay. Maybe this will help reduce the confusion: Suncoast sells a retrofit to add the smokers package to the car. It requires replacing both the tray and adding wiring for the lighter outlet that sits inside the smoker's tray as shown here. This is apparently the only interior outlet that Porsche recommends for the charged.

Here are the Suncoast parts: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991ASHH.html

Here is a photo of the outlet inside the tray (from a post of someone trying to sell theirs after retrofitting the non-smoking package):
Old 08-27-2016, 01:46 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Seems to be conflicting info. What I'm asking is if my Samsung can charge in the car like it would in any car using my cig adapter car charger .

The car is past the change point so I can't add any packages now.

There's gotta be a place to put a car charger (not usb) somewhere else in the car no?
Old 08-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

On the 991.2 if you do not get the smokers package the only outlet is the one on the passenger side footwell. The 991.1 had an outlet in the center console, this was deleted in the 991.2 because the USB port for the apple car play is now in the center console, not glove box. You can use the passenger side footwell to charge your phone with a cigarette style usb adaptor. You can also use this outlet to run a battery tender to maintain your battery.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
On the 991.2 if you do not get the smokers package the only outlet is the on on the passenger side footwell. The 991.1 had an outlet in the center console, this was deleted in the 991.2 because the USB port for the apple car play is now in the center console, not glove box.

You can use the passenger side footwell to charge your phone with a cigarette style use adaptor. You can also use this outlet to run a battery tender to maintain your battery.
Perfect. So as long as my phone charger is long enough for it to allow me to leave my phone in the cradle Ill be buying or at least on the passenger seat - it will be fine.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:05 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Oh, sorry Bradley. Two bad posts from me in 24 hours. Dang. I leapt to thinking that you were talking about using a trickle charger (CTek) or otherwise like in the original post. Reminder to self: Read the question fully next time!

Quick Reply: Cigarette lighter socket for charging?