Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI: Euro Delivery is No Charge for USA customers on all models!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:23 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Dealers have to pay $3K for it Porsche isn't paying for it..dealer will get it out of you one way or another....
Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Dealers have to pay $3K for it Porsche isn't paying for it..dealer will get it out of you one way or another....
Not necessarily true. Dealer gets an extra allocation for every ED car sold, the profit from which is far greater than $3k. That's why my dealer gave me several more percentage points off of msrp when I chose factory delivery.

Spyder
Old 09-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If you don't want to read any further just take this one piece of advice. If you're a Porschephile, taking delivery of your new Porsche at the factory is an absolute "must do".

I've actually done it 3 times. The first was in '84, when Porsche still gave a discount on TD cars, rather than charging for the privilege. To my great disappointment, the metalworkers union went on strike that summer and they did not go back to work until near the end of our stay in Europe. I got to see my car at the factory but not drive it. I made up for that in '99 when I picked up my 996. Near the end of that trip, after the car had a few miles on it, I put in some laps at the Nurburgring. And then there was the '09 trip when I picked up my current Carrera S, and drove some of the great mountain roads in Austria and Switzerland.

Some of the details of TD have changed but the basic experience is the same. Porsche makes it very easy to do, making all necessary arrangements for 2 weeks of paid insurance coverage and no cost shipment of the car to your dealer. In addition to the price of the car (paid in advance) you will be charged $10K to cover the German VAT. This amount is returned to you upon final delivery of the car (with interest). Figure on 4-6 weeks to have the car shipped back to North America. Although it helps somewhat to have a dealer that is experienced with the TD process, any dealer can handle it.

The day you pick up the car, you feel like a kid making their first trip to Disneyland. After a complimentary night's stay in a first class hotel you take an early morning cab ride (reimbursed by Porsche; keep your receipts) to the factory. You check in at the desk and are offered refreshments. Depending on when your factory tour is scheduled, it comes next. The factory has changed a lot since '84; much more modern and automated but still fascinating. After that you meet the factory rep who introduces you to your car. They will spend an hour or more with you, going over every aspect of the car's operation, answering questions and engaging in conversation about your new Porsche. Then comes a complimentary lunch at the new factory restaurant, a multi-course gourmet affair followed by a visit to the incredible Porsche museum and then the factory showroom across the street, if you want. (who wouldn't?)

It's now mid-afternoon and you're ready to climb in your new car and head out. The rep hands you the keys and a parting gift; we got a nice bottle of Porsche labeled wine. It's been a whirlwind day, and settling into the seat of your new Porsche and firing up the engine seems like the perfect conclusion to it. It's actually been a day of total sensory overload and it will take a while for you to assimilate it all. But it's just the start of your adventure with your new Porsche. From there all the great driving roads and destinations of Europe lie ahead.

Like I said at the top, if you love Porsches, this HAS to be on your bucket list. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
It looks like every one goes to Gmünd!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Edgy01; 09-20-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FYI: Euro Delivery is No Charge for USA customers on all models!