Sponsored by:

New Owner - 3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Rfong
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - 3 questions

My 2013 991 Cab is all that was advertised and more but I have found three annoying issues.

1. Multiple Keys Detected: I have Keyless Entry and when I get in to drive and my wife gets in the passenger seat, we both have our individual key fobs in our pockets. The dash warning light shows a yellow key symbol and the message says, "Multiple Keys detected." There is a constant low level warning tone emitted while the condition exists even after the full screen warning is reduced to a small key symbol by flicking the control stalk to the right of the steering wheel.

Is there a way to by-pass this warning and stop the tone sound? Many times we will drive somewhere, I'll get out and she continues to her destination so we both need our key fobs with us. Or if we drive somewhere, park and then she comes back to the car on her own, she would not be able to get into the car without her fob.

2. Dummy Key: It was a dumb decision to include the Dummy Key. Is there an aftermarket modification to replace the Dummy Key with a proper Start/ Stop button?

3. Backup Camera: How can you buy a $100+K car that does not have a basic safety feature that a $20K Hyundia has as standard equipment? Is there a recommended aftermarket solution?
Old 12-24-2012, 08:28 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Let me guess you have a pdk.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Let me guess you have a pdk.
Those are three good questions.

The first seems so like it should have an obvious answer. I hope it is not "D'oh".

The last two have been asked many times and I have never seen an answer so I guess the aftermarket has not yet responded.

I am trying but can't figure out what PDK would have to do with any of those questions.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

+1 on the dummy key. I'm assuming its because they know that while a dummy key and a start button are both $1 parts, they can get $5k for that same part by only putting it on GT3 and up, or at least $500 as an option. Or maybe in 2014, when we get another $2500 price increase, then the button will appear standard and we can all go "look! We got the button!"

Sorry. Just returned from Christmas at the Mall. Grumpy. Cynical.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:36 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
+1 on the dummy key. I'm assuming its because they know that while a dummy key and a start button are both $1 parts, they can get $5k for that same part by only putting it on GT3 and up, or at least $500 as an option. Or maybe in 2014, when we get another $2500 price increase, then the button will appear standard and we can all go "look! We got the button!"

Sorry. Just returned from Christmas at the Mall. Grumpy. Cynical.
The cure is to hum, "Tis the season to be jolly" while you rub a little instant detailer over the flares...

PS Happy Holidays
Old 12-24-2012, 10:44 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

PDK? That was odd. Whatever. The dummy key does seem strange. Couldn't bring myself to get the option; was concerned about thieves thinking the key was genuine.

NavTV may be the solution for the back up cam:
Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At first I didn't like the dummy key, though I have come to regard it as both an endearing expression of Porsche tradition and a satisfying analog experience starting the car in a digital push-button age.

I am sure arguments can be made that the dummy key will draw thieves to the car. I am no expert in criminology or auto theft statistics, but I personally think that a thief will not break into my car because of that dummy key. And once in, they will press the starter button just as readily as they would a dummy key. Both to no effect. And with the car alarm blaring, hopefully. Anyway..just weird. I started to like this dummy key. I look forward to turning it and feeling the thrum of the engine. I like its size and feel. I don't miss the pushbuttons of my last two Audi's and two Mini's also actually..hehe. Pushbuttons are pretty regular now in new upscale cars..I like that Porsche is bucking the trend a bit.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:47 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Sorry holms, couldn't make it past the 2nd "porsh".
Old 12-25-2012, 03:10 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rfong
My 2013 991 Cab is all that was advertised and more but I have found three annoying issues.

1. Multiple Keys Detected: I have Keyless Entry and when I get in to drive and my wife gets in the passenger seat, we both have our individual key fobs in our pockets. The dash warning light shows a yellow key symbol and the message says, "Multiple Keys detected." There is a constant low level warning tone emitted while the condition exists even after the full screen warning is reduced to a small key symbol by flicking the control stalk to the right of the steering wheel.

Is there a way to by-pass this warning and stop the tone sound? Many times we will drive somewhere, I'll get out and she continues to her destination so we both need our key fobs with us. Or if we drive somewhere, park and then she comes back to the car on her own, she would not be able to get into the car without her fob.
Asked and answered on 6SpeedOnline. Cross posting is not routinely a polite thing to do. It suggests you believe we lied to you over there and we might give you a different answer if you ask here.

2. Dummy Key: It was a dumb decision to include the Dummy Key. Is there an aftermarket modification to replace the Dummy Key with a proper Start/ Stop button?
Any lawnmower supply can provide a button.

May I suggest that joining a forum of people you should presume are happy with this car goes more smoothly if you don't begin by insulting our taste. You might tentatively ask whether we know why Porsche chose a traditional key instead of a generator-style start button. You might even say you personally would like to replace it with a button and ask whether the one from a garden supply will work. Telling us it is a stupid design decision merely says you're a person who buys cars he thinks are stupid and is convinced we are also.
3. Backup Camera: How can you buy a $100+K car that does not have a basic safety feature that a $20K Hyundia has as standard equipment?
I used a check.
Is there a recommended aftermarket solution?
Buy a Hyundai.

Gary
Old 12-25-2012, 03:34 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Geez Louise! And I thought I was grumpy!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:47 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Geez Louise! And I thought I was grumpy!

Merry Christmas!
It will be. By hook or by crook. I'm taking three aspirin and calling Santa in the morning.

Gary
Old 12-25-2012, 03:51 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
At first I didn't like the dummy key, though I have come to regard it as both an endearing expression of Porsche tradition and a satisfying analog experience starting the car in a digital push-button age.

I am sure arguments can be made that the dummy key will draw thieves to the car. I am no expert in criminology or auto theft statistics, but I personally think that a thief will not break into my car because of that dummy key. And once in, they will press the starter button just as readily as they would a dummy key. Both to no effect. And with the car alarm blaring, hopefully. Anyway..just weird. I started to like this dummy key. I look forward to turning it and feeling the thrum of the engine. I like its size and feel. I don't miss the pushbuttons of my last two Audi's and two Mini's also actually..hehe. Pushbuttons are pretty regular now in new upscale cars..I like that Porsche is bucking the trend a bit.
Oh push buttons are now on many cars...including Kia
Old 12-25-2012, 03:53 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
It will be. By hook or by crook. I'm taking three aspirin and calling Santa in the morning.

Gary
Get well soon Gary
Old 12-25-2012, 04:56 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Buy a Hyundai.
hehehehe
Old 12-25-2012, 06:50 AM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really do like the fake key fob as it gives me the feeling of turning a real key. Pushing a button really does get old quickly (at least for me). Call me crazy but I would pay extra for that fake key over a button! Hah. But I could imagine you getting one of those blank buttons on the center counsel to program an ignition switch in the car. Worth looking into.
But I think they will add that back up camera down the line. All part of marketing. Parking sensors work great for me though.
Can't answer your first question though..

Quick Reply: New Owner - 3 questions