Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

More great stuff, Eduardo! Thanks. One minor correction, I think. Cocoa leather, which I have in my '09 Carrera, was considered a "Special" leather and not aniline dyed. AFAIK, on the 997.2 at least, Cocoa was never a "natural" color. In effect, Umber has replaced Cocoa as a Special leather, and Espresso has replaced Natural Brown in the Natural catagory.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Ugh, TWO weeks! We need answers NOW! Just kidding, but would love to know these answers sooner (as I may be ordering very soon). But regardless, appreciate all of your knowledge and effort!

Do you know when the Sport Design steering wheel will be offered with deviated stitching?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Deviating Stitching on 'Sport Design' Optional Steering Wheel

Originally Posted by keithos27
Ugh, TWO weeks! We need answers NOW! Just kidding, but would love to know these answers sooner (as I may be ordering very soon). But regardless, appreciate all of your knowledge and effort!

Do you know when the Sport Design steering wheel will be offered with deviated stitching?
No...but it's coming. But with a 'limited' deviating stitching color selection! More about this in a future post.

The optional 'Sport Design' Steering Wheel was offered with various deviating stitching colors in MY2012 for certain models, including my Spyder. It was option # CLU. The configurator listed the following as the available colors in MY2012 (non-991):

"Deviating stitching in steering wheel rim (2.2a). NOTE: stitching available in Silver, Speed Yellow, Guards Red, Black,White, Stone Grey, Sand Beige, Grey, Carrera Red, Cream, Magnolia, Lipstick Red, Giotto Grey, Titanium Blue, Red Brown."

The problem was that the list of available deviating stitching colors for any other leather panels in the interior was not similar. So what good were all these exotic color selections if you often couldn't match the steering wheel to any other stitching in your interior???

The 'Sport Design' Steering Wheel comes from an outside sub-contractor as a finished product...it is not 'stitched up' in-house at Zuffenhausen's leather shop. That is good and bad! Good because it means that anything is possible (see options offered in MY2012). Bad because PAG has to coordinate closely with the supplier to create an acceptable deviating stitching program ASAP. For now, the supplier has been so busy with meeting increase demand for regular 'Sport Design' steering wheels needed for ramped up series production (991, 981, etc) that the deviating stitching options have been delayed. But I have been told is coming soon...along with 'limited' colors deviating stitching option on the leather shifter for manual transmission cars! Both were unavailable in early production 991's and 981's. Hope this helps!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM
keithos27
Racer

Helps as always! Thanks Eduardo.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 2) Leather Interior Choices - Part 2

2) Leather Interior Choices - Part 2

The new Two Tone (BiColor) interior offerings from Porsche are worthy a separate discussion on this thread. Although Porsche offered some limited two tone interiors in the past, the ones for the new 991 and 981 are especially significant because they are also combined with very distinctive deviating stitching in 'key' upper panels. These are very similar to the interesting BiColors introduced very late in the 997.2 model range (e.g. MY2012), although one of my favorites - 'Black/Sand Beige' - was seldom ordered by customers or dealers on its debut. That is why I am highlighting these BiColor options for you today. I believe when customers get more familiar with them and what flair they offer your car's interior, they will become very popular with Porsche buyers on the 991!

These new BiColors are all color coordinated to their matching lower panel colors and look positively smashing! For a great number of prospective new owners that have often thought of ordering deviating stitching but gave up because of the complexity and color decision process, this is a ready-made coordinated package from 'factory' that has great appeal and it's easy to order! In addition, it's a bloody bargain! Depending on what seat you order, the BiColor option is $430 or $790 according to the PCNA Configurator*.

The stitching alone, if done 'a la carte', would cost nearly an extra $1200 on the coupe or $800 on a cabriolet. You get an additional rear panel top stitched in the coupe! Here are some current deviating stitching prices from Porsche for the US:
Deviating stitch dashboard 390.00
Deviating Stitching door trim 390.00
Dev. stitch rear side top panel 390.00

On the 991, you get to choose from two BiColor choices: 'Agate Grey/Pebble Grey' and 'Black/Platinum Grey' (see photo #1). The 'green' option is 'Agate Grey/Lime Gold' which is shown on Configurator available only on the 981 but which I hope is also allowed in the 991! I hope to check soon with 'Porsche Exclusive' to see if that BiColor 'Lime Gold' will be extended to the 991.

The advantages of Two Tone or BiColor are many but let me list a few:

a) It visually helps 'enlarge' the 991's cabin space by the lighter color under panels!
b) Reduces glare on front windshield since dash is dark color. A common objection to lighter color interiors!
b) The deviating stitching is just enough to make the whole interior 'pop'!
c) It is an easy, no-fuss way to distinguish your interior from the drab 'black' so often favored by Teutons over at the Fatherland!
d) Leather Steering Wheel is color coordinated to your BiColor interior!
d) It is a bargain as far as normal 'Porsche Exclusive' options go!

Next set of photos are of a 'Racing Yellow' 991 Coupe with the BiColor 'Black/Platinum Grey' option. Note the extra stitching on rear top panel barely visible on one of the coupe's interior shots! Photos taken at Rennsport IV at Laguna Seca.

Final set of photos are of an 'Agate Grey' 991 Cabriolet with the BiColor 'Agate Grey/Pebble Grey' option. Photos taken at 'Porsche of Colorado Springs'.

I hope some of you seriously consider these great new options on your next Porsche!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

*Pricing for Two Tone/BiColor option is set depending on seat selection. If you order the more expensive 'Natural' leather, price for the 'Sport Seat' is more that the 'Sport Seat Plus' because the former has leather on the back and it will cost more to do. Fine. But if you order 'Two Tone/BiColor', it is the opposite. Cost more if you have 'Sport Seat Plus' although less is covered in leather. Doesn't make sense to me but it's a minor point.
Attached Images        
Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 PM
kbalch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to use 'leather to sample' to order a standard color in natural leather? I'd love to get natural leather in Yachting Blue. Or even a slightly darker blue, if possible...

Ken
Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 PM
keithos27
Racer

I hope so... may want to get a black interior in natural leather...
Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kbalch
Is it possible to use 'leather to sample' to order a standard color in natural leather? I'd love to get natural leather in Yachting Blue. Or even a slightly darker blue, if possible...

Ken
Originally Posted by keithos27
I hope so... may want to get a black interior in natural leather...
I hope to confirm if this is possible in two weeks or so! For now, here is what I previously posted on this thread (post #13) re: this subject:

"I believe that 'Custom Colors', which from now on I will simply call 'Leather to Sample', can be had in either 'base' leather (if particularly colorful) or in 'Natural', if that particular leather grade is available in the color you desire. 'Leather to Sample' is a seldom selected option here in the US. It is more common to markets like the Middle East/Gulf States. I will make it my business in the next few months to inquire more on this subject. Personally, I find the standard 'black' in the base leather as offered by Porsche not to be particularly desirable. So I would like to know if they can provide us in 'Leather to Sample' a deeper 'Black' leather in 'Natural' upscale grade that will be darker in color & richer than the standard 'Black' offered. Others have commented that the new standard 'black' seems to be a bit more 'charcoal' this year than they remember in the recent 997.1 and 997.2 models. I am also fascinated by the previous model's offering of 'Natural Brown' leather, which was a beautiful color and of great quality! More about this when I talk about 'Leather to Sample' on a future post on this thread."

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Old 07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default New Options About to be Announced!

I am going to interrupt my sequence of topics for just a bit and talk to you briefly about new options about to be announced! This is always a delicate subject because Porsche AG, PCNA, the local dealers and your salesman in particular do not want anyone to hold up their order or postpone their buying decision based on future options availability. But I don't work for PAG, PCNA or a dealer, so I am more interested in getting you the facts so you can decide what & when to buy..and create the perfect spec on your next Porsche!

1) Adaptive Cruise Control
Porsche AG will finally adopt this incredible technology and incorporated into the 991. I have experienced this technology in two previous BMW's (a '04 745i Sport and a '07 650i Vert) and currently have it on my '07 CL600 (where its called Distronics Plus). Before any of you make a decision that such technology is totally superfluous on a sport car, please do a little research & keep an open mind. Even those of you that mostly use your Porsches at the race track have to travel long distances to get there & back. It also has a safety function called a Precrash system, which warns the driver and/or provides brake support if there is a high risk of a collision. This feature is called 'Porsche Active Safe' (PAS) in Porsche's version of ACC.

The system is probably radar based (Bosch) and will be fitted in the lower center part of your front bumper (see attached representation). When ordered in conjunction with front parking sensors, the latter are relocated to the extreme right & left corner of the grilles, which is something already seen in Spy photos of certain models (e.g. testing mules of upcoming 991 Targa). It will be interesting to see where they put the additional front center radiator that is part of the 'desert' option for extreme heat markets. The ACC is located where that normally goes!

Initially this option is being offered on the 991. I don't know yet when it will be extended to the 981. The anticipated cost here should be around $2000+, but I have not yet seen it publicly announced by PCNA! It is around approx. $1714 in one Gulf State market when converted from the local currency. I have loved every application of Adaptive Cruise Control I have own and strongly recommend it to a prospective Porsche owner on your next order!

2) Illuminated Sill Guards
These have been offered by Porsche before in the 997 and others. The reason it was not offered at the 991 introduction was because of technical issues that required more R & D. As you all know, the 997 had a door alignment feature integrated into the jam area on the chassis. In the 991, this feature is now located in the bottom & center of the actual door and it slides into a cavity that sits just below the entry sill! Apparently, it took some experimentation to make sure that the electrical wiring required for illuminating the sills were properly safeguarded before this option was offered in series production! As expected, the Illuminated Sill Guards will highlight the model you have ordered (Carrera, Carrera S, etc). It is my understanding that when the 'Powerkit' option is available to us, you will be able to order one with 'Power Kit S" or something to that effect! The anticipated cost here should be just under $1000, but I have not yet seen it publicly announced by PCNA.

3) Steering Column in Leather
Available in the recent past. I ordered it on my '12 Spyder.
The anticipated cost here should be around $465 (as it was last year) or below!

4) Rear View Mirror in Leather
Available in the recent past. I ordered it on my '12 Spyder.
The anticipated cost here should be around $675 (as it was last year) or below!

5) Steering Wheel with Deviating Stitching
"Deviating stitching in steering wheel rim. Note: stitching available in Silver, Racing Yellow, Guards Red, Black, White, Platinum Grey, Pebble Grey, Cream, Yachting Blue, Luxor Beige, Espresso., Umber, Aqua Blue, Peridot, Amber Orange, Agate Grey, Limegold, Cognac, Carrera Red. For multifunction steering wheel (order no. 844) only available in conjunction with PDK (order no. 250)" . It is not clear to me if the deviating stitching option will be offered on both the standard steering wheel (batman style) or the optional 'Sport Design' wheel. But I anticipate it will be offered on both! Don't know yet the pricing but it should be reasonable.

6) Sport Bucket Seats
Available in the recent past on the .2 997 gt3, RS, GTS, Spyder & Cayman R. Expected to be offered in the US shortly. Remember that PCNA makes decision as to what factory options to allow in US market based on our individual market, demand and dealer's input. Sport Buckets with the integrated airbag was first offered here on the MY2008 gt2. I was then briefly seen in some MY2009 .2 997 (e.g. Intro Meteor Grey C4S) and then offered as standard on the .2 gt3, gt3 RS, gt2 RS, Spyder, Cayman R, GTS, and 4.0 Limited Edition gt3 RS. On cars ordered by dealers for inventory, you rarely saw them as they were considered too restrictive and unpopular according to them! On custom order cars, they were almost always present.

Suggest if you want to see them again offered here in US in anything other than future 991 gt3 & RS that you contact PCNA and make your case! If enough folks demand it, it will be offered! I have them on my '12 Spyder and they are very comfortable after you get in them and are on the road! However, they don't allow for adjustments, other than front to rear slide. So depending on your body built and height, they are not universally suitable for everyone! Don't know yet about pricing on regular 991's & 981's if offered, but they will be a no charge standard seating on the gt3/gt2 models and future Spyders and Cayman R's.

My understanding is that an improved & fully adjustable 'sport bucket seat' is being developed for the 918 Spyder! I know the in-house Porsche designer that is working on it. Once that seat is fully tested then introduced in the exclusive Spyder model, expect a 'pedestrian' version of that improved & adjustable 'sport bucket seat' to be introduced in series production vehicles!

The options described above are far along in development at Zuffenhausen and already appear in the Configurators in some markets. Some are available already for ordering and are being done at the factory as we speak. Others are being accepted for production orders on cars that will be built this Fall and beyond. The ones that I have included today are seen in the Porsche Dubai configurator. I thank Naser Alharbi for graciously sending me the information on them!

Another leather option expected to be announced in the next few months is leather interior sills! They do not appear yet in any Configurator to my knowledge. But they are coming! I will resume my discussion of Interior Leather Choices on my next post!

Saludos,
Eduardo
My last day in Vail before I return to Carmel!
Attached Images    

Last edited by Z356; 01-30-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: resized attached photos
Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

2) Leather Interior Choices - Part #3

Just to be clear about as to what you get from Porsche when you order a 'full leather' interior, let's first see what you get as standard in leather without spending a penny extra and compared with a 'Full Leather' Interior on the same model!

A) Standard 'Partial Leather Interior' on all US market 991's.

1) front seat centers
2) steering wheel rim
3) airbag module on steering wheel
4) gearshift lever
5) door handles
6) door armrests

I believe this is similar to what the previous 997 sported in leather as 'standard' on every 911 destined for the US, except 997's also had leather handles on e-brake!.

B) Optional 'Full Leather' Interior on a US market 991!

Covered in smooth-finish leather in interior color:
1) front seat centers
2) front seat side bolsters
3) front headrests
4) front seat backrests (unless Sport Plus)
5) steering wheel rim
6) airbag module on steering wheel
7) gearshift lever
8) center console storage compartment lid
9) center console side section
10) dashboard top incl. instrument cluster cover
11) dashboard bottom incl. glove compartment lid
12) door handles
13) door armrests and paneling
14) door paneling top section
15) door panel inserts (metal looking trim piece)
16) rear seat centers
17) rear seat bolsters
18) rear side paneling
19) center tunnel cover in rear

First photo will show a Guards Red 991 Coupe with standard 'Partial Leather' interior with no additional leather options! Photos taken at 'Porsche of Colorado Springs'. Porsche also offers a 'Partial Leather' interior but with a 'Full Leather' seats. I don't currently have photos that will show this type of interior. The contrasting set of photos show mostly an Agate Grey 991 with 'Full Leather' interior. Photos taken on US 1 near Carmel!

Alcantara headliner is standard on all 991. However, you will get A & C pillars covered in 'Alcantara' if you order a 'full leather' interior. Otherwise, A & C pillars are covered in vinyl on a standard 991. Alcantara pillars on 'full leather' interiors is new to the 991 model and has not been done before at the factory on 911's!

There is a dedicated group of buyers that consider a 'full leather' interior on a Porsche sport car as totally superfluous. I am not on that camp. But I respect their choices and understand their point of view. The quality of the textured vinyl used by Porsche is one the highest in the industry. It will outlive most of us on these cars and look 'new' for years to come! However, I believe that the added visual, tactile & olfactory pleasures you get from a 'full leather' interior in your Porsche adds greatly to ownership experience and is highly recommended!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Shell Beach (near Pismo)
Attached Images         
Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic thread. Excellent information. Thank you very, very much!

My last 911 was custom ordered and it was definitely worth the wait.

p.s. - heartbroken here over Atlas Grey Metallic being on the PTS reject list.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:37 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

those last 2 pics really show the "embossed" leather versus smooth... really wish they would eliminate the embossed but they gotta make money somewhere... i had it on my first 958 cayenne and was so upset with myself... smooth leather breathes and just feels exponentially better.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'The Top Cars of Porsche Custom'

This digital article just came out and features at least two cars owned by Rennlist members in this forum. The article is entitled 'The Top Cars of Porsche Custom' and is found on a digital magazine called 'Life and Times'. It highlights the job that Sascha Glaeser (Manager, Customer Consultation) is doing with 'Porsche Exclusive' in the United States. Take a look:

http://lifeandtimes.com/the-top-cars-of-porsche-custom

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel, CA
Old 08-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Latest PTS List from PCNA Dated 8/07/12

This is the latest 'Paint to Sample' List from PCNA issued today. It is an update to the one I last posted here on my thread in late July, dated 6/04/12 (post #1). I will compare it to that one later today to see if there are any changes. But I thought I would posted right away to give everyone a head start!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images
Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Michael Daoud
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
This is the latest 'Paint to Sample' List from PCNA issued today. It is an update to the one I last posted here on my thread in late July, dated 6/04/12 (post #1). I will compare it to that one later today to see if there are any changes. But I thought I would posted right away to give everyone a head start!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
What an awesome job you are doing with all this info. Thank you!

I have a question. Do you know if you can order PTS that is a matte or satin finish?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!