Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

replacement tires TTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:31 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Most dealers are a rip-off, they wanted $399.00 for an oil change...
Old 03-17-2017, 07:48 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
$280 is about what Porsche dealer charges - I paid $65 per wheel at two different dealerships for CLs on my GT3. Too expensive still. I normally do it at independent tire shops for $25-40 per wheel (on the lower end, I take wheels off myself, though).
In the end I didn't get the alignment. Having that done at a different Porsche dealer on Monday since these guys ran out of time, and if I'm going back I may as well go to the other dealer who is $100 less on alignments.

However my local Porsche dealer sold me tires for same price as Tires Rack and mounted and balanced all 4 center lock wheels for just $80. I'm a happy camper!

Initial impressions - they feel a LOT more grippy. Bear in mind my Pirellis were at 4/32 tread remaining so they weren't worn out. These just seem to have a lot more grip.

In addition they are a lot quieter. The reduction in tire noise is awesome because now I can hear the exhaust better.

Very glad I went with the Michelin PS4S.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:51 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edmac
Why do they charge extra for ACC? Is it a more complex install?
I have never understood this. However it is $150 more for cars with ACC regardless of which dealer you go too. They have to align the wheels with the eye as well as with each other. Not sure exactly how this works - wouldn't surprise me if Porsche made it up.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
You think a 4 wheel alignment is needed?
Short answer: no. Unless it's already out in which case the wheels/tires still don't matter.

Longer Answer: If you are making dramatic changes in tire width, then adjusting camber to spec may be called for. But, toe and caster aren't going to change with new tires.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:01 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Short answer: no. Unless it's already out in which case the wheels/tires still don't matter.

Longer Answer: If you are making dramatic changes in tire width, then adjusting camber to spec may be called for. But, toe and caster aren't going to change with new tires.
Yup that was my thinking as well. Same size tires so why bother unless it starts to show up as an issue.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porsche42
Yup that was my thinking as well. Same size tires so why bother unless it starts to show up as an issue.
Well I took my car into the other local Porsche dealer this morning for an alignment. I'm glad I did it.

Front alignment was off by 0.15 degree. I wasn't surprised because I felt it wasn't perfect but I was wondering how this could happen given I had my alignment in August. Service advisor thinks it is all the speed bumps and potholes around here. He recommends an alignment every year. I agree with him because I see the same thing with our Mercedes.

If I lived somewhere like Orange County I probably wouldn't need annual alignments but In Atlanta it makes sense.

If I was you I would definitely do an alignment with a new set of tires if you haven't done it before.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:54 AM
hands-on
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my car as a daily driver and it gets cold but rarely snows so I got 19" wheels and continental DWS all season tires.

Quick Reply: replacement tires TTS