Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Net Worth

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:39 AM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the opportunity cost of the resources used for the turbo meaningfully moves the needle on your personal financial statement, think twice. Cars are fun to drive, but compounding dividends are really, really fun to watch.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree with Houndstooth.

Last edited by Lance 4c; 03-31-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:26 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

CPO cars are always a good choice. I picked up a 991.1 C4 CPO and while I wanted a turbo, I quickly realized that the C4 is plenty of power of public road use. I picked up my car for just under 65k and to me I cannot justify an additional 50 grand to get a CPO Turbo. Let alone going 3x what I paid to get a new turbo.

I agree the power delta is amazing and you get so many things standard out of the box that are better then whats in my cars equipment level. I just feel like that extra is really not usable in public. On race tracks, drag strips, yes all day. My car is a DD and I have put 7000 miles on since I got it in October.(47k miles in total) Miles are going to slow down significantly now that I am on projects that require me to travel by plane. Though my wife is plotting to swipe it while I am away.

Either way at the end of the day, I would rather commit that extra cash I didn't commit to a new (or used) turbo to investing and making sure I can buy more of these fantastic toys later in life. Compounding interest is one of the most powerful forces in the world and I would rather have that work for me, instead of working for it.

Side note, Bentley's have comical levels (Rolls Royce too) of depreciation. Rates can be as high as 15 dollars a mile. When you're buying those new you really have money to light on fire. Used, great buy all day.

Quick Reply: Net Worth