Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Pre-Purchase Inspection by Peter Zimmermann

Old 06-05-2006, 03:45 PM
johncarlos2003
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI

personally, i would spring for it- and im not rich, trust me. this is a car that's gonna last a long time and give you endless pleasure so it seems the right move to get the right one (tests out well!) so that youy don't get bitter over it later- things will happen periodically even if it does test strong, that's the nature of the beast- just a good idea to get a fit beast from the start so as to get a bit of reliability in your maintenance over the years and get bills in the hundreds or DIY parts bills rather than some huge bills for major issues you missed by saving a few bucks on the full health check- it will give you big time peace of mind! good luck and enjoy that beast!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!! Let's start with your PPI - have somebody that knows what they're doing do the next one! Of course you need a leakdown test - the car is almost 20 years old! The tire issue is easy - just read the date code on the sidewall, if they're older than 5 or 6 years, replace them. What on earth is item # 5? You can't "tighten" Carrera timing chain tensioners! He doesn't want to do a leakdown unless "the valves are loud," but then I read your # 7...huh? $250 to fix the A/C, huh? I don't think so! $1500 is more typical, and it could go higher than that. A engine and G-50 transmission being "rebuilt" at 90K miles? What the heck for? Your "$500" won't come close to paying for this car's problems. Man, don't walk away from this car - RUN AWAY!!!
Pete
Old 08-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Best of luck to you.

Pete
Old 08-03-2006, 03:56 PM
nyturbo
Advanced

Just had PPI done yesterday for 88 slant turbo with 69 K miles......compression test showed 145 consistently, valves good, upgraded turbo K27 and upgraded intercooler fine, needs alignment and clutch lowered and adjusted, and fluids to be changed. No sign of rust, corrosion, brakes 1/3 gone and a/c system warm but expected. The only concern is upgraded exhaust pops alot..sounds good but is the popping normal for this car?
Old 08-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

A different exhaust is, many times, not an "upgrade." And yes, aftermarket exhaust systems can often make unusual noises; your PPI tech should have explained that to you, perhaps pointing out a stress crack, a blown gasket, etc. More things than the exhaust can cause popping, unfortunately, with Turbos, they're not all the same, and virtually impossible to diagnose in a forum like this. A second opinion might serve you well...
Pete
Old 11-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the readers who have shown an interest in this post, and sincerely hope that it's been helpful. Happy Thanksgiving 2006 to all!
Pete
Old 11-27-2006, 04:47 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Pete, happy thanksgiving too..................... I'm looking forward to getting my own car back on the road, and on a road trip up north with it, I will stop by and say hello.

Murphyslaw, ever buy that carrera? As the old saying goes, Fools step in where angels fear to tread.......
Old 11-29-2006, 10:44 PM
GeneralTso
Instructor

Hey Peter,

Your contributions to this forum are priceless! I just ordered your book on Amazon...Looking forward to some great winter reading!

Jeff
Old 11-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by fixnprsh
...Murphyslaw, ever buy that carrera? As the old saying goes, Fools step in where angels fear to tread...
Yes, I did buy the Carrera. I was just a newbie asking dumb questions with incorrect Porsche-vocab back then. Even though I have a mechanical engineering background (and have rebuilt a few engines and trannys), I'm no Porsche expert. But I will say that a lot of research went into buying my first 911, and I'm happy to report that I've had no real issues with the car.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:43 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear everything worked out. Having an engineering back ground, you can really appreciate the thought processes and development of these cars more than most I'm sure from another prospective
Old 05-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Link to this thread added to the Admin post at the top.

Unsticking this one.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:30 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 38 Posts
Default How do you check your charging system?

Check charging system using a VOM (Volt-Ohm Meter) at the battery
I don't own a VOM, but can easily get one. How do I connect it at the battery to check the charging system? I assume this is pretty easy to do, but would just like some directions. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1stgear
I don't own a VOM, but can easily get one. How do I connect it at the battery to check the charging system? I assume this is pretty easy to do, but would just like some directions. Thanks!
1stgear: You should probably start a new thread titled, "Help, Charging System Problem" or similar - you're likely to get far more activity. Be sure to list year, model, and any changes/mods such as a different engine (3.2L in an SC, etc.)...
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 AM
drreiki
1st Gear

I was reviewing forums.roadfly.com/porsche 911. Re: Victory Motor cars-Beware. Apparently Robert Neal at Victory Motorcars (independent dealer) has been deceiving clients with severely compromised porsches, misrepresenting their problems. Some have made claims that he recommends mechanics shops for PPI, that he pays off to conceal their problems. There is great corruption going on there
Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just ordered the 8th edition from amazon, can't wait to read it!

Does anybody have any other 911 related books they would recommend to a young enthusiast? I've also read "The Gold Plated Porsche" and loved it.

Thanks,
-Jonathan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Pre-Purchase Inspection by Peter Zimmermann