Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

“Transmission failure” on night of delivery for 991S PDK

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 AM
ThatOneGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Making demands and stomping around will get you nowhere. Sounds like the dealer has stepped up and is doing their best to make it right. It's certain the transmission will be new and not re-manufactured because the 991 just launched and your car is literally brand new. It's very likely Porsche has already taken serious interest in such a failure at 23 miles. Express your concerns to the dealer and to Porsche, in writing if necessary, and ask the warranty be extended at no cost as a good will gesture. Certainly, it's upsetting. I would also be beside myself but Champion has a good reputation and will likely work hard to make you happy.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Yep the dealership didnt actually build the car so it wasnt their hands that created the catastrophic issue. True they represent the brand so they need to speak on behalf of the brand and not excuse anything. But just keep that in mind when the temptation is there to lay intoa sales guy or manager. Its shocking and unfortunate for them as well.

If they are smart and realize this incident is a lousy public relations boondoggle, they will want to keep it hush as much as possible and handle it like champs.

I think as a concession for the massive inconvenience and lack of reasonable opportunity to take delivery on a vehicle as advertised, a complimentary extended warranty on the car does not seem to me to be way out of line. Those are usually $2500-4500 or so. Seems pretty cheap hush money if Im the guy in Atlanta in the public relations office.

Its a great car. You just were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Personally I would not want to take delivery of a car that just bit a PDK transmission. I would always want to to know "what else" might be wrong with it or may be a ticking time bomb to go wrong as soon as my factory warranty is over. Which is why I think an extended warranty in good faith to ease your fears seems very reasonable in my judgement.

PCNA would foot that cost anyway. It would not be a dealer cost. So the dealer SHOULD go to bat for you on it.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:04 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Car is very nice....congrats!!!

Not to be a killjoy or a pessimist, just some advice............I would raise some real sh-t and get a new car pronto, as you may be too nice on this one........once something like this is replaced, it is either perfect or will continue to give you trouble, i.e. leaks if not installed/sealed right, etc.....

Don't ask me how I know......I'll tell you.......this was my experience for what it is worth..........

My transmission in a 996 replaced with a new transmission by dealer under warranty and not sealed correctly....started leaking after a couple thousand miles, etc.....never right after that, minor leaks....

Also.....My 993 had a transmission replaced for a bad synchro as part of the sales deal and it was also not sealed correctly by a different dealer.........it leaked.......second try, they took more care and hasn't leaked in 12 years........make sure they do it right!!

There is an art to re-sealing the transmission/engine correctly.....

Dealer can't seem to match the factory assembly
I think there is something to this. I wonder how many PDKs the dealership service people have replaced so far on 991's. You don't want them practicing on yours!
J
Old 02-28-2012, 03:50 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Stuff happens man, these are machines with thousands of parts made by men. When god starts making cars, then we can expect perfection. Until then, things like this are guaranteed to happen. The good news is it seems you have a proactive dealer who is going to get you taken care of and as they say, you attract more bees with honey than vinegar. Start stomping around and making demands and you won't get anywhere. Sorry man, but it will get taken care of.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to my 997.2. Fault codes came up. At dealer for a week.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If I may add to the great advice above I would "lightly" start to posture for a new car if you are not completely satisfied with the repair. I'd also ask to see the repair progress with the car on the lift, mostly for piece of mind
That being said, it all just nuts and bolts and I'm sure the new transmission will just drop in and everything will be fine...
Old 02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
dhsieh
Intermediate

It's true that Porsche dealers just represent the manufacturer. Often times, they are under tremendous pressure from manufacturer to cover faulty design & shoddy build quality. Just think about how many 996/997 owners got burned by IMS & RMS problems. As far as I can tell, Porsche has never officially issued any recall or public service campaign to address this issue. But instead, they use whatever means necessary and with help of dealers to cover them. Of course, Porsche has been trying to fix this problem in later 996/997 models quietly. My point is that, if the owners do not speak and make a case for themselves, they'll end up just like those unfortunately 996/997 owners with IMS/RMS problems. And by the way, Porsche is not the only manufacturer that does it. BMW, Lexus, Jaguar and many other luxury car makers are all alike when it comes to covering their product build quality.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride

I think as a concession for the massive inconvenience and lack of reasonable opportunity to take delivery on a vehicle as advertised, a complimentary extended warranty on the car does not seem to me to be way out of line. Those are usually $2500-4500 or so. Seems pretty cheap hush money if Im the guy in Atlanta in the public relations office.
huh?

massive inconvenience? He got 2 miles from the dealer, it died, he got a loaner and it got towed back. Inconvenience, sure, massive, not so much.

He's got a warranty and the car will be fixed, good as new. Not sure why this would deserve a $5000 extended warranty.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

I'd ask for a new car in a nice way...that doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all............did you even mention that to the salesperson?

All they can say is no and then you're right back wheee you were.

Tom
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To the OP: very sorry to read this and I completely understand your disappointment and frustration. I sincerely hope that the whole situation is handled quickly, efficiently, and to your satisfaction and that this is the only issue you have with your new car for as long as you own it. Many happy, safe miles and keep the shiny side up.

Originally Posted by dhsieh
After that, I will probably never buy a new Porsche in its first 2~3 years product lifecycle. Case in point, I just sold my 01' 996 and bought a real nice low miles pre-own 08' Carrera S that is still in warranty. This 08' 911 is the last year-model of 997 1st generation. If there is any issue, Porsche should have already fixed them (e.g., IMS, RMS and so forth). Now, I just spend my time taking this Carrera S to dealer to fix minor things, like windows / instrument cluster rattles for FREE. Furthermore, I may purchase the Fidelity Platinum extended warranty before new car warranty expires so that I am protected in the next 4 years.
To this point, and at the risk of hi-jacking this thread... be careful with you assumptions about what Porsche should have fixed. My 2008 997S had an RMS issue (and I know from this boad and the other one that I'm not alone) and several other problems that you would assume would have been resolved prior to 2008. Further I know at least two guys with 2008 vehicle that did experience IMS failures. Be careful with your assumptions.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 PM
dhsieh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
be careful with you assumptions about what Porsche should have fixed. My 2008 997S had an RMS issue (and I know from this boad and the other one that I'm not alone) and several other problems that you would assume would have been resolved prior to 2008. Further I know at least two guys with 2008 vehicle that did experience IMS failures. Be careful with your assumptions.
I did PPI before buying my 2008 997 S. At least, there was no external sign of IMS/RMS failure at the time of inspection. The mechanic said that w/o opening up them for further check, there was absolutely no way to be 100% sure if there is any hidden IMS/RMS problem. That is the reason why n extended warranty is a must IMHO. If Porsche had done a service to their faithful owners with recall or service campaign on this nagging problem, I probably won't have the need to buy an extended warranty. I believe this pretty much sums up many 996/997 owners' fear & distrust towards Porsche's lack of transparency in standing behind their products.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I'd ask for a new car in a nice way...that doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all............did you even mention that to the salesperson?

All they can say is no and then you're right back wheee you were.

Tom
why? Why should he get a new car...he already has one. he will get a sealed PDK unit straight from the factory floor...it will be installed by competent freshly trained technicians, and he will go on using his car. It happens.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:55 PM
MOM3NTM
Track Day

Default New transmission going in now

Well Porsche managed to get the transmission from Atlanta to Champion very quickly so I am pleased about that. They were very responsive and timely which says a lot. I was surprised they had a new transmission available in Atlanta. I should have the car back soon.

I appreciate everybody's perspective on this and definitely picked up a few helpful hints. I requested that Porsche NA back this repair by providing an extended warranty. It seems a reasonable sign of good faith for them to provide an extended warranty when there has been such a significant mechanical failure in such a short time. I have a friend who had a transmission fail in a GM SUV after 800 miles. In addition to repairing the transmission, GM provided an extended warranty 7 year/100000k miles without being asked. If GM can do this on a 40k SUV then I hope Porsche will step up and do the same.

I am hopeful the new transmission solves the problem and that I will have a trouble free Porsche ownership experience. Time will tell.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once ya get the car back and put some miles on it this whole affair will seem like a bad dream...
Nothing will make you feel better than that big smile when you enjoy your new baby!

Until then try to tough it out.
Best of luck!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
why? Why should he get a new car...he already has one. he will get a sealed PDK unit straight from the factory floor...it will be installed by competent freshly trained technicians, and he will go on using his car. It happens.
If i buy a big screen TV from Best Buy, and it doesn't work out of the box, do I get a new TV or wait for the repair and get it back when it's done?

At this price point, I'd expect to either get my money back or a new car. But, if he gets the extended warranty, then I'd think that's fair as well.

GL to the OP.

Quick Reply: “Transmission failure” on night of delivery for 991S PDK