Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are the Base 991 manual shift reviews??

Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Chris Harris armed with the same speculation and questions of the OP, wrung out a very sparsely equipped 991 7 speed about 6 months ago in Excellence. He had sold his 997 S to get a non-S, which he found to be more his idea of a 911 sweet spot- so wanted to see if it still would hit him that way. He did not find the same with the 991, due to the performance distance from the 991S- due to a mix of things, torque and tires being the obvious ones.

To me the 991 platform is so good the differences are all marginal. I like the options route to matching marginal cost to personal value.
last sentence was very well put. Do agree that you need the X51 package to make the "S" a material better performer versus base. Both are sweet cars and it all does depend on value creation. I saw the CH cliping you are talking about. He said he would like to see the base in different tires to make a real assessment.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
last sentence was very well put. Do agree that you need the X51 package to make the "S" a material better performer versus base. Both are sweet cars and it all does depend on value creation. I saw the CH cliping you are talking about. He said he would like to see the base in different tires to make a real assessment.
I have seen no test data or user experience on the incremental performance of the X51 package- but I sure didn't suggest and do not think one needs the X51 package to make the S a better performer than the base. For normal street driving or even spirited country road driving both cars are so quick that I don't think the ~50 HP and Ft/lbs of torque mean that much to the fun quotient, but they are there and to me very obvious, as obvious as all of the comparative test data I have seen.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 02-24-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where are the Base 991 manual shift reviews??