Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INsideline on new '12 911 (991)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more I think about it, this is kind of hard for me. When someone spends 100k on a car they expect certain luxuries. I think Porsche is in a hard spot to continue to produce a true sports car, yet be competitive in the marketplace.

An example is how may of us added blue tooth or iPod to our cars because they lacked it from the factory? Now it is included. Are these necessary in a sports car? No, yet the consumer demands them because of the price point.

I'm sure the new model will outperform the last, even on the track. I'm sure if I had one I will like it as well. It's just going to be a little different.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:55 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CBnAT
The more I think about it, this is kind of hard for me. When someone spends 100k on a car they expect certain luxuries. I think Porsche is in a hard spot to continue to produce a true sports car, yet be competitive in the marketplace.

An example is how may of us added blue tooth or iPod to our cars because they lacked it from the factory? Now it is included. Are these necessary in a sports car? No, yet the consumer demands them because of the price point.

I'm sure the new model will outperform the last, even on the track. I'm sure if I had one I will like it as well. It's just going to be a little different.
included? me thinks bluetooth/ipod etc will be extra cost positions. P never gives anything away, not even floor mats!
Youre prob right tho. the harder core guys will have to move up to the GT cars.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by CBnAT

I guess it depends on what you're after. Growing up I always considered a Porsche a no frills sports car. Granted some frills are nice and I personally am willing to give up some performance for them but I prefer it to be my choice. For example I added back the A/C and radio on my Spyder but didn't take the heated seats or bi xenon to keep the weight down. I also figured I can negate some of the weight gain with a lightweight battery in the future.

In the upcoming 991 you can't option out the longer wheelbase and electronic steering which historically feels disconnected. It's a big wait and see at this point.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
Interior looks to have gone Luxury...reminds me of a Mercedes or the Panamera...
Exactly. None of those shiny bits, from ***** to door trim, belong in a 911.

The original marketing plan for the Cayenne was to sell SUVs to their sports car customer base. With the success of the Cayenne, and now the Panamera, bringing in new Porsche customers, it's as if the marketing plan to revive 911 sales has flipped to sell to these new luxury customers seeking only the Porsche marque. The latest advertising campaign is now starting to make sense.

We've watched MB and BMW abandon their strong brand images from the 1970s and 1980s in order to be all things to all people. Looks like Porsche is next.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Looks like another significant departure (internally) from 911 cockpits. Not a big fan of this latest look.
The higher center console looks to be a little tighter on the leg room.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 PM
dansen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I think it needs a little more hp
Jim
IMO, it has a stronger and lighter body so doesn't need more powers.
I still think the newer are the better.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

VERY DISAPPOINTED!

It is confirmed now, 991 is going to be a Porsche GT coupe! To compete with Aston Martin, M3, Maserati, AMG, etc... THERE WILL BE another *sport* model to be a true sports car, competing with Ferrari, etc... AT A MUCH HIGHER PREMIUM!

This is how it's gonna go! Look at all the new Porsche commercials, they're targeting 911 at RICH soccer moms and non-sports car buyers... telling em, BUY a Porsche, it's got the right logo on the hood for your Thursday night club gathering!

The answer is to start again. You can argue that the changes that turn the 997 into the 991 are just as comprehensive and significant as those that ended the reign of the 993 in 1998. Sure, there is nothing quite so culturally shocking as the abandonment of air cooling for water radiators, but the overall transformation into the 991 is at least as significant.
I bet the value of 997 is NOT going to drop as much... look at how 993 values are holding up! 991 is 993 of today!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:19 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Originally Posted by kosmo
anyone else notice the lack of PDK Toggles? I wonder if they are no more.
"Porsche has added a chrome push button, leather trimmed, inside a leather lined compartment, that is opened by voice command." This button, when engaged will shift the transmission with ease and much smoother than before..
Old 06-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
"Porsche has added a chrome push button, leather trimmed, inside a leather lined compartment, that is opened by voice command." This button, when engaged will shift the transmission with ease and much smoother than before..
Very "James Bond".
Old 06-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like a small 2 door Panamera vs a 911 sports car. Not sure about this move, bigger is not better.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I guess it depends on what you're after. ...

True. Companies design products following market demands. In this case:

1 - PAG knows that more and more 911 buyers buy the car for show and the badge and know those guys are after frills and 'luxury'. That is why a sports car is getting the interior of a luxo-box.

2 - PAG and all car manufacturers are under the iron fist of government regulators (EPA in the US). A larger car gets more lenient regs than a smaller car... Therefore, we are seeing enlarged car footprints - the real reason the WB was increased. They will never state that publicly, of course. They also will use the added length, in a couple of years, to add hybrid components, another concession to the enforcers. And of course, that will more than offset any weight savings achieved by the 991 chassis...

... and that is the world we are are living.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Its still considered a 2 door Compact right ? How could they move Large Car regs on that classification ?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at it this way.
Porsche has addressed the customer's concern with the excessive depreciation issue, by making all the 997's more valuable than they would have been, had Porsche simply taken the 997 to the next level.....

They also managed to instantly create more interest in their sports car coupe...the Cayman

Smart guys..
Old 06-30-2011, 02:18 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a road! Top gear guys need to go there. Oh, and I want those guys's job
Old 06-30-2011, 03:26 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

i am also concerned of why the heck they decided to mess up with steering. i guess we wil have to wait for those cars to hit the market to decide about it.

also fun they actually did 'manual' 3 pedal version of a regular PDK box. it is probably just fun joke for engineers to play with but still, why not.

Quick Reply: INsideline on new '12 911 (991)