js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

fast daily vs rough daily
Old 03-12-2017, 11:18 AM
Tom Truong
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was submitting in this thread area because I assume a lot of TT/S have driven in the gt3 one point in time. I love the TT but seeing which car people prefer and why? If I can get a manual than I'm going with the GT3 and than get a TT down the road for the PDK

why settle
Old 03-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Get a new manual 718 Boxster S and a used TTS later. On the street the 718S is really enjoyable, and GT3 is simply just for show.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:01 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Some background here: My first 911 was a 996, and I decided to get an auto transmission (PDK wasn't available then) -- the dealer required a $5K non-refundable deposit because apparently I was the only one on earth who wanted an automatic. The 996 was OK, but nothing compared with the current line up. I am now driving a 991.2 Turbo -- and it's amazing -- every time I get into the drivers seat, start her up, it seems special. It's super fast -- everyone wants to race me, and it's no contest. Yet, it's very comfortable -- doesn't jar you -- great daily driver, and again, it's special. I don't go to the track, not a racer -- except at the traffic light to entertain the challengers. Haven't driven a GT3 but would think that the suspension is tighter -- a little (or a lot) rougher on the body. Depends what you want, and your expectations. And if you want a manual, you can't get a Turbo or a Turbo S. When I picked up mine, my wife was very happy, as she was expecting a rough and tumble sports car, but it's not -- it's much more refined -- great ride with very high performance -- power and handling. It fits my needs perfectly -- best of all worlds IMO. And what's with the manual -- we have computers these days that can shift better and faster than you can. I love my Turbo.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,728 Likes on 4,761 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Truong
I was submitting in this thread area because I assume a lot of TT/S have driven in the gt3 one point in time. I love the TT but seeing which car people prefer and why? If I can get a manual than I'm going with the GT3 and than get a TT down the road for the PDK

why settle
There are probably as many, if not more, GT3 owners who also own (or have owned) a 991.1 TT/TTS.

In fact, I would venture to guess that many TT/TTS have not only not driven a GT3, but have no interest in doing so.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:29 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Test drive someones 991.1 GT3. Sound, 9K pdk -s tranny will be very close to a 991.2 GT3 cosmetic changes with more downforce and different crankshaft, oiling system are the main new GT3 items.
I had a 2015 GT3 for 2 years, traded it in for a 2015 TTS. really different feel; low end torque, 50-70mph in a blink of an eye and quiet in stock form.
For the track I have a GT4 with rollbar and 6 pt harnesses, full buckets. Good weekender. Manual only. Heel toe manually or with the computer (your choice)

If you need a manual then GT3 991.2, as others have said. Oh, and my wife has a 2005 manual Boxster but i rarely get to drive it. LOL
Old 03-13-2017, 05:29 AM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

A few weeks ago after a spirited canyon drive in TTS I stopped at my Porsche dealer and drove the 991GT3. I will say when you go back to back you see the differenced in the two cars.

TTS - very fast, does everything well, sounds great with my sharkwerks exhast

GT3 - stiffer...alot stiffer, not as fast off the line as TTS, handling a little sharper but not much.

I am a turbo guy so I am pretty biased but its not even close for me. Even if I was going to the track a few times a year the TTS is the overall winner for me. Lastly, ran hard with a 918 spyder yesterday and the TTS did real well. The 991TTS is one of the greatest cars I have ever owned.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:10 AM
changster123
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

The GT3's strength is its 1) endurance at the track and 2) its corner capabilities at the track. The corners you see on the street will NEVER be like a corner on the track. The corners at the track have much sharper turns, and you are in the turn for much much longer. It's hard to get the benefits of the GT3 on the street.

Pick your poison.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Dane17
Track Day

When I got my first tts I wasn't planning on it being a daily driver. That changed the first week. I would lean toward the tts for this reason. It really is an amazing all around car whereas the gt3 is ore of a niche vehicle.

Whatever you buy will make you smile every time you get in it.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Tom Truong
Intermediate

I would love to make either car a DD but my profession I have to keep it low key. either car I won't be putting too many miles each year since it is a car that would go to the golf course or picking up some milk from the grocery store. When I drive the car I just want to have a wonderful driving experience and want to be in a machine that reminds me success is a big hassle that is worth it in the end.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:20 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

I would love to make either car a DD but my profession I have to keep it low key. either car I won't be putting too many miles each year since it is a car that would go to the golf course or picking up some milk from the grocery store. When I drive the car I just want to have a wonderful driving experience and want to be in a machine that reminds me success is a big hassle that is worth it in the end.
There is nothing low key about a GT3.

TTS will look like any other 911 shaped thing to most civilians.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Tom Truong
Intermediate

LOL, that is why I can't drive a Porsche to work, however, around town my hope is to get a PTS: Viper green and be flashy ( tinted windows of course)
Old 03-18-2017, 11:26 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
Default TT

No contest. Unless you want to do a lot of track then get the turbo. Even if you do a lot of track, I'd still do turbo!

agree though, bring back a manual TT!!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:16 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

LOL, that is why I can't drive a Porsche to work, however, around town my hope is to get a PTS: Viper green and be flashy ( tinted windows of course)
Haha. Don't worry about tinted windows. For 2 years I daily drove a Guards Red GT3 with permanent track numbers AND logos of my company on doors, which is even "worse" than having my name on it. Nothing happened. Ever. I was slightly worried initially about a sh!tstorm on twitter or angry emails from butthurt drivers of lesser cars but nothing like that. Probably 1-2 thumbs up per week and someone egging me to race a couple times a month (never successfully, of course), and neighbors' kids offering to wash my car for free (never successfully, of course).

So now I'm getting a Turbo S, and it's going to be one of the brightest out there.

In fact, my theory is this car needs to be bright so that people see it on the road and act more cautiously around it. My black M3 got rear-ended and the other driver's explanation was "I just did not notice your car there." Oh, and loud exhaust is a safety feature to warn deer when driving on back roads.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Tom Truong
Intermediate

Max thumbs up! if I can't get a PTS than going with carmine red and not go with tinted windows.
anyone know where I can find a viper green TTS for sale?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do? .2 gt3 or 991.2 TTS