Sponsored by:

New Article On The 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
unsure where to put this rant. but I wish P would just offer the gt3 engine (435hp) in all 991 variants.
why? then our Carrera's would cost higher, since it would take longer to build.... Gt1 based engines on a Carrera is overkill.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Am guessing that all coupes will get a hatch back--how else do you explain the routing for the stick on CB aerial/antenna?
They drilled a hole for the obviously temporary hook up. It is a test mule, after all, so you're going to see all kinds of oddities.

It appears that the engine lid may be hinged with no panel between the lid and window as there is now. The new spoiler will be less deep but wider at the bottom of the lid. I see no seam along the sides of the rear window that would indicate a hatch. If there was a hatch it would have to be frameless glass on top attached to the lid at the bottom which would be totally bizarre as a single piece. Besides, a 911 coupe as a hatchback? God I hope not. A far bigger departure from tradition that a mere 4 inches of wheelbase.

The simplest explanation is most often the correct one (see Occam's razor). They drilled a hole.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-20-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
They drilled a hole for the obviously temporary hook up. It is a test mule, after all, so you're going to see all kinds of oddities.

It appears that the engine lid may be hinged with no panel between the lid and window as there is now. The new spoiler will be less deep but wider at the bottom of the lid. I see no seam along the sides of the rear window that would indicate a hatch. If there was a hatch it would have to be frameless glass on top attached to the lid at the bottom which would be totally bizarre as a single piece. Besides, a 911 coupe as a hatchback? God I hope not. A far bigger departure from tradition that a mere 4 inches of wheelbase.

The simplest explanation is most often the correct one (see Occam's razor). They drilled a hole.
I agree...or they ran the wire under the "hood". A hatch for all would be cool though, but probably not what we are seeing.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by stevepow
I agree...or they ran the wire under the "hood".
Exactly. Even more simple....
Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Am guessing that all coupes will get a hatch back--how else do you explain the routing for the stick on CB aerial/antenna?
How about to the glass then to the rear and into the engine bay? The glass area just does not look like a hatch to me, even if it was it would be a weird half engine and half back seat that you have to reach over the engine to get to. Also they would have to seal the engine from the passenger compartment with molding about the end of the glass line (sounds too noisy to make sense).

Maybe a better edit, what they said. =)
Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

1/ rear hatch
I think it will be rear hatch, see the back part of the roof is probably one piece with the rear window and the rear deck lid. If not why would they cut the roof ? I can't find any explanation aside of the hatchback for that gap on the back of the roof

2/ rear tail light
the tail light can be seen if you look past the camo plastic layer '997.1 style' they seem o be led in a wide rectangular shape. But more importantly they are very recessed, so it can be nothing, or it could be that the whole rear fenders are bogus and that the 991 will have a very different butt. Instead of the current round ***, it could be something much angular..

3/ rear fenders...
Everybody had fun with the side 'fake turbo' stickers, but we should ask why would they bother with those ? I think they wanted us to think it was a turbo so we would not ask why the rear fender are so damn wide... Those fender are totally fake I think. We are in for a surprise when they come off
Old 01-21-2011, 03:44 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by philooo
1/ rear hatch
I think it will be rear hatch, see the back part of the roof is probably one piece with the rear window and the rear deck lid. If not why would they cut the roof ? I can't find any explanation aside of the hatchback for that gap on the back of the roof
Previous pictures have shown a large tilt up sunroof on the test mule, which I'm not convinced is the final configuration, but that's beside the point. The "cut" in the roof you're referring is the back edge of that sunroof, not the leading edge of a hatch.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:37 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Why would they make a large glass sunroof on the coupe ? wouldn't it compromise the chassis rigidity ?

hum... or may be an optional 'large' sunroof...

arghh they got me on that one
Old 01-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by philooo
Why would they make a large glass sunroof on the coupe ? wouldn't it compromise the chassis rigidity ?

hum... or may be an optional 'large' sunroof...

arghh they got me on that one
I agree, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either , which is why I'm not convinced it's headed for production. If it is, I hope it's optional as you say.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the door-mounted side mirrors. No more whistling noise at speed.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kosmo
unsure where to put this rant. but I wish P would just offer the gt3 engine (435hp) in all 991 variants.
+1 "Hell Yeah"
Old 01-21-2011, 04:06 PM
s329
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still very much intrigued about the rumors regarding a convertible hardtop option. Would some purists find this insulting? Perhaps but to me it seems like its a nice evolutionary step from what the targa line has meant to the 911 platform. Every single owner on this board has probably gone through the merits of a coupe vs convert at some point in their purchasing process. If I could afford both, I would love to carry 2 cars, but that's just not realistic for me. A hardtop convert done well without adding too much weight or disrupting the lines of the car would fit in very nicely if/when the time comes for me to move onto the new model. Having said that I don't see myself getting rid of my 997.1 for a long time.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Default The hardtop convertible usually takes up too much room when folded.

It is the well done part that is the problem. Every hardtop convertible I am familiar with uses much more room when stowed and therefore usually makes the trunk capacity almost ridiculous. I like the canvas top on the old BMW 3 series, the new hardtop, not so much. The SL500 has almost enough room for a briefcase when folded, as does the Lexus. I'll take more storage room thank you and keep the canvas.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 PM
s329
Racer

I'm not concerned as much about the trunk space it would take up as opposed to the added weight. I agree with you that most hardtop converts take up a decent amount of space, but how many 911 owners decide to purchase or not purchase this car based on trunk space??? There isn't any as it is already! I know everyone's criteria is different but a hardtop convertible would be a viable option for people like me that were in the middle. I chose the coupe, don't like rag tops.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Default Hardtop convertible

Originally Posted by s329
I'm not concerned as much about the trunk space it would take up as opposed to the added weight. I agree with you that most hardtop converts take up a decent amount of space, but how many 911 owners decide to purchase or not purchase this car based on trunk space??? There isn't any as it is already! I know everyone's criteria is different but a hardtop convertible would be a viable option for people like me that were in the middle. I chose the coupe, don't like rag tops.
I drive with the top down almost 95% of the time, even in light rain, if I am able to go fast enough to stay dry. It works! I need some storage space to carry luggage, coolers, etc. for a weekend. I surely don't want to travel with the top up just to carry stuff along. Driving with the top down is THE THING, if you don't then you'll never miss the space. All my other 911's were coupes as I was instructing and tracking, now I am cruising and smiling! If you have been a coupe driver and think you might occasionally put the top down under ideal weather conditions I can see how it would work for you. I drove motorcycles for
years and years until I bought my '02 Boxster S. It seemed more of a connection to nature to me than when riding the bike! I always wore my helmet and safety gear so I felt somewhat isolated from nature. With the top down I feel even more connected, comfortable and "out" in the environment. Just my point of reference.

Quick Reply: New Article On The 991