Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 04:52 PM
zathras
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm wonder why the Cognac Metallic shows as "?" ("feasibility check necessary") for the Panamera, when it is one of the currently offered colors in the configurator.. in fact I went and looked at one on the dealer's lot yesterday, just to check out the color in person.

So, to confirm what I think I've picked up on in this thread- if I were to choose that color M8Z Cognac Metallic, since it is already on the approved list for the 911, I would not actually have to submit a sample and they don't need to go through their approval process...
Old 08-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by zathras
hmmm wonder why the Cognac Metallic shows as "?" ("feasibility check necessary") for the Panamera, when it is one of the currently offered colors in the configurator.. in fact I went and looked at one on the dealer's lot yesterday, just to check out the color in person.
I have explained this before. 'Cognac Metallic' shows up as a PTS because someone ordered a 991 or 981 in PTS in the recent pass, right after 'Cognac Metallic' was dropped as a metallic color offering on the 991 starting with MY2014. That is how any color you see there gets on that list - a client requests it on a Porsche model. Since it's an offering in the Panamera, it should just say 'Not Applicable' under the Panamera column since it's available on that model BUT NOT AS A PTS. This list is only about colors that are PTS, in the strictest of terms. PAG & PCNA should be more clear on their list. But the fact is that this list was never intended for public distribution. We started this 'revolutionary' concept of making it public...and PCNA has gone along with it. But it's primarily an internal document for 'Porsche Exclusive' staff & dealers - if any of the latter are even remotely interested in PTS, which is not the case with the majority!

So, to confirm what I think I've picked up on in this thread- if I were to choose that color M8Z Cognac Metallic, since it is already on the approved list for the 911, I would not actually have to submit a sample and they don't need to go through their approval process...
Yes, in this case, I would think they (PAG, PCNA & your dealer) will assume you have seen the actual color in the Panamera and they expect you should know what you are going to get if you order PTS 'M8Z'. In general, dealers will put up with the risks of letting a customer order PTS if they perceive that you are a 'serious' & 'trustworthy' client. They need to be pretty sure you will take delivery of final product...which has been customized by you and might have little appeal to someone else. So caveat lector.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-18-2014, 06:49 PM
zathras
Instructor

So when you custom order a vehicle, you're not committing to buying it? I guess I just assumed (never having ordered a car) that you'd sign a contract and be locked in... I suppose situations can change in 6 months time. I guess I'm starting to understand why some dealers might be less than enthusiastic on handling custom orders...
Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

So when you custom order a vehicle, you're not committing to buying it? I guess I just assumed (never having ordered a car) that you'd sign a contract and be locked in... I suppose situations can change in 6 months time. I guess I'm starting to understand why some dealers might be less than enthusiastic on handling custom orders...
I think some dealers depending on how custom the order is will require a non-refundable deposit.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:04 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JPMD
I think some dealers depending on how custom the order is will require a non-refundable deposit.
It depends on what State you enter into the contract with your dealer and the 'Consumer protection' laws in effect for that State! I have been told that California, for example, is a State where you can reject a vehicle after custom ordering from a car dealer it for any reason...and get your full deposit back! But I will let others with experience on this subject inform us of the particulars.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-29-2014, 04:25 PM
RJMcInnis
4th Gear

Does anyone know an actual PHONE number to reach this department? I have sent 4 e-mails over the last 2 weeks with no response. I have called PCNA 3 times. Twice they took my contact info and said they would pass it on. Today, the lady, who claimed to work for Porsche for 2 years, says she has never heard of "Exclusive"...
Old 08-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RJMcInnis
Does anyone know an actual PHONE number to reach this department? I have sent 4 e-mails over the last 2 weeks with no response. I have called PCNA 3 times. Twice they took my contact info and said they would pass it on. Today, the lady, who claimed to work for Porsche for 2 years, says she has never heard of "Exclusive"...
There have been days when I too wish I also had never heard of 'Porsche Exclusive'! And I have posted about those days earlier in this thread. It's often very frustrating dealing with them. I wish I could help you, but they have specifically asked me NOT to give out their direct emails or phone numbers...because they are overwhelmed with work!

Clearly 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US needs to re-organize their operation, be more efficient in their program and communicate better with their client base re: their products and actual capabilities. Hopefully, the replacement for Sascha Glaeser (current manager of 'Porsche Exclusive' US formerly based in LA) will arrive shortly in Atlanta from Germany to take over this department here in North America. In the meantime, only Melissa Witek in Atlanta and Matthew Henry in LA are handling the heavy work load. There is talk of adding more staff to handle the increased interest...which ironically in part has been generated by this thread! All of this according to Sascha at a meeting I had with him at the Porsche Zentrum at Quail Lodge-Carmel! But I'll believe it when I see it. So far, it's not a very impressive operation...although the results of a PTS exterior or special leather/stitching interior is still very much worthwhile!

Good luck RJ!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 PM
zathras
Instructor

I sent an email a week ago and monday morning got a reply from Matthew Henry, which answered some of my questions about pts and lts. I replied to that reply and got an 'out of office til 9/1' autoresponse. I'm wondering if he could be in the process of moving to LA from ATL, because the sig on his email gave an ATL address. just a guess. or, vacation.
Anyway, I will report further if/when I hear back next week.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:26 PM
LLB
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Headlight washers

I took delivery of my custom ordered 2014 991S 7 speed manual in PTS Mexico Blue in late March. A weird little thing was pointed out to me when I was at VIR in the Porsche Corral last weekend for the race...someone asked me how I had managed to "delete" the headlight washers. I was taken aback. I had in fact deleted the sunroof and a few other things...but I never even thought about the headlight washers and yet, I must admit it looks TERRIFIC without them. I had them on my 996 and found them useless. But I checked my Monroney sticker when I got home and, sure enough, the headlight washers are listed as part of the standard equipment. But I climbed and closely examined the windshield wiper stem....and there is no little button on the underside where you would normally find the button to operate the headlight washers. She has the SportDesign dropped front bumper/cowl and back ducktail...could that be it? Just curious about how that "standard" equipment was deleted....Thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2014, 04:13 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default PDLS...

Originally Posted by LLB
I took delivery of my custom ordered 2014 991S 7 speed manual in PTS Mexico Blue in late March. A weird little thing was pointed out to me when I was at VIR in the Porsche Corral last weekend for the race...someone asked me how I had managed to "delete" the headlight washers. I was taken aback... She has the SportDesign dropped front bumper/cowl and back ducktail...could that be it? Just curious about how that "standard" equipment was deleted....Thanks in advance
The last time I remember discussing the subject matter here on Rennlist was over one year ago. Back then on the 991, you needed to order one of the three optional Porsche Dynamic Light Systems (PDLS - Dynamic cornering lights, speed-dependent headlight range control, adverse weather function and headlight washer system) to get the headlight washer spray nozzles! Those three options are PDLS, LED with PDLS and BiXenons in Black with PDLS. I take it you did not order one of these options, correct?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS Do you have photos of your 'Mexico Blue' to share with us?

Attached Images   
Old 08-31-2014, 09:00 AM
LLB
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmm (I have noticed many people start their responses with this). Thank you Eduardo. However, a close read of the monroney Lists "Standard equipment unless replaced by options: Bi-Xenon headlights, dynamic headlight leveling, headlight cleaning system".... None of my options would appear to have deleted the washers. But, again, I like the nose without. Was mostly just curious and a tad embarrassed that I hadn't noticed it myself (EEK).

Attaching a rear view (taken back in June) and then a front view while sitting next to my old 996 in the Corral last weekend. A lovely reunion!

Lauren

As an aside, I had a thread running for a bit in another area due to problems with the clutch peddle on this same new 991. That ugly problem is behind me but was pretty disconcerting.
Attached Images   
Old 08-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LLB
hmmmm (I have noticed many people start their responses with this). Thank you Eduardo. However, a close read of the monroney Lists "Standard equipment unless replaced by options: Bi-Xenon headlights, dynamic headlight leveling, headlight cleaning system".... None of my options would appear to have deleted the washers. But, again, I like the nose without. Was mostly just curious and a tad embarrassed that I hadn't noticed it myself (EEK).

Attaching a rear view (taken back in June) and then a front view while sitting next to my old 996 in the Corral last weekend. A lovely reunion!

Lauren

As an aside, I had a thread running for a bit in another area due to problems with the clutch peddle on this same new 991. That ugly problem is behind me but was pretty disconcerting.
I want to thank you for showing us the lovely photos of your 'Mexico Blue' car. It looks terrific. And we all would want to see more!

Frankly, 'hmmmm' is apparently a more honest response to many of my posts than 'thank you'! 'Hmmmm', for example, is the way my wife normally starts a conversation with me after I say something...anything!

But that aside, I am intrigued by what PCNA printed on your particular Monroney sticker re: headlight washers. Do you mind giving us the entire list of options on your car to see how the car was configured by the factory? On its current 991 website, PCNA does directly say: 'The 911 Carrera models are equipped as standard with Bi-Xenon headlights including a headlight cleaning system and dynamic range control'. At least as of MY2015 and perhaps also true for MY2014. And the Monroney sticker you quoted just mimics that wording. And I was also my impression that headlight cleaning was required on Bi-Xenons by the gov't highway regulations in Germany. So regardless the load, headlights are in right position (up or down) facing on-coming traffic and can be also cleaned by the high-pressured washers to prevent light rays distortion from mud/ice (etc) on the surface of the headlight enclosures. Bi-Xenons was the option that triggered a headlight washers in my recent 'Boxster Spyder'...but I could have been its additional cornering function, not the actual xenon lamps used! So...could it be that PCNA's marketing department got it wrong and indeed you get a headlight cleaning system on a US 991 vehicle ONLY if you order the optional Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)? And perhaps both the cleaning system and dynamic range control of the Bi-Xenons headlights are not STANDARD for the US and only come if you also order PDLS? Could it be that nobody has noticed that their 'wording' is not accurate about washers until now? The configurator only mentions 'headlight cleaning system' or 'washers' in the context of the optional PDLS (see below).

Let's get the technical headlight experts here at Rennlist to chime in. So also put me down for 'hmmmm'! Thank you for bringing it up!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2014, 03:44 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Headlight washers
I took delivery of my custom ordered 2014 991S 7 speed manual in PTS Mexico Blue in late March. A weird little thing was pointed out to me when I was at VIR in the Porsche Corral last weekend for the race...someone asked me how I had managed to "delete" the headlight washers. I was taken aback. I had in fact deleted the sunroof and a few other things...but I never even thought about the headlight washers and yet, I must admit it looks TERRIFIC without them. I had them on my 996 and found them useless. But I checked my Monroney sticker when I got home and, sure enough, the headlight washers are listed as part of the standard equipment. But I climbed and closely examined the windshield wiper stem....and there is no little button on the underside where you would normally find the button to operate the headlight washers. She has the SportDesign dropped front bumper/cowl and back ducktail...could that be it? Just curious about how that "standard" equipment was deleted....Thanks in advance

G'Day Lauren,

I can half answer the question; the headlight washers do come standard on the Carrera with the base light system (non PDLS).
My 2014 C2 has them and it does not have PDLS. My understanding is that the washers need to be deleted, in order for them to not be there.

You've got a fantastic looking car. Hope you solve the mystery of the deleted washers.

Cheers
Old 09-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default From a PTS 'Lichtgrün' discussion at another forum...

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
Eduardo agrees with me and that puts me on the correct side of this debate! Cheers Eduardo!

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I like the color, not sure about the whole car w/o some contrasting black as others have said.
Check out the first Targa I have seen in PTS 'Lichtgrün'. The black roof and stainless roll bar create the perfect contrast to a strong hue such as 'Birch Green'! I absolutely love it!

Originally Posted by Aussie
During our factory tour I saw what I am fairly certain was a Turquoise Blue GT3. .
To my knowledge, 'Turquoise Blue' (3AS) not yet been approved on the 991/981. We saw 997's & other models of that era done in this beautiful color however...and it wouldn't surprise me if we see it custom ordered for the 991/981!

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
I'd observe that the Germanics rather like the greens on their gt3's...
Not just gt3's. Historically, Germans have strongly liked 'green' in all kinds of things...including uniforms & Wehrmacht vehicles! Young Ferry got into trouble in the war when he asked that the first 'Ferdinand' (Panzerjäger Tiger Sd. Kfz. 184) be done in PTS 'Oak Green Metallic', color code 22L. As the story goes, the Waffen-SS objected and the color went back to it's designated 'Graugrün', code 7008 (see below). Personally, I would have gone for the 'Dunkelgelb nach Muster' and insisted on deviating stitching in the interior. But what do I know about authentic Blitzkrieg hues? Ferry almost landed in the Eastern Front for that stunt...rather than in the relative safety of Gmünd in the Austrian state of Carinthia at war's end. So PTS has a long tradition at Porsche...and has always been a bit dangerous to choose!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*Photo of Targa courtesy of JUPJAI in Canada, who is expecting a Targa in this combination pretty soon!

To read full discussion, go to this link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...green-gt3.html
Attached Images     
Old 09-09-2014, 02:21 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default More on PTS 'Lichtgrün'

Larger photo of PTS 'Lichtgrün' Targa (Photo #1)!

And news of MY2015 PTS 'Lichtgrün' Turbo S Coupe with Dark 'Glass' Roof option (photo #2) at Porsche of San Diego!

http://san-diego.porschedealer.com/n...28482/info.php

Heads-up notice thanks to JUPJAI in Vancouver, Canada!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!