Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Ceramic paint coating

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:30 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

If you think it lasts for 2 years, then go for it. It didn't for me. I guess that's my message: just have the right expectations, don't overpay, and you will get from it whatever you think you get.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:17 AM
MS7044
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I use xpel in the US. Some spots in Asia it's not a readily available option due to lack of trained installers. Ceramic pro in heavy coats (10-12 takes 5-6 days) is a good option and has good results. The shop I've seen has a special bay for ceramic pro that while not a kiln is filled with high intensity lights to "bake" the coating on. I have not heard complaints but even at this extreme (cost about 3k usd) you get about 30 months and it's starts needing more coats but often the upkeep charges are quite low. This time frame is salt air plus heavy pollution so life should be longer in friendly environments.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Good info. Thanks. I believe that my detailer uses the one stage approach for what he calls the 5-year coating. He did mention that it can scratch. The multi-layer approach is what he calls the lifetime coating. We also discussed having the wheels coated, but I haven't decided on that yet. I may do it when I buy new wheels this spring.
I think whether to go with this or not boils down to price. However since it can be scratched, and the way to fix light tarnishing is to polish and recoat, you should not buy into the 5 year lifespan.

My perspective is that this is the best coating on the market
http://opticoat.com/page/opti-coat-pro-plus

However this one is also quite expensive to apply.

This one is much quicker to apply and also lasts a long time.
http://www.optimumcarcare.com/ocoat1.php?li=10
Old 01-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

I need to confirm prices with my detailer. My appointment is tomorrow. As I recall, the coating with a 5-year guarantee was ~$500. The coating with the lifetime guarantee was ~$1,200+.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I just dropped my car off at the detailer. I had a great discussion with him about the points that were brought up in this thread. I decided to go with the lifetime guarantee product for $1,000. This price includes the full detailing, paint correction, polishing and prep for the ceramic coating. Also included in this price is a lifetime of reapplication of the ceramic product as necessary. My detailer estimates that it will need new applications every couple of years. I have to pay for polishing prior to the additional applications if necessary. I'm pleased with this decision and really looking forward to seeing how the car comes out. I'll post some pics when I pick it up later this week.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:06 PM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys, there is alot of good feedback here. Being an installer for many years and hearing feedback from both sides I think I can clear up some confusion and set some expectations. Things can easily be misunderstood or oversold in this industry and thus lead to some underwhelming or upset coating recipients.

Coatings have been around for several years now, the market has become quite saturated with options and many installers are doing what they can to put their product above others. Regardless of which coating line you chose, the most important aspect is finding the RIGHT INSTALLER.

I made a detailed thread on the importance of this and finding the right clear bra installer here: Protecting Your Investment With Clear Bra

But the same applies for your nano coating, paint coating, ceramic coating etc. of choice. The right installer will take the time to EDUCATE you on the pluses and minuses of these technologies, the performance you shall expect, and how to properly maintain and enjoy the coating.

This stuff isn't rocket science, the premise behind the coatings are simple. Its an Inorganic compound which is designed to bond to painted surfaces and form a protective layer. The difference between this and wax is that when properly installed, the inorganic coating will not oxidize, or "wear" away like a normal wax or sealant may. These coatings only "wear" over time due to mechanical abrasion like polishing or repeated abuse.

What this means is that you will see increased gloss, increased water and dirt repellency, increased protection against light abrasion, increased slickness, increased peace of mind vs. a non coated or traditionally protected surface.

What this DOESNT mean, is that it is a "set it and forget it solution". That once its applied it is a bulletproof layer than resists all scratches, never gets dirty and will last forever.

Finding the right shop, that provides a very high quality detail, and coating service will mean you see protection and performance that will last for years. IF your experience was less than this, then I suggest looking into the installer whom performed this service instead of the technology itself.

Hope that helps! Happy to answer questions below.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:42 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

You were right in that the expectation that it can make a car dirtproof, scratchproof, bulletproof, and dingproof is the problem. I think many/most get that expectation when an installer is trying to talk them out of $1000-1500 for the application of any surface treatment. The logic of a buffed on product being "ceramic" like a kiln fired finish is impossible, and intentionally misleading. Some are asking for amounts that are nearly half the cost of Xpel clear bra, and passing the unspoken allusion that it's nearly half as good.

OK, it does not oxidize like wax because it's inorganic. But it if relies on similar surface tension, even if it's a slightly stronger version due to it's chemical makeup or electromechanical bond, then washing it is going to wear it off fairly quickly. For me, that was 4-5 months with about bi-weekly hand washes. That's great compared to wax, which lasts about 3 months. However, for the cost, it's not such a great bargain to me.

If you believe it will do something beyond logic, then you are primed to believe it actually did. If you are skeptical, then you will probably see that it cannot possibly meet the inferred claims.

On the other hand, I would NEVER attempt to install clear bra. That stuff is actually amazing, and worth every penny a good installer wants.

- OK, this is just my opinion. I am not suggesting that I'm the final arbiter on this subject. I'm just touchy when I say it's snake oil, and somebody says "no, you just didn't pay the right installer enough money"
Old 01-24-2017, 12:28 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

If the coating failed after 5 months of bi-weekly washes, someone did not install it properly. Even when abused, a coating should last beyond 5 months.

Last week I worked on a new Audi S6 with 9xx miles on it that had supposedly been coated. It acted 100% flat and I do not believe the shop that did the work decontaminated after correction and before coating. The coating never bonded with the clear coat and it literally washed away.

Coatings are not for everyone. Not everyone likes them. Not saying you should like them. But any coating that fails after 5 months is a problem and not acceptable. It would be similar to getting a lemon from Porsche. Not a common thing but it doesn't mean Porsche makes bad cars.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Can somebody give me examples of how you would "abuse" the coating? Maybe that's the definition that needs to be spelled out.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:34 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Can somebody give me examples of how you would "abuse" the coating? Maybe that's the definition that needs to be spelled out.
I do not mean to say you abused your car. I believe the issue is very unlikely abuse and more likely that an installer did not do the work right.

But to answer your question. Taking a car through an automatic swirlomatic wash, using dirty wash/dry media, overly harsh chemicals, etc. ...that would be considered abuse.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:38 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Another possibility is contaminates bonding to a coating. I made a short video describing this concern as well as some misinformation about coatings in this video:

Last edited by Detailed Designs; 01-24-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I just picked up the car. It looks fantastic. I had a little miscommunication with the detailer, and the paint protection film was not installed. I may still have that done later. The paint correction and repair of minor chips came out great. I'm looking forward to seeing how it wears.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Ceramic paint coating