Sponsored by:

Bucket Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bucket Seats

Does anybody have an idea on how much weight advantage do Porsche sport bucket seats have over standard ones? Thanks.

Since some confusion occurred, I want to point out that by Porsche sport bucket seat I mean P03 Sports Bucket seats for 991 which should be quite straight forward since this is 991 area.

Last edited by Roman Dudinov; 06-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Roman Dudinov
Does anybody have an idea on how much weight advantage do Porsche sport bucket seats have over standard ones? Thanks.
Information comes from Rennlist member Jams over at GT forum from an old post:

Adaptive Sport Seats 128.0 lbs.
Regular Sport Seats 97.2 lbs.
GT2 style Sport Buckets 67.0 lbs.
CGT style Sport Buckets 45.8 lbs.

Believe these weights do not include railings, just the two seat from the 997 era. No one in that forum talks about 'standard' comfort seats with leather backs (since none came standard in any gt3 or gt2 car) so they didn't bother to mentioned their weight in the discussion! But assume well over 100 lbs PLUS for both 991 standard seats, depending on the options! You have additional weight for ventilation/heating, and the 14 way (lumbar, thigh extensions)! Think motors and pumps - they all weigh in!

My '12 Spyder came from factory with the gt2 style Sport Buckets which is in the spirit (low weight) planned for that particular model. Currently those buckets are not offered at any price on the new 991 or 987 models!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado
Old 06-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

I don't think there is a huge weight difference between GT2 seats and ones you can spec for 991.
Thanks.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't think there is a huge weight difference between GT2 seats and ones you can spec for 991.
Thanks.
??? Then why did you ask? Ed just told you that there should be a significant difference and gave you solid numbers. No 'guessing' or 'I think'. BTW, the configurator in germany does allow the car to be fitted with the carbon bucket seats. It makes you wonder when they'll allow it in the US.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks.
Depends on what you call huge. Also depends on what your plan is. If you need a seat that retains the side airbag system and that also allows for use of harnesses, the GT2 is great and you get to knock off 30 to 60 lbs with a simple DIY. That's pretty significant in my opinion.

That being said, you would think for the hefty pricetag, that Porsche could reward us with something in the weight range of the CGT seats with an airbag.

A pair of Recaro Profi seats only weighs about 29 lbs and costs under 2K.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Originally Posted by orthojoe
??? Then why did you ask? Ed just told you that there should be a significant difference and gave you solid numbers. No 'guessing' or 'I think'. BTW, the configurator in germany does allow the car to be fitted with the carbon bucket seats. It makes you wonder when they'll allow it in the US.
What do you mean? I am in the UK and bucket seats for 991 are available to order here. I am making an assumption that GT2 bucket seats are approximately the same weight as ones available for 991. He didn't give me solid figure for the weight of 991 bucket seat but I don't think there is a huge weight difference between them.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Originally Posted by paver
Depends on what you call huge. Also depends on what your plan is. If you need a seat that retains the side airbag system and that also allows for use of harnesses, the GT2 is great and you get to knock off 30 to 60 lbs with a simple DIY. That's pretty significant in my opinion.

That being said, you would think for the hefty pricetag, that Porsche could reward us with something in the weight range of the CGT seats with an airbag.

A pair of Recaro Profi seats only weighs about 29 lbs and costs under 2K.
Again, I was talking about 991 Sports Bucket seat (P03). I have no idea whether you can spec them in the US but bucket seats for 991 are available in the UK as an option. They have an integrated airbag and an extra cost is almost identical to the one of 18-way Adaptive Sports Plus seats.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

What do you mean? I am in the UK and bucket seats for 991 are available to order here. I am making an assumption that GT2 bucket seats are approximately the same weight as ones available for 991. He didn't give me solid figure for the weight of 991 bucket seat but I don't think there is a huge weight difference between them.
Ah, my apologies. I didn't understand. I thought you were asserting that there wasn't a big difference between the 991 sport seats and the GT2 buckets.

The 991 bucket seats look like they are still using the same GT2 bucket seats to me. Good choice of seat!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ah, my apologies. I didn't understand. I thought you were asserting that there wasn't a big difference between the 991 sport seats and the GT2 buckets.

The 991 bucket seats look like they are still using the same GT2 bucket seats to me. Good choice of seat!
No worries.

I haven't made my choice yet. I have 991 on order with 18-way adaptive sports plus and it still seems to me as a better option since 991 C2S is not a dedicated track car for me. It will act as daily driver with some track day ambitions. But since I still can change specification of the car ordered it is so tempting to give up heating/ventilation and shave off some weight.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

I am making an assumption that GT2 bucket seats are approximately the same weight as ones available for 991. He didn't give me solid figure for the weight of 991 bucket seat but I don't think there is a huge weight difference between them.
Correct. Sport Bucket on your UK website for £2258 is the same exact seat we are calling here gt2 seats because they first appear in our market in the MY2008 gt2. So assume same weight as those above quoted from Jams. Like Orthojoe mentioned, we assume you were based in North America where this option is not yet available on the 991/981.

Unless you are building a lightweight 991 for mostly track use, my suggestion is to take advantage of the new Sport Plus Adaptive 18 Way Seats with ventilation/heat, lumbar support, up/down adjustments and extended thigh support! The gt2 buckets have no adjustments other than in/out. But for lightness, looks & harness support (plus air bag safety), nothing is currently better than these carbon fiber buckets in a production car!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 06-05-2012, 10:03 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i want the 3k carbon buckets in US!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

No worries.

I haven't made my choice yet. I have 991 on order with 18-way adaptive sports plus and it still seems to me as a better option since 991 C2S is not a dedicated track car for me. It will act as daily driver with some track day ambitions. But since I still can change specification of the car ordered it is so tempting to give up heating/ventilation and shave off some weight.
I strongly advise the buckets, they are superb, I did many 900 mile days in my turbo s cab and other rigs. They are second only to Ferrari racing seats in scuds, strads and can be ordered in 458. Comfie and supportive and light.

I certainly would have them in my 991 if USA had them.
Take advantage!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:28 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i want the 3k carbon buckets in US!
They will be here. Certainly by the time the GT3 is out, but probably before then.....

Quick Reply: Bucket Seats