Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Window Buffeting Solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

The new sport mirrors don't completely solve the issue either.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:00 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
The new sport mirrors don't completely solve the issue either.
Based on the vids on the net of GT3s at speed, the buffeting in 991s with sport mirrors is the same as those without. They are available now from Suncoast, in all varieties of folding and non- apparently for style rather than performance.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 AM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, buffeting is a big problem in my non-sunroof coupe with the windows open. Those of us with hearing aids get an extra dose.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:46 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Based on the vids on the net of GT3s at speed, the buffeting in 991s with sport mirrors is the same as those without. They are available now from Suncoast, in all varieties of folding and non- apparently for style rather than performance.
GT3 is better, I've driven both. All cars have some buffeting, but 991 with standard mirrors is bad.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ohniner
Those of us with 991 cabs have the same issue. Cannot have the window down all the way or else there is buffeting.
Indeed. For Cabriolet owners, the buffet problem is only with the driver's side down, and the rest up. All windows down on the cab (as if at a track) has no buffet.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:25 PM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What would be a cool workaround (can't call it a solution, that would be Porsche dealing with this problem by re-molding the plastic driver side A-pillar piece to prevent this issue):

An anti-buffeting flap that pops out when you open the window and retracts again when you close it, like this parking protector:

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/2011/...otector-video/
(see video in the article)

So far I've only seen workarounds like this by http://www.blackmillperformance.com/:

Old 07-20-2014, 03:43 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

After stating the problem above on my post of 3-10-2014, I installed the Blackmillperformance unit (http://www.blackmillperformance.com/) in our 2913 C2 Coupe (no sunroof) and it has worked to our great satisfaction.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
After stating the problem above on my post of 3-10-2014, I installed the Blackmillperformance unit (http://www.blackmillperformance.com/) in our 2913 C2 Coupe (no sunroof) and it has worked to our great satisfaction.
Interesting. Does it glue or tape to place and is it pretty permanent?

Prefer something reversible.....
Old 07-20-2014, 05:15 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

The backing is pre-glued under a peel-away shield that is easy to remove. Though I have not had the need to try and they are attached solidly, I suspect the deflectors can be removed if necessary.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:42 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I wish they had more images from the side and front. I am not sure of the fit.

And they are awfully expensive.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:14 PM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just look at this diy idea (taken from this thread; https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8252...t-ideas-2.html)

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Here is the easy-on easy-off buffet defeater I made first from cardboard, then from plastic (thick juice bottle works well). It just lays over the plastic triangle and stays put when the door is closed. Only one is needed to totally end the obnoxious booming that starts at around 70 mph with one or both windows down. This one works to 120 it is rumored, not that I would know.... Judging from the ones planned for commercial sale, it might be overkill, but at the price the OJ was good and the bottle plastic a bonus.

Popping the back of the sunroof if you have one also fixes the problem. I made this one for use at the track where there is a ridiculous rule that the windows must be down and the sunroof not popped.

I had visions of my son printing these a dozen at a time and selling them for enough to buy a Turbo. But he thought the section that folds over where the door closes would have to be so thick (using the PLA stuff he had) that it might damage the window rubber trim. A printer that uses carbon fiber filament would be the ticket. So I settled for painted plastic or popping the sunroof and my plain old C2S.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:55 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VOLTCONTROL
Just look at this diy idea (taken from this thread
i'll fab one up and test it out...
Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took a piece of thin cardboard, folded it so it was held in by the door when it was closed and filled the gap between the car and mirror, similar to the solution above, and it stopped the buffeting. So the good news, is that it is an easy fix. It was even sufficient to have it only on the driver's side, but I only tested one day on track, so can't swear both sides won't be better.

Now, who will come out with a solution that will win the hearts and minds?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:13 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

With all due respect to the imaginative folks who crafted fixes out of cardboard and other waste products, I admire their craft. However, I wanted something more functional and fashionable for a Porsche. I did not mind spending $200+ to fix a problem in a $100,000 car. Please do not denigrate the effort. I bought my deflectors at http://www.blackmillperformance.com/. They work great and look great. They also cost > $200 and are worth it for me. Each to their own.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
With all due respect to the imaginative folks who crafted fixes out of cardboard and other waste products, I admire their craft. However, I wanted something more functional and fashionable for a Porsche. I did not mind spending $200+ to fix a problem in a $100,000 car. Please do not denigrate the effort. I bought my deflectors at http://www.blackmillperformance.com/. They work great and look great. They also cost > $200 and are worth it for me. Each to their own.
They look good to me, but are in fact no more functional than any of the alternatives. Any similar deflector does the job equally well. On my car with a similarly shaped flic, only one side was needed to totally fix the problem. At the price of those, sharing a pair might make sense.

Of all the solutions that have shown up here so far, the one that SM_Atlanta tested (that apparently replaces the entire small plastic triangle) looks the least like an add on kludge.

Quick Reply: 991 Window Buffeting Solution