Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How do you use your sunroof, if at all?
Never us the dang thing!
36.43%
Tilt function.
25.00%
Fully retracted.
31.43%
Wish it were clear.
21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Clear sunroof?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Not sure I'm loving that new sunroof. Aesthetically from the exterior, it looks pretty bad. The neat and tidy hole in the top we have now seems perfect and classic, all the way back to the '50s. I'd just prefer not to be driving down the road with the top of the car hanging off the back covering half the rear glass - seems a bit clunky to me. Perhaps worst new feature I have seen unless there is some yet to be revealed cleverness.
I agree. It also seems to indicate that almost everything from just behind the windshield header to the base of the rear window is going to be glass. What if you don't like being in a big greenhouse/fishbowl? Isn't chassis rigidity going to be compromised with that giant hole in the roof? Hopefully what's being shown is a panoramic roof option.

Edit: TerpsRed may be on to something in post #59.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Concur. Suspect the Targa roof will pass in the night. It's never been that popular and to maintain that option in the lineup has to be expensive, with little payoff.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Mueller has hinted at a Cayman Targa

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/24/r...arting-with-a/

"It's no secret that Porsche has big sales ambitions. Just how it plans on getting there, however, is another matter entirely. On the back of such diversified products as the Panamera and Cayenne, it's clear that extending its product range will be integral to its growth plans, and recently appointed Porsche CEO Matthias Mueller has given a few clues as to what's in store down the product pipeline.

First up could be a Targa version of the Cayman that could stand to bridge the gap between the existing Cayman coupe and its open-top counterpart, the Boxster, with removable (or sliding) roof panels. But that's hardly the extent of it."

Makes sense if you think the Cayman is a hatch already like the 997 Targa
Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
First up could be a Targa version of the Cayman that could stand to bridge the gap between the existing Cayman coupe and its open-top counterpart, the Boxster, with removable (or sliding) roof panels. But that's hardly the extent of it."

Makes sense if you think the Cayman is a hatch already like the 997 Targa
That would be a really cool car if they do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear sunroof?