Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Old 03-19-2015, 12:25 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteyDaddy
Always interesting to speculate about PTS and the process. This maritime 991 has been around for some time and I believe appeared for sale around the same time as my PTS Maritime GT3. Coincidence?

https://euroclassics.porschedealer.c...30180/info.php
Yes, it's just coincidence. Euroclassics in Virginia is one of the few US Porsche dealers that often custom orders PTS cars for stock inventory. Of the two dealer-specced MY2012 'Boxster Spyders' in 2011, Euroclassics ordered one...in PTS 'Azure Blue'. They are pretty savvy at this game and have been doing PTS orders for a very long time! Think of it this way, it's nice you have a cousin 991S in the same color as your beautiful 'Maritime' gt3!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 03-19-2015, 07:27 AM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, it's just coincidence. Euroclassics in Virginia is one of the few US Porsche dealers that often custom orders PTS cars for stock inventory. Of the two dealer-specced MY2012 'Boxster Spyders' in 2011, Euroclassics ordered one...in PTS 'Azure Blue'. They are pretty savvy at this game and have been doing PTS orders for a very long time! Think of it this way, it's nice you have a cousin 991S in the same color as your beautiful 'Maritime' gt3!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
It's scary how good you are Eduardo- we're all lucky to have you here!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:01 AM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteyDaddy
It's scary how good you are Eduardo- we're all lucky to have you here!
Amen
Old 03-21-2015, 07:41 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Eduardo, Sorry if I've missed it. Is there a page that shows both the PTS color and a sample for all 911 options? It would be great to visually compare in one place. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:34 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SDaddy
Eduardo, Sorry if I've missed it. Is there a page that shows both the PTS color and a sample for all 911 options? It would be great to visually compare in one place. Thanks!
Not from Porsche. There are other sites that have attempted to catalogue exterior colors that Porsche has produced in the past and matched them to a car THEY believe is that color! First, it's difficult to capture true color in photos. Lenses, filters and light condition make all the difference in the world. Second, they are not always correct in assigning the right color to the car photo shown. So caveat lector!

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/Porsche/All/

The PTS list from PCNA that we have become now some familiar is a recent development. I posted the first one to appear in Rennlist and that was in July of 2012. It's on Page 1 of this thread and dated June 4th 2012. It consisted of only two pages. The latest one we have is dated Jan 21st, 2015 and it runs four pages. The list was meant inform dealers and was not originally envisioned to be allowed into the hands of mere customers like us! At PAG, PTS was conceived as a bespoke option for specially demanding clients that were not content with accepting the standard color palette Porsche offers for their cars each particular model year. Porsche has been doing PTS since the 356 era in the 1950's, but it has taken a life of its own in recent years.

The problem for Porsche in representing to a customer what a particular PTS color looks like is...the liability. If they show you a sample on a website or a pamphlet, you can then hold them liable to look exactly like that representation when the car arrives! So Porsche doesn't play that game, with reason. The PTS list (see the early 2012 and compare it to the latest 2015, both of which are attached) will inform you ONLY that a PTS color that has been requested by a client & was either approved, not approved or under feasibility study. The first guy ordering 'Riviera Blue' for a 991/981 had submit to full feasibility for that color. Once it was approved, others could order that color if they wanted. It simplified the process & sped up the order. So Porsche will let you order via your dealer a PTS 'Riviera Blue' 2016 .2 991...but they will force you to assume responsibility for knowing what that color looks like! They are not showing you or giving you any samples of that paint. You are requesting that color from them...and legally it's assumed that you MUST know the color since you went out of your way to custom order it! But they are not representing to you what that color is...or is not.

Since it's the dealer that will get stuck with the PTS car if you don't take delivery ('Oh, that's 'Riviera Blue', I don't think I like it. Sorry I'll pass!), it's up to them to vet your understanding of the color you are requesting and to make sure you are a serious/trustworthy buyer before they place the PTS on your behalf. Once the car is built, the dealer will be invoiced and it's no longer PAG's problem.

Hope you understand what I am trying to explain!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Porsche PTS - 20150121.pdf (121.2 KB, 444 views)

Last edited by Z356; 03-21-2015 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Add link to GT Car Lot...
Old 03-22-2015, 12:18 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Yes. Thanks!!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:45 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Not from Porsche. There are other sites that have attempted to catalogue exterior colors that Porsche has produced in the past and matched them to a car THEY believe is that color! First, it's difficult to capture true color in photos. Lenses, filters and light condition make all the difference in the world. Second, they are not always correct in assigning the right color to the car photo shown. So caveat lector!

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/Porsche/All/

The PTS list from PCNA that we have become now some familiar is a recent development. I posted the first one to appear in Rennlist and that was in July of 2012. It's on Page 1 of this thread and dated June 4th 2012. It consisted of only two pages. The latest one we have is dated Jan 21st, 2015 and it runs four pages. The list was meant inform dealers and was not originally envisioned to be allowed into the hands of mere customers like us! At PAG, PTS was conceived as a bespoke option for specially demanding clients that were not content with accepting the standard color palette Porsche offers for their cars each particular model year. Porsche has been doing PTS since the 356 era in the 1950's, but it has taken a life of its own in recent years.

The problem for Porsche in representing to a customer what a particular PTS color looks like is...the liability. If they show you a sample on a website or a pamphlet, you can then hold them liable to look exactly like that representation when the car arrives! So Porsche doesn't play that game, with reason. The PTS list (see the early 2012 and compare it to the latest 2015, both of which are attached) will inform you ONLY that a PTS color that has been requested by a client & was either approved, not approved or under feasibility study. The first guy ordering 'Riviera Blue' for a 991/981 had submit to full feasibility for that color. Once it was approved, others could order that color if they wanted. It simplified the process & sped up the order. So Porsche will let you order via your dealer a PTS 'Riviera Blue' 2016 .2 991...but they will force you to assume responsibility for knowing what that color looks like! They are not showing you or giving you any samples of that paint. You are requesting that color from them...and legally it's assumed that you MUST know the color since you went out of your way to custom order it! But they are not representing to you what that color is...or is not.

Since it's the dealer that will get stuck with the PTS car if you don't take delivery ('Oh, that's 'Riviera Blue', I don't think I like it. Sorry I'll pass!), it's up to them to vet your understanding of the color you are requesting and to make sure you are a serious/trustworthy buyer before they place the PTS on your behalf. Once the car is built, the dealer will be invoiced and it's no longer PAG's problem.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Which segues beautifully to my idea/previous communication to you about a coffee table book that documents every color Porsche has produced (with photos).
A gargantuan, possibly impossible task, but if anyone could pull it off, I'll bet you are the man!
I told you I'll buy one, so the first sale is in the bag.
I also noticed Anthracite has dissappeared from the Configurator, so I "almost" got a PTS car after all
Hard to imagine it was less popular than Lime Green, though! Right?
Old 03-23-2015, 01:27 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Keadog
Which segues beautifully to my idea/previous communication to you about a coffee table book that documents every color Porsche has produced (with photos).
A gargantuan, possibly impossible task, but if anyone could pull it off, I'll bet you are the man!
I told you I'll buy one, so the first sale is in the bag.
I also noticed Anthracite has dissappeared from the Configurator, so I "almost" got a PTS car after all
Hard to imagine it was less popular than Lime Green, though! Right?
Thanks Keith. I'll give it a consideration...Ok, I did & no thanks! I am getting like a little curmudgeon in my old age. My tolerance for incompetence with anything having to do with PTS, Porsche Exclusive, PAG or PCNA is reaching its limits. I am going to kick back and start playing dominoes more often!

Yes, that was expected. One of those dark brown metallics had to go. You love Anthracite. And now it's going to be available only as PTS. So you should be happy! 'Lime Gold Metallic' is being put to 'sleep' pretty soon. We are hoping that they pull the plug in the next few weeks and it goes into cardiac arrest & dies. If I attend it's funeral, it's only to pinch the cadaver to make sure it's stone cold dead and not coming back!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Thanks Keith. I'll give it a consideration...Ok, I did & no thanks! I am getting like a little curmudgeon in my old age. My tolerance for incompetence with anything having to do with PTS, Porsche Exclusive, PAG or PCNA is reaching its limits. I am going to kick back and start playing dominoes more often!

Yes, that was expected. One of those dark brown metallics had to go. You love Anthracite. And now it's going to be available only as PTS. So you should be happy! 'Lime Gold Metallic' is being put to 'sleep' pretty soon. We are hoping that they pull the plug in the next few weeks and it goes into cardiac arrest & dies. If I attend it's funeral, it's only to pinch the cadaver to make sure it's stone cold dead and not coming back!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Well, I tried. I want that book!
The Anthracite is nice and conservative and goes very well with the E/C interior. I still don't get the moratorium on green, but I'm out of the buying market now anyhow. Going to keep this one a while after the upfront costs/depreciation...
Old 03-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

The most recent Porsche PTS list has been posted elsewhere on Rennlist this morning. It is dated 2/25/2015 and it supersedes the older one dated 1/21/2015. So here it is below:

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images
Old 03-28-2015, 10:38 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The most recent Porsche PTS list has been posted elsewhere on Rennlist this morning. It is dated 2/25/2015 and it supersedes the older one dated 1/21/2015. So here it is below: Saludos, Eduardo Carmel
I guess I can't pick it up with an iPad. Don't see the attachment. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
I guess I can't pick it up with an iPad. Don't see the attachment. Thanks.
Yeah, sadly, you need to check it out on desktop, or load the webapp in non-Mobile format.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:28 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Yeah, sadly, you need to check it out on desktop, or load the webapp in non-Mobile format.
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Face lift .2 991 will come in as a MY2017...

I want to report to Rennlist on this topic which I know is of interest to many of you. I had face-to-face conversations with knowledgeable sources last week which point out to the following scenario with regards the introduction of the .2 991 facelift models:

There will be a MY2016 991 that will continue to be built as a .1 pre face lift model. The MY2016 will start to be assembled in Zuffenhausen in June of 2015 (similar to the month in which MY2015 commenced to be built in June of 2014). These models will include MY2016 base Carrera, Carrera S, 991 GTS, 991 Targa, 911 Turbo, 911 Turbo S and the new 991 gt3 RS. The only current 991 model not expected to be produced in MY2016 is the 991 gt3. The changes/updates to the MY2016 991s will be minimal. They will all apparently get the new 918/Macan style steering wheel option with the center ring framed by a chrome circle!

The .2 991 face lift models will be introduced at the Biennial (every two years) Frankfurt Auto Show (IAA) in September of 2015. Although the public showing starts on Sept 19th, press days will start on Sept. 15th! Put that date on your calendars and watch the special webcast by PAG of the .2 991 world debut which will be expected on that day!

In addition, the .2 991 face lift models will debut in the US most likely at the Rennsport V scheduled for Laguna Seca in Monterey September 25-27, 2015!

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=885

Subsequently, the .2 face lifted 991 will start production at Zuffenhausen sometime later. Some expect it as early as November of 2015 for the European market (just as the first MY2012 .1 991s were introduced in Europe in the Fall of 2011). Others are saying late winter/early Spring of calendar year 2016, which is the most likely scenario of first arrivals in US market. What we know is that all these .2 991s facelift models will be arriving in the US as early MY2017 models!

I have not yet confirmed if the 911 Turbo, Turbo S will be face lifted in this same scheduled...or will be allowed to remain in .1 chassis configuration for a little while longer. These 911 Turbo models were introduced late in the .1 model cycle and technically are not yet due for a face lift re-do. But we don't yet know what PAG is planning to do. Same applies to for the 981 models - Boxsters and Caymans. The Boxster 981 was introduced later than the 991 and the Cayman 981 came almost two years later! We don't yet know if these 981 models will get an early or late facelift.

That's all I know at the moment....

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 03-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I want to report to Rennlist on this topic which I know is of interest to many of you. I had face-to-face conversations with knowledgeable sources last week which point out to the following scenario with regards the introduction of the .2 991 facelift models:

There will be a MY2016 991 that will continue to be built as a .1 pre face lift model. The MY2016 will start to be assembled in Zuffenhausen in June of 2015 (similar to the month in which MY2015 commenced to be built in June of 2014). These models will include MY2016 base Carrera, Carrera S, 991 GTS, 991 Targa, 911 Turbo, 911 Turbo S and the new 991 gt3 RS. The only current 991 model not expected to be produced in MY2016 is the 991 gt3. The changes/updates to the MY2016 991s will be minimal. They will all apparently get the new 918/Macan style steering wheel option with the center ring framed by a chrome circle!

The .2 991 face lift models will be introduced at the Biennial (every two years) Frankfurt Auto Show (IAA) in September of 2015. Although the public showing starts on Sept 19th, press days will start on Sept. 15th! Put that date on your calendars and watch the special webcast by PAG of the .2 991 world debut which will be expected on that day!

In addition, the .2 991 face lift models will debut in the US most likely at the Rennsport V scheduled for Laguna Seca in Monterey September 25-27, 2015!

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=885

Subsequently, the .2 face lifted 991 will start production at Zuffenhausen sometime later. Some expect it as early as November of 2015 for the European market (just as the first MY2012 .1 991s were introduced in Europe in the Fall of 2011). Others are saying late winter/early Spring of calendar year 2016, which is the most likely scenario of first arrivals in US market. What we know is that all these .2 991s facelift models will be arriving in the US as early MY2017 models!

I have not yet confirmed if the 911 Turbo, Turbo S will be face lifted in this same scheduled...or will be allowed to remain in .1 chassis configuration for a little while longer. These 911 Turbo models were introduced late in the .1 model cycle and technically are not yet due for a face lift re-do. But we don't yet know what PAG is planning to do. Same applies to for the 981 models - Boxsters and Caymans. The Boxster 981 was introduced later than the 991 and the Cayman 981 came almost two years later! We don't yet know if these 981 models will get an early or late facelift.

That's all I know at the moment....

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Superb as usual! Thanks again.
Seeing Summer Yellow on the new PTS list is... A little painful.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!