Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flushing Fluid From ABS Circuit

Old 03-17-2020, 12:22 PM
BOPE
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Flushing Fluid From ABS Circuit

When I flush the brakes on my motorcycle, I use a computer program that activates the ABS circuit to ensure that the fluid that is trapped there is flushed from the system.

So I was wondering how folks flush the brake system on their 991.2? Is a computer program or other device or method used to ensure all the fluid from the ABS circuit is released and flushed?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 03-17-2020, 12:54 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BOPE
When I flush the brakes on my motorcycle, I use a computer program that activates the ABS circuit to ensure that the fluid that is trapped there is flushed from the system.

So I was wondering how folks flush the brake system on their 991.2? Is a computer program or other device or method used to ensure all the fluid from the ABS circuit is released and flushed?

Thanks!
Jason
My understanding is that the only proper way to completely flush whether .1 or .2 991 is using PIWIS tool to open and close each of the dampers in the system. I don't know of any other electronic tool available that would perform this same process.... Most of us simply do a "best effort" brake flush forcing the fluid through the system out each caliper valve until fluid color changes.... I've done this countless times and never had an issue with my 991's.
Cheers!
Old 03-17-2020, 04:28 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts

Another option is to flush as above and then “activate” the abs by coming to a sudden stop. Once that happens, you flush again.
The following users liked this post:
raaizin (10-10-2021)
Old 03-17-2020, 08:28 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

The 991 workshop manual does not direct use of PIWIS for scheduled brake fluid replacement. According to the WSM, PIWIS is needed only if the ABS pump is replaced.

FWIW.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:01 PM
BOPE
Racer

Originally Posted by worf928
The 991 workshop manual does not direct use of PIWIS for scheduled brake fluid replacement. According to the WSM, PIWIS is needed only if the ABS pump is replaced.

FWIW.
That's all well and good, but the fluid in the ABS circuit does not get flushed without some sort of tool/software activating the ABS to release the trapped fluid. So, without some means of triggering the ABS valves, you're not getting a complete brake fluid flush.

Jason
Old 03-17-2020, 09:55 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

That's all well and good, but the fluid in the ABS circuit does not get flushed without some sort of tool/software activating the ABS to release the trapped fluid. So, without some means of triggering the ABS valves, you're not getting a complete brake fluid flush.

Jason
The way I look at it, we never get 100% fluid replacement no matter what, short of separating all components and lines, flushing with solvent, and drying. The key question is the volume of fluid isolated in the ABS part of the circuit, and what percent this is of the total system. Same as with oil changes.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:44 AM
BOPE
Racer

Originally Posted by bkrantz
The key question is the volume of fluid isolated in the ABS part of the circuit, and what percent this is of the total system. Same as with oil changes.
Indeed, when changing the oil in a 991.2 there appears to be a considerable quantity of "dirty" oil that remains in the oil cooler and the oil lines that connect it to the engine. But this oil is immediately circulated with the "clean" oil when the engine is started. So dilution is the solution in this case.

However, the brake fluid in the ABS circuit will not circulate with the fluid in the remainder of the system unless the ABS valves are activated and the brake pedal is depressed multiple times as the ABS valves are being cycled. This is best achieved with the use of device to activate the ABS valves.

How much fluid is trapped in the ABS circuit is unknown to me. But my concern is that stagnant fluid harboring moisture in a delicate circuit is harmful, hence my query for a program/tool/device to more effectively flush the brake system.

Jason
Old 03-18-2020, 10:46 AM
BOPE
Racer

Deleted duplicate post.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:09 AM
991.1 Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 482 Posts

I agree with "activating the ABS manually" to flush the fluid. I have done it on several other cars with good results. Fill and bleed the system, then drive and brake hard enough to activate the ABS several times and re-bleed. Most tracked cars never have to worry about this since ABS is activated frequently.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:37 AM
BOPE
Racer

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I agree with "activating the ABS manually" to flush the fluid. I have done it on several other cars with good results. Fill and bleed the system, then drive and brake hard enough to activate the ABS several times and re-bleed. Most tracked cars never have to worry about this since ABS is activated frequently.
Good point about track cars activating ABS times during a run to help distribute the brake fluid beyond the ABS circuit.

Since I don't track my car, I think I'll continue my search for a tool that will manually activate the ABS system.

Jason
Old 03-18-2020, 02:08 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Good point about track cars activating ABS times during a run to help distribute the brake fluid beyond the ABS circuit.

Since I don't track my car, I think I'll continue my search for a tool that will manually activate the ABS system.

Jason
Have you tried reaching out to a technical advisor at a Porsche dealership? I normally make calls seeking advice on technical related issues at Porsche dealerships and Indy shops with moderate success when I need feedback beyond this forum.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:13 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Does the modern Porsche ABS pump feature cavities that are completely closed off from the rest of the brake fluid supply? Or, is the supply-side of the valves open to the fluid supply with the pressure-side closed-off via the valves?
Old 03-18-2020, 03:19 PM
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 545 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
Another option is to flush as above and then “activate” the abs by coming to a sudden stop. Once that happens, you flush again.
Unfortunately, the fluid in the ABS chambers only cycles internally when the ABS is "activated". To actually move fluid through both major chambers, you'll want to have upstream pressure, downstream bleed path open while cycling the ABS unit. So the dirty fluid has a place to go. No good opportunity to do that while driving.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:04 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Indeed, when changing the oil in a 991.2 there appears to be a considerable quantity of "dirty" oil that remains in the oil cooler and the oil lines that connect it to the engine. But this oil is immediately circulated with the "clean" oil when the engine is started. So dilution is the solution in this case.

However, the brake fluid in the ABS circuit will not circulate with the fluid in the remainder of the system unless the ABS valves are activated and the brake pedal is depressed multiple times as the ABS valves are being cycled. This is best achieved with the use of device to activate the ABS valves.

How much fluid is trapped in the ABS circuit is unknown to me. But my concern is that stagnant fluid harboring moisture in a delicate circuit is harmful, hence my query for a program/tool/device to more effectively flush the brake system.

Jason
I believe, here is a vid that addresses your question.

The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 09:54 PM
BOPE
Racer

Originally Posted by Jack F
I believe, here is a vid that addresses your question.

https://youtu.be/fUqmBqYIEAE
Indeed, the Autel tool works very similar to the one I have for my motorcycle. I plan to contact Autel to ask if they have a tool that will bleed the ABS on a 991.2.

Thanks for posting the video!

Jason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flushing Fluid From ABS Circuit