Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun Facts about the 991 (please contribute)

Old 06-30-2012, 06:25 PM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just discovered that The hill-assist function in MT cars works with first gear and reverse gear as follows:
If vehicle stopped going uphill, the hill assist starts working only when the 1st gear is engaged. If the first gear is not engaged, hill assist does not activate. So you can let the vehicle roll back by just pressing the clutch and not engaging first gear.
If vehicle is stopped facing downhill, engaging first gear will NOT engaged hill-assist BUT if you engage reverse, then hill-assist is engaged and will prevent the vehicle from moving downhill.
In other words, If there is a positive gradient (uphill) then hill-assist is activated with 1st gear. If Negative gradient (downhill) hill-assist is activated with reverse.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

24 mpg at 95 Malibu to sdiego w stop n go pretty amazing
Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
There is a "comfort exit" option you may select that does the same thing when you open the door
No Kidding?! I'll have to look for it. You really have made my day- thanks!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

On a trip from Philly to DC I tried the "Car" display. It has three screens one of which shows time and ave time and ave fuel consumption.

I got "involved" with the mileage and with the "sailing" mode working kept it in 7th and below 80 mostly (thats about 2200rpm) and eaked out 29 mpg! I was so involved I forgot to stop for gas and a walk and made it in record time averaging 70 mph. It was close re bladder, but that was the screens fault.
The following users liked this post:
Booth9999 (01-06-2024)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
No Kidding?! I'll have to look for it. You really have made my day- thanks!

No problem. This car makes my day, every day!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:38 PM
livaz
Intermediate

did you know that every Porsche that leaves the factory has its wheel center caps positioned in the way that the Porsche crest’s lower edge points to the tyre valve ?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by livaz
did you know that every Porsche that leaves the factory has its wheel center caps positioned in the way that the Porsche crest’s lower edge points to the tyre valve ?
Actually, the caps are left off at the factory and installed at the dealership.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

With a Multi function wheel you can enter coast mode on a PDK transmission by pressing the shifter paddle forward once or twice.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:23 AM
MojoCowboy
Intermediate

what the heck is coast mode?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Right mirror lowers for reversing quirk. I turned this off as when backing out of the garage as I need the mirror in normal mode to see the sides of the garage door. When in reverse mirror lowering mode, it turns the mirror down and in to see a curb, useless to view towards the rear and side.

Now I discovered that since I deactivated this feature, while I was reversing into a tight spot and needed to lower the mirror down just a bit, the computer took over and went to full down and in mode. Aaahhh!

Perhaps a solution is to program #3 for this purpose and hit this only when reversing, then hit #1 when done. I'll try this. Or it would be nice to be able to program the amount of reversing mirror tilt as one likes for the auto mirror mode.

Sport Chrono clock - don't know if this is same with 997, but when you first get in and insert the key, or when turning engine off, the Sport Chrono clock goes into a reverse spin mode and twirls around for a few seconds, as if to say " hey, look at me!"

Weird sounds - It's Alive! - The 991S makes all kinds of electronic sounds long after you turn it off, like relays and the right door thunk.

Engine sounds - The exhaust sound is fantastic, but there are so many other engine sounds that compete at idle and especially noticeable when standing near the rear. These extra sounds I presumed where the a/c compressor, but this sound persists even when a/c is turned off.

Unlike my just gone 996 where the exhaust dominated, the 991S exhaust sweetness is partially drowned out by the other stuff.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:02 PM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the hill hold function makes me stall upon take off almost every time it engages. Luckily tthe engine restarts by pushing the clutch pedal back in
Old 07-17-2012, 04:09 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the radio is off, you can turn it on by simply scrolling the right side wheel (on the multifunction steering wheel) up one notch. You can also mute the tunes by depressing the same scroll wheel.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MojoCowboy
what the heck is coast mode?

on a PDK equipped 991 the double clutch disconnects the engine from the tranny when coasting on an incline or decline. the engine revs at idle during this period.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:11 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotLap
If the radio is off, you can turn it on by simply scrolling the right side wheel (on the multifunction steering wheel) up one notch. You can also mute the tunes by depressing the same scroll wheel.
you can turn the radio off?
how do you turn the radio off?

i'm not fooling around, please tell how to turn it off.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
Right mirror lowers for reversing quirk. I turned this off as when backing out of the garage as I need the mirror in normal mode to see the sides of the garage door. When in reverse mirror lowering mode, it turns the mirror down and in to see a curb, useless to view towards the rear and side.

Now I discovered that since I deactivated this feature, while I was reversing into a tight spot and needed to lower the mirror down just a bit, the computer took over and went to full down and in mode. Aaahhh!
. . . .
Tried this procedure and all is good.

If the auto mirror lower mode is not selected; When you select reverse gear, the mirror selection button will automatically indicate L mirror selected. Press the right mirror selection button and the right mirror will self lower to your previous lowered setting. (If you make a further adjustment, the computer will not take over, my error.) Press the L mirror selection button while still in reverse and the R mirror returns to normal. Or, as you drive forward but not until you reach 15km/h, the R mirror returns to normal. Also, the mirror selector button indictor light returns to neutral - no selection.

If you activate the auto lower mode, put into reverse, the R mirror selector button light turns on and the mirror adjusts to your previous setting. Make a further adjustment, it remembers the new setting.

Really cool and well thought out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fun Facts about the 991 (please contribute)