Sponsored by:

991 Maintenance...shadetree mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 991 Maintenance...shadetree mechanic

I was just wondering if any of you are going to do any of your own maintenance on your 991's, or just take it to the dealer for service?
I know there are pros and cons to doing your own maintenance, resale for example.
Perspective buyers like to see dealer maintenance logs, but doing it yourself does give one a sense of satisfaction, and you learn a lot about how things work.
I generally will cut Porsche's recommended oil change interval in half and do my own oil changes in between.
On my 2005 Boxster, so far I've changed the engine oil, done both front and rear brakes...pads, rotors and sensors, changed the manual transmission oil, changed the brake fluid, changed the air filter, topped up the power steering fluid, and will soon change the drive belt and spark plugs.
Unfortunately, Porsche's are not the easiest vehicles to work on.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
I was just wondering if any of you are going to do any of your own maintenance on your 991's, or just take it to the dealer for service?
I know there are pros and cons to doing your own maintenance, resale for example.
Perspective buyers like to see dealer maintenance logs, but doing it yourself does give one a sense of satisfaction, and you learn a lot about how things work.
I generally will cut Porsche's recommended oil change interval in half and do my own oil changes in between.
On my 2005 Boxster, so far I've changed the engine oil, done both front and rear brakes...pads, rotors and sensors, changed the manual transmission oil, changed the brake fluid, changed the air filter, topped up the power steering fluid, and will soon change the drive belt and spark plugs.
Unfortunately, Porsche's are not the easiest vehicles to work on.
If you have managed all that on a Boxter, the 991 should be no more of problem -once you learn how to remove the multitude of panels and body parts that are in the way. Removing the rear cap to replace intake filters seems nuts, but apparently is scary only the first time! My mechanic tells me the routine maintenance is really no worse - time wise- than when we used to adjust valves and replace distributer caps, etc.

I used to consider all of that as much a part of owning a Porsche as driving but now that the service intervals are so long I am out of practice!

Quick Reply: 991 Maintenance...shadetree mechanic