Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no back up Camera on the 991?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 12:37 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Exactly, which still doesn't explain why the 991, which is a GT, doesn't have one.
GT??

Ok, if you never use sport or sport+ ...I understand.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:52 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Don't mess up, Champion. I know you read this.
One day has come and gone and still waiting for their reply.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:38 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
While we are at it, toss in some curb feelers.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:31 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just ordered my C2S with the front and rear sensors. I currently have a car with sensors and a rear camera. I know people are knocking members who want the camera, but the truth is if it was standard no one would be begging Porsche to take it off. It only takes one close call in a parking lot with the rear camera to realize it can help. I wouldn't cancel an order because of it, but it's a nice feature.
I agree the whole sports car argument isn't fair. If it's in the name of weight saving, the 991 shouldn't have a nice stereo, a sunroof option, power seats, etc. Most people on here probably drive their cars frequently, if not everyday. To many, these things matter.
I hope the option comes before my freeze date, but it sounds like it won't until MY2015, which is a bit annoying.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM
emmros
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a deal breaker here for this option for me personally. However, it's nice to have when backing into a space and being able to see what's back there is important for me.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:30 PM
mgent
Instructor

458 = back-up camera
LP560 = back-up camera
MP412C = back-up camera
991 TT/TTS = back-up camera

and I'm pretty sure those are all sports cars... I think they just didn't know where to put it, and I assume its in the turbo wing...
Old 10-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mgent
458 = back-up camera
LP560 = back-up camera
MP412C = back-up camera
991 TT/TTS = back-up camera and I'm pretty sure those are all sports cars... I think they just didn't know where to put it, and I assume its in the turbo wing...
I also was thinking it was in the wing, but it's not. The back-up camera is in the bumper, above the license plate, so I think that will eventually be available for the Carrera models too, maybe from MY2015.

Suzy991
Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Still hoping Porsche adds this option for us before my order locks in December/January.

If discrete, I like the technology and I'd like to get ride of the sensor dimples for rear park assist (standard) on the cabriolet bumper.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the camera on my 14 Cayenne and love it. Do not have it on my 13 Cayman S Cabriolet but have park assist. The camera wins hands down! Camera is really helpful for backing into parking spaces, for assessing how close one is to a car or concrete. Don't use it for checking oncoming traffic before backing out. Eyes work better for that.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

I have this surround view on our 2011 BMW 550i. I use it all the time. Something like that would be nice, but I am wondering if BMW has a patent on it because I have not seen it on other cars.

In addition to the surround view, it has cameras on the front to peak out of a very narrow, or obstructed driveway due to the long front of the car. And it also has the usual backup camera. Obviously the 991 nose is not very long but I keep using that side view on the BMW to make sure I don't drag the bottom of the front spoiler onto those nasty concrete block when I park straight in. But I only do that where I am forced to go straight in. Otherwise I back up.

I think an option would be nice. You don't think it should be there, don't order it. I was surprised the 2014 991 did not have this as an option. The sensors work fine but I think it has limitations over the camera. I.e. those cement blocks won't show up on it.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Huncowboy
I have this surround view on our 2011 BMW 550i. I use it all the time. Something like that would be nice, but I am wondering if BMW has a patent on it because I have not seen it on other cars.

In addition to the surround view, it has cameras on the front to peak out of a very narrow, or obstructed driveway due to the long front of the car. And it also has the usual backup camera. Obviously the 991 nose is not very long but I keep using that side view on the BMW to make sure I don't drag the bottom of the front spoiler onto those nasty concrete block when I park straight in. But I only do that where I am forced to go straight in. Otherwise I back up.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDvu2caEuDc

I think an option would be nice. You don't think it should be there, don't order it. I was surprised the 2014 991 did not have this as an option. The sensors work fine but I think it has limitations over the camera. I.e. those cement blocks won't show up on it.
I agree that the surround view of the BMW works great. I also have 5 series equipped with it and I use it a lot. The only thing I don't like are the cameras in the fron fenders. Those are ugly on a light colored car. Luckilly mine is carbonblack.
BMW is certainly nit the only brand to use this system. Range Rover uses it on all models (was introduced with the Evoque a couple of years ago). I think Mercedes also has a surround system.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I would need it on a 991. My Turbo S will have the back-up cam, but to be honest, I'm fine with the sensors. These are all nice features, but not really necassary IMO. When there were no back-up sensors or cameras it wasn't a problem, so why would it be a problem now?

Suzy991
Old 10-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Definitely not a necessity. Not even the sensors. The car is so small and most of us will have plenty experience parking cars by the time we can afford a 911 , I learned parking in a Lada 1200 (stealing it at night from the parents) and a Skoda some 25y ago.

Also if someone has a limited budget for toys, there are other options I would rather have over the electronics. Exhaust, extra HP for the S, etc. Plenty I can think of. But there are always those who are into the latest gadgets, and why not have it if you love those things and don't mind spending the $$$? We all have a different idea about the perfect 911. Hence we call these "options".
Old 10-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Huncowboy
Definitely not a necessity. Not even the sensors. The car is so small and most of us will have plenty experience parking cars by the time we can afford a 911 , I learned parking in a Lada 1200 (stealing it at night from the parents) and a Skoda some 25y ago.

Also if someone has a limited budget for toys, there are other options I would rather have over the electronics. Exhaust, extra HP for the S, etc. Plenty I can think of. But there are always those who are into the latest gadgets, and why not have it if you love those things and don't mind spending the $$$? We all have a different idea about the perfect 911. Hence we call these "options".
On that, I totally agree. I also like to have those gadgets and that is mistly one of the reasons why I order them (Also because of the convenience of course). Nice gadgets to have, but they don't add much to the driving experience

Suzy991
Old 10-20-2013, 02:16 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Re the "Sport Auto" GT3 conclusions, I have no doubt their pro driver was very skilled, but he is also human, and we all have good days and bad days. The impression I get is of a driver who appears diffident, even disdainful and unfocused, so resentful that his huge talents were being applied to this insignificant task forced on him by the media, that it did not even merit him taking the time to put on a helmet or his full concentration while driving.

Presumably the editors of Sport Auto have read the numerous other reviews of the 991 GT3 which differed hugely from their own driver's impression. I can understand their reluctance to accept Porsche's sensational lap times, but how can they disregard ALL the independent Reviews of the GT3, including the highly respected EVO review that found the GT3 to be faster on the track than the far more expensive and powerful McLaren M12C, and faster on the road than both the Nissan GT-R and 997 GT3RS 4.0 and had nothing but high praise for the handling, as did all the independent reviews.
Are we to believe that all the world's car reviewers are stupid and incompetent and only Sport Auto is not?
Surely any cautious magazine editor, with conclusions differing so substantially from, not only from the manufacturer, but all the other Car magazines should have made some effort to verify if its conclusion were accurate and typical of the GT3 or a result of either the driver or the car not being up to their optimal performance - and presented that evidence to the reader in their review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNlr...embedded#at=17
QUESTION TO WALTER ROHRL:
"WHAT DRIVING STYLE DOES THE GT3 REWARD?"

ROHRL'S ANSWER:
"THE ONLY SECRET OF FAST CAR DRIVING IS TO USE YOUR STEERING AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE"
Old 10-20-2013, 02:48 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason is pretty obvious.

As many Corvette aficionados have been positing recently, Porsche is forced to make adjustments to the 911 in a futile effort to cope with Corvette's overwhelming - lower priced - incredibleness, which the 911, with it's abundance of overwhelming - higher priced - incredibleness, does not have.

Therefore, Porsche has not put a rear view camera in the 911 because said camera would never catch a Corvette behind a 911.

That is why, clearly.

Quick Reply: Why no back up Camera on the 991?