Sponsored by:

PSE retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 PM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSE retrofit DIY

I know that there were was a way to retrofit PSE on 997. Its pricy if done via retrofit kit, but once in a while someone is selling their PSE mufflers on ebay, which makes for an opportunity to upgrade on the cheap. Installation of exhaust is easy, but getting vacuum line for the valves and a way to actuate them is probably the more difficult part. On 997, there was a company called Carnewal that offered a small remote fob to turn on PSE.

Personally, I think that PSE is too expensive of an option considering that Porsche is basically just throwing in a couple of valves and a button. But if I could get PSE parts on the cheap on ebay, I would love to take this on as a fun DIY project. What I don't want, is to buy the PSE and end up not being able to make it work.

So, does anyone know if this can be done as a DIY? Do all three mufflers need to be replaced or just side or center ones?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy the full system from the dealer or someplace like suncoast. It comes with the center exhaust, valves, plus an entire new button console( the set of switches that has the sport button, traction control etc). From what I understand there has to be a small reprogramming done by the dealer as well, although I haven't confirmed this. From some reason the non-S model ( that I have) is slightly more expensive.

I have been looking for a DIY solution as well and frankly I'm a bit confused by the exhaust options. I have seen a few 991S exhausts for sale on eBay, and it looks like those have the control valve system as well even on the non-PSE option. Can anyone confirm this?
Also, can anyone confirm that the dealer has to do a reprogramming once the system is installed?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

About two months after buying my pre-owned 2010 C2S, I bought PSE mufflers from Suncoast Porsche for about $2,550 . I had swapped mufflers a couple of times on my '04 996 so installing the mufflers themselves is not that difficult.

However, after reading the Porsche instructions, I decided that the wiring and vacuum hoses were going to be very complex and time consuming, so I opted to have the local dealer install them. They quoted me $900 for the entire installation. The Porsche service book states it is an 8 hour job, but it took them about 12 hours. I am glad I didn't attempt this myself.

Quick Reply: PSE retrofit DIY