Sponsored by: Road Spy

Car Cover Successes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:54 PM
unkiemotorhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cover Successes?

991.2 T is apparently a FAT car.....the Covercraft lightweight silver cover fits exceedingly tight, so they're working on a solution for me. Meanwhile, have any of you found a lightweight reflective cover that fits well? I have these covers for a number of other cars, including a 996TT and they were nicely snug but not this tight. Tnx Unkie

Old 03-13-2017, 11:22 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I have the OEM Porsche cover. Lightweight, has Porsche crest, fits perfectly and even has retaining straps that you close the trunk cover on to keep it from growing legs.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUPKECC991TT.html

Old 03-13-2017, 11:27 PM
unkiemotorhead
Intermediate

tnx! unkie
Old 03-14-2017, 01:42 AM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
I have the OEM Porsche cover. Lightweight, has Porsche crest, fits perfectly and even has retaining straps that you close the trunk cover on to keep it from growing legs.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUPKECC991TT.html

I have the same one, it works great!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:25 AM
Ian M
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Guys, have you had any issues with the cover marking the paint? I know the car must be clean before the cover goes on but wondered if it still caused any marring issues. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:24 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOSTED TTS
I have the same one, it works great!
+1.... though I use Porsche's indoor version.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:37 AM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I'd like to get a "presentation" cover...a loose fitting drape just to keep the dust off after fresh wash while parked..found one in Europe but costly..I already have a fitted cover but find it a hassle to r/r
http://www.carcovershop.co.uk/Reveal-CarCovers.asp
Old 03-14-2017, 11:56 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I have a "Form Fit" cover that's very soft and a washable "Weather Tech" cover to go over the former. Works great. Easy to take on and off. When the Weather Tech cover gets dusty it gets washed.

Sorry about the crappy picture.
Attached Images  

Last edited by worf928; 03-14-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:11 PM
unkiemotorhead
Intermediate

tnx again for observations. I favor a soft indoor cover as well as a heat reflective light weight outside sun blocker, so I'll look into these further. Covercraft model is just too tight as explained when I started this, so I'm returning it. unkie
Old 03-14-2017, 05:38 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unkiemotorhead
... I favor a soft indoor cover as well as a heat reflective light weight outside sun blocker, so I'll look into these further. Covercraft model is just too tight as explained when I started this, so I'm returning it.
The cover shown in your picture is a outdoor(-capable) cover and must be tight, otherwise wind will sand your paint.

The 'form fit' cover I have has some lycra content and feels like stretchy velvet. Very soft. Form-fitting but stretches with little effort. It is for indoor use *only*.

The Weather Tech cover is very light weight, has very good UV, water protection etc. But, it is not soft.

All covers you order will originate with Covercraft regardless of what company you order it from.

I get mine from Griots. Yes, they are more expensive than other places but their customer service is worth the extra $.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:59 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian M
Hi Guys, have you had any issues with the cover marking the paint? I know the car must be clean before the cover goes on but wondered if it still caused any marring issues. Thanks.
No problems, but 1) I only use it on a clean car; and 2) I don't use it all that often. The clean car is a must. If it's a bit dusty, get out your spray detailer and microfiber towels and wipe it down first. I use Meguiars ultimate waterless wash instead of detail spray.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Need4S
No problems, but 1) I only use it on a clean car; and 2) I don't use it all that often. The clean car is a must. If it's a bit dusty, get out your spray detailer and microfiber towels and wipe it down first. I use Meguiars ultimate waterless wash instead of detail spray.
Yup.

Not only must the car be clean, but so must the cover. If you put a cover on a dusty or dirty car you will transfer some of the dust/dirt to the cover. At that point, the dirt on the inside of the cover is exactly like sand paper.

Covers are good for storage. Our non-winter cars get covered over the winter after a thorough detailing. Covers are not good for day-to-day use. The covers will get dirty even if you wash your car every time.

Last but not least, if cars are covered outside, the covers must be fit tight and cabled so that they don't flap. Even so, dust will work its way between the car and cover after while(*) such that the cover will need to be washed when it comes off.

(*) a While could be a couple of weeks or a couple of months depending upon all the variable factors of wind, rain, wind-born dust, humidity, cover type, yada, yada.

If it's not obvious, I have a lot of experience with covers over the last 20 years. Right now I have about 20 of them. For a couple of years - before The Garage Build many years ago - my '91 was covered outside during winters.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:04 AM
unkiemotorhead
Intermediate

thanks for this! unkie
Old 03-17-2017, 09:11 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 PM
unkiemotorhead
Intermediate

Yeah, just not quite rubber-band tight. That's how the other dozen such covers I have fit. I have one on its way from Suncaost and will report back. tnx! unkie

Quick Reply: Car Cover Successes?