Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy CDR
You have done the Porsche company a true service for their business and I regret that one person, for whatever reason, was short with you. Porsche is a niche car company with a tremendous following of staunch supporters. The company cannot afford poor publicity within that cadre of folks. Thank you again for your thread and how it gave me the confidence to order a car right out of my imagination and not the brochure.
Thanks Navy CDR.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Note that I don't know how many 918 intro sessions are scheduled in the USA but Melissa and or Sacha are part of them which may prevent them being as responsive as one might like.
Just to clarify, I sent my questions to Sascha on August 7th, 2012 well before the recent 'Dog & Pony' shows started for the 918 Spyder! I know those dates because I have two friends with 918 orders! Even sending Sascha my questions on Aug. 7th, I continued to post on this thread for over one month (until September 17th) with information I was able to gather on my own about the program. I received the negative response from Sascha on Sept. 18th and then I stopped posting!

Originally Posted by jmct
That's not what Z356 said, not even close. The staff Z356 spoke to could have offered to follow up when they have more time, referred him to someone else, asked PAG for some resources to help him, etc.
Very boneheaded decision from them to answer such a lifelong enthusiast this way. I'm not giving up the brand for the ignorance of a few staff, but let's call a spade a spade, it was foolish of them.
Thank you for your thoughtful comments, jmct! Those of you that have read closely the posts I created on this thread will understand the planning & time it took to get them done, access the correct photos (many of which I took personally) & links, and make sure that the information was error-free, concise & useful! It was hard work for which I am getting ZIP, NADA, ZERO compensation! The questions I asked Sascha Glaeser are within the scope of his job assignment and he is getting WELL PAID to answer them to customers like me! I am a known Porsche enthusiast; I have demonstrable ability to afford a custom Porsche (having just ordered one a year before with Sascha's help); and I would be helping Sascha & Melissa disseminate the information they would have provided me to over 20,000+ forum eyes! Yes, it would have taken a few hours to put the info together but the payback for them and 'Porsche Exclusive' would have been enormous! Ask Navy CDR and others!

If any of you are interested in reading the questions I posed to Sascha, please email me (via this forum) and I will forward the verbatim email I sent him. If you are thinking of custom ordering a 991, it would make interesting reading since it listed various combinations of 'Porsche Exclusive' options for the new 911 model which I thought might be of interest to ME and other potential customers! It will also let you judge for yourself if the questions I posed created an unreasonable burden on 'Porsche Exclusive' to answer them to my satisfaction!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

Eduardo,

Have you received any updates on the Paint to Sample list?

Would be nice to know if any of the feasibility studies have been successful?

As you know, my wife has told me I can only order Speed Yellow cars.

Seems odd that they would need a feasibility check on it but I hope by now they have been successful.

cheers,
Steve

Originally Posted by Z356

1) Paint to Sample

Timing: Available for a limited time window during the model year. Opens and closes depending on series production scheduling. In the initial limited period of MY2012 991, it was open briefly then closed as MY2013 production was about to start. Now it appears to be open again for MY2013 991. Could close on the MY2013 991 sometime in the late Fall or early Winter of 2012, but apparently nothing yet has been communicated to dealers. Seems like the factory likes to bunch up PTS requests in batches and tries to do them all in a row. If you know something about the complicated process of auto painting technology, you probably will understand why! So always check that the window for PTS is open so that you are not disappointed by being shut out due to the factory 'fickle' PTS scheduling!

Cost: Currently $5,500.

Colors Available: Any...as long as it passes a very strict and severe test conducted by PAG in Zuffenhausen with the assistance of their current paint supplier - Dupont. Some colors that are deemed proprietary to a model (e.g. Speedster Blue or Sport Classic Grey) are often 'off-limits'. Some that are registered trade-marks of corporations (e.g. Gulf colors) might also be currently prohibited. Overall, what Porsche is looking to do is limit customer complaints that might trigger costly warranty claims and consumer dissatisfaction of mis-matched colors on any part of the vehicle. Since the materials now used in cars involve steel, plastic, carbon fiber, etc, it is important that colors don't fade at a different rate on the varied surfaces of a modern Porsche!

The process of determining suitability could take weeks or months. It only starts after you place the order with your dealer and it sends an actual 'sample' metal piece painted (minimum size of a business letter) with your desired PTS color to the factory in Germany. So this 'Paint to Sample' process is not for those that are in a hurry in getting their 991's or are easily upset by a possible rejection of your color selection! But perseverance will reward your efforts with a fairly rare, or even unique, color on your special vehicle!

To their credit, PCNA has actually issued a document on 6/4/2012 which told dealers of PTS colors that they have already tested and pre-approved. This is a tremendous advantage for those of you willing to select one of those pre-approved colors because you don't have to submit color 'samples' and wait in limbo! It means you quickly pass 'Go' and your car can be quickly scheduled for production!

Among the PTS colors pre-approved as of 6/4/2012 are:

Mexico Blue
Riviera Blue
RS Green
Pastell Orange (German Spelling)
Aetna Blue (misspelled in List as Etna)
Stone Grey
Fashion Grey
Grey Black
Arena Red
Brewster Green
Arctic Silver

Among the PTS colors officially rejected and 'Not Available' are:
Aquamarine Blue Metallic
Atlas Grey Metallic
Slate Metallic
RS Orange (from personal experience)

Among the PTS under 'Feasibility Check Started' are:
Gulf Blue (don't bet on being approved!)
Gulf Orange (don't bet on being approved!)
Carrara White
Horizon Blue Metallic
Ipanema Blue Metallic
Peru Red
Sepia Brown
Maritime Blue
Meteor Grey Metallic
Voodoo Blue
Polar Silver Metallic

Among the colors under 'Feasibility Check Necessary' are:
Guards Red
Speed Yellow
GTS Red
Azzurro California Metallic
and countless others!

That is enough to digest on the first day!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Old 12-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redantporsche
Eduardo, that is really sad to hear. It was because of this thread I went ahead with my Panamera GTS PTS in Mexico Blue. The car turned out great and surely it is good advertising for Porsche.
Redant - that is stunning! I saw a Riviera Blue Panamera S in Texas a while back that Mile2424 brought to my attention, but your GTS is the ultimate! Congratulations!

Originally Posted by JSF101
Eduardo, Have you received any updates on the Paint to Sample list? cheers, Steve
Steve, my brother, you are the 'Forever SpeedYellow' man! That PTS Spyder of yours is probably the most desirable Boxster on the planet today! Regarding updates. Hold it. Let me check in my files. No, I don't think I have anything on that just yet!

Right now, Steve, I think I have been relegated so much outside the loop in PCNA circles that even a VW owner and a certified i. savant like ADias is taking pot shots at me openly on this forum! And he is almost getting away with it if it wasn't for jmct! Once you been targeted by this genius, you know that you have hit bottom and have been relegated to the cheap seats in the back of the Porsche stadium! The Fiat forum (the 500 & Topolino one, not the 'F' made in Maranello) is now probably all I can aspire to!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
... I have been relegated so much outside the loop in PCNA circles that even a VW owner and a certified i. savant like ADias is taking pot shots at me openly on this forum! And he is almost getting away with it if it wasn't for jmct! Once you been targeted by this genius, you know that you have hit bottom and have been relegated to the cheap seats in the back of the Porsche stadium! The Fiat forum (the 500 & Topolino one, not the 'F' made in Maranello) is now probably all I can aspire to!

Saludos,
Eduardo

A difference of opinion begets pathetic name calling and personal insults! It speaks volumes.

And apparently it is now beneath a Porsche owner to also own a VW !!

I refuse to participate in a discussion where personal insults replace exchange of views. Good luck with your next promotion.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ADias
A difference of opinion begets pathetic name calling and personal insults! It speaks volumes.

And apparently it is now beneath a Porsche owner to also own a VW !!

I am kidding, Al! You know I admire you enormously and have read each & everyone of your 5,065 posts. And I look forward to the 5,066 which will come up shortly! Besides, VW owns Porsche now, so you are seating in the 'driver's seat'...like Ferdinand Piech. Lighten up!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Eduardo, my thanks for the PTS discussion and list. Here is my new 991S in Etna Blue.

BASE 911 Carrera S
NE Espresso natural lthr interior
ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest
651 Sunroof
ZAA Auto AC
666 Telephone module
XWK Sport Seats Plus backrests she
XSC Porsche Crest on headrests
XPT Storage bin lid with Crest
640 Sport Chrono Package
031 Porsche Dynamic Chassis Contro
911 Model Designation "911"
XRP Wheel spacers, 5 mm
840 SportDesign steering wheel
998 Natural leather interior
446 Wheel caps color Porsche crest
XHG Centre console trim Mahagony
EEB Mahogany interior package (wit
XHC Mahogany Gear Lever
XHE Mahogany Gearbox Trim
XWB Mahogany Door Panel
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-
276 Automatically dimming mirrors
342 Seat heating (front)
541 Seat ventilation (front)
603 Bi-Xenon(TM)hdlghts incl.PDLS
625 Porsche Entry & Drive
630 Int Light Pkg for Rear Compart
680 BOSE Surround Sound-System
690 SiriusXM(TM) & HD Radio tuners
693 6 disc CD/DVD changer
24931 Color to sample

Last edited by red route 1; 12-16-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by red route 1
Eduardo, my thanks for the PTS discussion and list.
Red Route 1, you got a winner there! Glad this thread was of some use. Please tell us about your custom ordering experience and how it all went (approval time, delays (if any), etc). It's one thing to discuss the theory of PTS, another is to know what happens in reality and the 'red tape' involved!

Enjoy it in great health!
Eduardo
Old 01-07-2013, 04:49 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Thanks Eduardo. I didn't experience any weirdness in the process, just the expected long lead time.

By the way, I had a carrera red interior in a 997, and was tempted to do Etna over Red as that seems to have been a common configuration back in the day. I ended up with Espresso which looks great -- just didn't have the courage to do the red!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:37 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by red route 1
Eduardo, my thanks for the PTS discussion and list. Here is my new 991S in Etna Blue.

BASE 911 Carrera S
NE Espresso natural lthr interior
ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest
651 Sunroof
ZAA Auto AC
666 Telephone module
XWK Sport Seats Plus backrests she
XSC Porsche Crest on headrests
XPT Storage bin lid with Crest
640 Sport Chrono Package
031 Porsche Dynamic Chassis Contro
911 Model Designation "911"
XRP Wheel spacers, 5 mm
840 SportDesign steering wheel
998 Natural leather interior
446 Wheel caps color Porsche crest
XHG Centre console trim Mahagony
EEB Mahogany interior package (wit
XHC Mahogany Gear Lever
XHE Mahogany Gearbox Trim
XWB Mahogany Door Panel
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-
276 Automatically dimming mirrors
342 Seat heating (front)
541 Seat ventilation (front)
603 Bi-Xenon(TM)hdlghts incl.PDLS
625 Porsche Entry & Drive
630 Int Light Pkg for Rear Compart
680 BOSE Surround Sound-System
690 SiriusXM(TM) & HD Radio tuners
693 6 disc CD/DVD changer
24931 Color to sample
wow, that is a really great PTS choice! thanks for sharing....i think you showed some courage with the mahogany interior! would like to see pics of that when you have a chance. congratulations on a stellar 911!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Thanks oldman40 for the feedback. I didn't like all of the "chrome" especially the gearbox trim, so I took a chance. I've done carbon trim before and it was great, but I thought I'd the wood with the Enta blue exterior. In retrospect I think the chrome would have been fine but not disappoined with the choice.

Even my sales guy hates wood in a 911 but when he saw it he changed his mind. The Mahogany looks good.

Here's the interior shot.

Last edited by red route 1; 12-16-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Step1han3ie
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So always check that the window for PTS is open so that you are not disappointed by being shut out due to the factory 'fickle' PTS scheduling!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Navy CDR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On Dec 8th I ordered a 991S with a PTS exterior color of Porsche Racing Green with an Espresso interior BUT with a deviated interior using Cognac natural leather for the seats and selected door panels with Espresso stitching. This car has been accepted by Porsche. The dealership states a manufacturing date of April but I am waiting for a build date from Porsche. The manufacturing date just reflects the dealership's allocation from the production line. My best guess is sometime from the end of May to the first part of June just before factory closedown (change over for 2014 models). There is a chance that I may have to wait until Sept because of the deviated interior (with a production delay of up to 16 weeks).
Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 AM
cy456
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,

First time poster, long time lurker. I have been following this thread since its creation, and credit it for my interest in acquiring a PTS 991. Was really sad when Z356 stopped updating it, but am glad that it has since been resurrected.

Have been trying to follow up with my local dealer for the PTS list, was waiting for Viola Pearl to appear. I know its not for everyone, but I think it would look great with a grey or espresso interior. Here is the information I was able to gather:

PTS for 2013 will end 1/13/13. It will resume in august for 2014 models.
Included is the latest list I was able to acquire. You will notice there are some colors that were added (laser green??).
Hopefully they will continue feasability tests during the jan-aug break, hoping for Viola to be approved for 2014.

Again, thanks to Z356 for inspiring this thread, and red route 1 for bringing it back to life.

Last edited by cy456; 06-01-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:56 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice. Thanks for posting the latest feasibility list.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

This thread should definitely be a sticky!

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!