Xpost: C&D drives the 991

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The PSM business is a real downer ....
dont think you have to worry about any 991 GT car Bob ...
Old 06-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
"We sharpened the 911 by making it faster, more responsive, safer, and more environmentally friendly. But we didn't mess it up!"
He lied.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

here is what I think the PSM deal is:

PSM *always* collects sensor input off or on.

with PSM "off", sensor input is still gathered by the car, if you exceed PSM "limits" without braking PSM will not correct the vehicles attitude, if you brake (regardless of intensity) PSM will intervene until the
car resumes behavior within PSM "limits" then it turns itself "off" again.

So "off" means "dont do anything unless PSM thinks the car is out of control and I brake"
Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
He lied.
I will remind you of this around the time you order your 1st 991!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
honestly, I dont know what I am talking about, but I always understood that PSM would re-activate upon hard braking in the non GT cars ... where off means off....
Correct! I feel though that PSM (at least in the 997.2) is non-intrusive, but I'm just a rank amateur.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Correct! I feel though that PSM (at least in the 997.2) is non-intrusive, but I'm just a rank amateur.
GT or non GT?

certainly I think the PSM in the 997.2 GT3 is totally non intrusive ... I think they have even cured the rear brake overheating issue caused by the TC!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I will remind you of this around the time you order your 1st 991!
I'll get one of the Carreras and count the days until it can be replaced by the GT3 and then by the RS or whatever they call them all. But I'll get the custom "Vanity" plate of "Panamarrera" ...
Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I think it's time for some "disobedience" ... as soon as I get a 991, I'll make a YouTube video of me removing the sunroof ... with a gas powered saw ...

Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

GT or non GT?

certainly I think the PSM in the 997.2 GT3 is totally non intrusive ... I think they have even cured the rear brake overheating issue caused by the TC!
997.1 GT3 you can completely turn off the electronic aids.
Tried and tested by yours truly

997.2 GT3 same confirmed by Bob Rouleau

Now I am curious about the non GT cars.

Sir Adam the four.0 , what say you ? : )
Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

GT or non GT?
Carrera S. I hear that, as you say, PSM is also very non-intrusive in the GT3.

PSM if off will re-engage if brutal braking is applied. The system will think the driver is in trouble. I suspect though that although re-engaged, it may not intervene if not needed.

I attended the Roadshow at Candlestick last month and several people complained about PSM intervention... little they knew that their poor driving technique was causing that. Many of those people are binary actuators - throttle on or off, steering straight or suddenly jerked; smoothness and progressive actuation is alien to them. This is why these cars are becoming fully automated - the people can't drive. All these people heard Cass' lecture on smooth driving but it did not stick.

Last edited by ADias; 06-29-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: add detail.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW

997.1 GT3 you can completely turn off the electronic aids.Tried and tested by yours truly

Agreed, off is off in the GT cars; having gone back and re-googled PSM for Carerras I now believe my description of "off is off until I screw up and stamp on the brake, but it only comes back on until everything is back to normal" is accurate.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think it's time for some "disobedience" ... as soon as I get a 991, I'll make a YouTube video of me removing the sunroof ... with a gas powered saw ...

It seems that the new sunroof is a huge hole as big as the current Targa... (see the roof lines on the photo below). I actually like the current sunroof in my S, but the new one is ridiculous. I hope PCNA makes it an option.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The TC on the 7.1 was (in part) responsible for the overheating of the rear brakes due to it intervening too often (when "on")
Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
997.1 GT3 you can completely turn off the electronic aids.
Tried and tested by yours truly

About PSM, as it was explained to me, is never "off" at all, it simply switches to a different set of rules, but once it reaches a threshold where it must intervene or lose the opportunity to be able to recover control (after a certain slip-angle f'rsinance, no amount of inside rear braking or engine de-powering will compensate enough to recover given various traction calculations) it will reinstall itself.

On a 996 GT3, in the USA market, there's no PSM or TC or SC, but some (still) say they have experienced intervention.

On 997.1 GT3 once you turn off TC, it never comes back. But again, it's only TC, so it's not as if it was ever going to do anything.

Keep in mind the EDC "engine drag torque" feature is always present. I thought of it as part of TC, but I guess it's separate.

997.2 GT3 RS, in my humble experience, if you totally lose it with SC and TC off, those systems will report, after you spin and come to a halt "SC failure" ... which I found fascinating and inexplicable.

I would like to turn off TC and keep SC on, but it only works the other way round in the 997.2 -- you can turn off SC, or you can turn off SC and TC, but you can't turn off TC and keep SC on. Pity. TC is an idiot -- it will intervene when the LSD should be doing its job. But of course, the 997.2 RS has no LSD to speak of, so what am I saying? : )

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...lectedVariant=
Old 06-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Carrera S. I hear that, as you say, PSM is also very non-intrusive in the GT3.

PSM if off will re-engage if brutal braking is applied. The system will think the driver is in trouble. I suspect though that although re-engaged, it may not intervene if not needed.
PSM will intervene (when off) if any of the monitored parameters are exceeded and *any* braking occurs, once monitored params are back within limits PSM will return to passive state.

PSM "off" in the GT cars means "off" there is no "hail mary" brake activated mode

I attended the Roadshow at Candlestick last month and several people complained about PSM intervention... little they knew that their poor driving technique was causing that. Many of those people are binary actuators - throttle on or off, steering straight or suddenly jerked; smoothness and progressive actuation is alien to them. This is why these cars are becoming fully automated - the people can't drive. All these people heard Cass' lecture on smooth driving but it did not strick.

Quick Reply: Xpost: C&D drives the 991