991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up 991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install

Howdy guys,

got the SmartTOP module today from Mods4Cars Took one week for shipping to my door from the day of order.

Here are the contents, pretty simple:

The actual control module, a USB cable for firmware updates and programming, and the harness used to plug into the car's electronics wiring. Also included is a velcro sticky that you can stick onto the module and a stable surface of the car (I used the metal cover below the cable connect point). I did this last after everything was attached and wired in and after I checked for correct operation.

First thing to do is load up the M4Connect app on your mac or pc - they have both versions. Connect the module to your USB port, and the module will scan itself and check the Mods4Cars server for any firmware updates. This app will also let you program your module to your specific tastes in window position and general behavior of your cabriolet top, etc.

With the module programmed and firmware checked, I collected the install kit, a phillips-head screwdriver, and a pair of needle-nose pliers and went to the car. To access the install area, you put the top into "service" position which is half-way open.

Next you carefully pull up on the two rectangular areas above the seats to access the screws that hold the rear cover in position. Removing these is simple and straightforward and I printed out the online install manual to refer to along the way.

Next after a few trim pieces are removed (just carefully pull up on them) as per the manual, you come to pulling back the carpet which is hooked in three places - the ends, and the middle. The middle will pull off easily enough, but at the ends I needed the needle-nose pliers to grab the carpet and pull so there was enough slack to un-hook the ends. It took a bit of fiddling, but came off easily enough.

Now I rolled the carpet back and tucked it so it would stay, exposing the electronics harness area of the cabriolet top. This area is behind the rear seats and faces to the rear, and is difficult to see without a mirror or looking through the rear window - (difficult to do if you are working from the back seat) - so what I did is use the front camera on my iPhone to see what I was doing. I propped up the iPhone against the rolled back carpet, and it worked like a charm - my own "rear" view camera Here is what the area looks like from that camera angle pointing forward. Again this is a very tight space so I'm actually kneeling on the back seats behind this wall of wiring and reaching back here.

In the above photo, the wiring connector on the left is what I will unplug, plug into the SmartTop harness, and then plug the SmartTop harness into that left socket. The SmartTop harness uses the exact same harness connection and high-quality plug and it fits perfectly.

After this, I brought the module back and plugged it into the SmartTop harness also, and looked around for a suitable place to attach it. I found the metal plate right below the harness connections worked fine for me and did not obstruct anything. I peeled off the velcro and attached the module.

It it both firmly attached yet able to easily be removed if need be. After checking the diagnostic light on the module with the ignition switched on - (it should blink, a steady green is a possible fault) - I switched off the ignition, checked everything once more, and rolled the carpet back up and reversed the install procedure. It reassembled perfectly with nothing sticking out anywhere or out of place. It fits perfectly in the space back there.

It is optional to do, but I left the USB cable plugged into the unit for an easy update if need be, so I wouldn't have to unhook the carpet and roll it back again. I have extra sticky sided velcro tape, so I just laid the cable under the carpet and attached the end of the cord with sticky two-sided velcro under the plastic trim that screws down. Easy and secure. I'll just need to unscrew and remove that one long trim piece to update the firmware. Since it is a brand-new module for this car, I kind of expect some type of update in the next few months, but who knows really..maybe I'll just end up removing the cord next summer without needing to use it.

Anyway, there we go. I can now open and close the top remotely, and with one-touch operation inside the car, as well as a few other improvements you can look up on the operation manual if interested. Module Operation and Programming Porsche 991 Cabriolet

And now.. on to winter Porsche cabriolet driving adventures!

Last edited by Nicoli35; 11-27-2012 at 02:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Deniro (08-15-2019)
Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, a great DIY guide! Thanks very much. Opening the cab top remotely is a great feature.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Nicely done. We offer this unit as well.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Nicoli35, it is posts like yours that make this forum so valuable and fun. In my case, if I attempted such a mod., my car would burn to the ground as soon as I turned the key on. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 PM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Righteous. Good job using your iPhone camera as an assistance.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

thanks a lot..I'm just a cabrio driver who wants his convertible top to work right..really glad to share the install experience
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for that. I may install one in the Spring.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:47 AM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Nicoli, I know you posted this over 2 years ago, but wanted to thank you for your help here. After looking at your thread over and over, I installed mine in 20 minutes. All went perfectly. Your thread was invaluable, paticularly the iphone tip! Just wanted to express my gratitude.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:05 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Super awesome! Glad to hear and thanks. Way to go!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:28 AM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Thanks! Your thread sold me!

This setup is the way the car should have come factory. Holding that button was ridiculous! This mod is a must have!

Much cooler to see the top fold from outside of car!
Old 06-07-2015, 02:29 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Thanks for install summary - cell phone tip was very helpful!

Yes - after pondering for a while I figured how hard could it be (it wasn't) I went ahead and bought one.

Only thing I will add - the first two small trim pieces you pull off (that cover the rollover hoops), they hinge on the side facing the front of the car, so pull up on the side facing the rear/engine.

One question - what is the best way to lock the car if you want to walk away and let the top close (or do you just have to wait until it is closed and then lock it)?
Old 06-07-2015, 06:19 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

The crazy thing is this is standard on European cabriolets - aarrrgghh!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
The crazy thing is this is standard on European cabriolets - aarrrgghh!
seriously? another anti-idiot-litigation feature from PCNA!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:09 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys! I think I will order one of these as well.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
Thanks guys! I think I will order one of these as well.
I have one waiting to install when my Cabriolet gets here from Germany, its a must have for a cabriolet IMO

Quick Reply: 991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install