Sponsored by: Road Spy

Convince me to get a TTS or an R8

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:26 PM
whodatmofo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convince me to get a TTS or an R8

Title says it all. It was my dream to own a new TTS, that is until I saw and drove a 2017 R8 recently. Now, I'm not sure. One thing is that the TTS wouldn't stand out at among the thousands of Porsches in South Florida. It may be the better daily driver, however.

I need you guys to sway me to one side. I've also posted on r8talk to see what they say

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2017, 07:37 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

What do you want to use the car for?

I bought a turbo and love it, but I could have gone another way if our situation was different as both are great cars.

The 570, AMG GTR, RWD Huracan, and quite a few used exotics might also be worth considering depending upon what you want out of the car.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:38 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Buy both
Old 01-17-2017, 07:41 PM
whodatmofo
Track Day

Originally Posted by ace37

I bought a turbo and love it, but I could have gone another way if our situation was different as both are great cars.

The 570, AMG GTR, RWD Huracan, and quite a few used exotics might also be worth considering depending upon what you want out of the car.
I would like to use it as my daily driver but I have an M4 as a backup in case I find either to be impractical as a DD; basically, if it can DD, great, if not, no big deal at all.

I find the interior of the 570 to be horrible looking, so I ruled it out. I also don't like the styling much.

The AMG GTR would be an absolute monster, and an absolute dream, but I'd have to wait for a 2019 as the 2018's are already sold out.

Huracan attracts too much attention for my liking.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-17-2017, 07:42 PM
whodatmofo
Track Day

Originally Posted by ace37

And what situation are you speaking of that may have been different?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:00 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 49 Posts

Drive them both and get what stirs your soul. It's your money.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:08 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by whodatmofo
And what situation are you speaking of that may have been different?
If you're going to keep the M4 I'd go for the R8.

For me:
1. I wanted to daily drive the car.
2. I wanted the engine behind me.
3. We have a kid so four seats would mean the car gets a great deal more use - strongly preferred.

Other factors:
1. Winter capable in Utah, so I don't have to park it half the year under a cover - just drive it on the nice days
2. I live at altitude so turbo makes more sense than usual
3. While now I probably won't track it as I'll get a race car, originally I wanted a track (DE) capable car
4. The 911 turbo, a V12 Aston, and a mid-engined Ferrari are my car bucket list. That said, it's a short list and I have plenty of time for detours.
5. Background: my wife has her own daily (a purple Mini Cooper) and we share a family Range Rover Sport. She might replace the Mini with a Tesla in a year or two.

So my thinking was:
570 - no dealership network is an issue, no winter
Huracan - not a daily
AMG - front engine and wanted a change, maybe another time
Used 458 - not a daily, still compelling
R8 - strongest contender. Reviews said the 911 was a better driver and package but the R8 engine was enough to consider the car anyway. Never drove one.

Went with the 911 as the rear seats are a big plus and the R8 wasn't a bucket list car for me but the 911 was.

If I had another sports car I'd have given a lot of thought to adding one of the last of the Aston V12 Vantages with a manual transmission. There are better cars but that one would seem special to me anyway.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:39 PM
nache
Track Day

I`ve owned both..& the Porsche is a far better car.However as was said...drive both & then select.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:40 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,203 Likes on 2,715 Posts

Title says it all. It was my dream to own a new TTS, that is until I saw and drove a 2017 R8 recently. Now, I'm not sure. One thing is that the TTS wouldn't stand out at among the thousands of Porsches in South Florida. It may be the better daily driver, however.

I need you guys to sway me to one side. I've also posted on r8talk to see what they say

Thanks!

The TTS is incredibly practical and amazingly usable for how incredibly powerful it is.

I personally need four seats and I did not want to drive something that was too extroverted. So the Turbo made sense for me. But beyond that, I love the car. It's a bucket list thing, like ace37 said. I've dreamed about the 911 Turbo since I was 5 years old. So there is that. The R8 does nothing for me, so I didn't consider it. But it's a fantastic car - there is no doubt.

"The heart wants what it wants - or else it does not care." There is no point in trying to be logical about a $200k sports car. Get the one that stirs you. Stuff like this is an emotional choice.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

NA v. FI

Mid-engine v. Rear-engine

Engine jewelry v. Nothing to see

The roar of the V10 v. The wheeze of the boxer 6

Updated interior and tech v. Dated interior

All that said, the TTS is an amazingly practical car that flies completely under the radar. The R8 is definitely more of an "event" and if the Lambo turned you off in that respect, the R8 may as well.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:01 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,203 Likes on 2,715 Posts

^^ I'd agree that the R8 is going to garner similar amount of attention, though the Lamborghini will always be the winner of that game.

Huracan is a much better looking car though. If you are getting a peacock - get the best looking one, I'd say.

Everything about the TTS is conservative and it flies under the radar. But that's largely the purpose of the car. No one would ever guess it costs as much as it does or is as fast as it is.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:04 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

hard decision! i just bought both. R8 Refined, TTS brutal , mine has the GIAC STAGE 3 650 whp
Old 01-19-2017, 12:48 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks!
Quite frankly I wouldn't want a moron like you owning a TTS. I'd rather my fellow TTS owners be car exhausts than an idiot whose concern is image and who try to validate his purchase decisions with random strangers on the internet.

FWIW I bought a TTS because I test drove a bunch of sports cars and this was the best.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:19 PM
whodatmofo
Track Day

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Quite frankly I wouldn't want a moron like you owning a TTS. I'd rather my fellow TTS owners be car exhausts than an idiot whose concern is image and who try to validate his purchase decisions with random strangers on the internet.

FWIW I bought a TTS because I test drove a bunch of sports cars and this was the best.
Look at this dumb ***, acting like HE gets to decide who buys what. You can go *** yourself.

As for everyone else, I sincerely appreciate all of your input; I'm leaning R8 right now but have scheduled test drives for both and report back.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:29 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Can't go wrong either way, both are great cars. When I bought my TTS, R8's still had single clutch gearbox, but it was never in question that I'd end up with the Porsche. Don't regret it a bit. No mechanical problems... just works, although I'm sure the Audi is solid as well.

Quick Reply: Convince me to get a TTS or an R8