Moving from 997.1 TT cabriolet to 991.1 TTS cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts
Default Moving from 997.1 TT cabriolet to 991.1 TTS cabriolet

Hello everyone. I'm seriously considering moving up to a 991.1 TTS. For those of you who have made the move, what were the biggest improvements in your opinion? Any regrets?

I rented a 991.1 C4S cabriolet for a week and drove it around Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. It was a great car. I've driven a 991.1 GT3 on the track for a few laps. It was also awesome.

I feel like I might miss the 6MT in my 997 a little bit, but I'm not too concerned about that. Is the exhaust note in the stock 991 turbo better than it is in the 997 turbo?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:27 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

I went from a 997 TT cab to a 991TTS coupe and very happy I did. The 991 is a far more refined GT cruiser which as I seem to get older, is appreciated . I do like the PDK for no other reason that the majority of my driving with the car seems to be urban..and purely functional - going to work - errands.....you know transportation with little time or appetite for heel and toe. The biggest difference for me was how much more 'planted' the 991TTS feels over the 997TT. I always felt the front end on my 997 was "light" for lack of a better expression and just not ideal where they have solved that on the 991TTS. I love the dimensions on the new car and staring at those hips in the rear view mirror or when walking up to it at a parking lot. The interior is so much nicer than the old car with dash/ door details that suit the price point and the 18 ways seats are very comfortable. WRT exhaust note, both cars are equally ordinary. I did put a BBI pipe on my 997 which I ended up swapping out after sixty days back to the OEM exhaust so I appreciate your perspective. I don't have the nerve to swap out the exhaust on my new car...and besides it's a lot of dough. To your point, I did order the sport exhaust on my wife's incoming Targa 4S which sounds awesome. I do wish they had that option on the order sheet when I built my TTS.

You will not regret the trade IMHO and well worth the delta in cost.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:45 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate that. I also appreciate a more refined GT car as I get older. I'm not buying a car for the race track; I'm buying a car more for cruises through the mountains with the top down. Glad to hear you like the other improvements too. It's interesting to me that so many people complain about the 991 cars being huge compared to the 997 cars. When I look at the technical specs and dimensions, it's not really much bigger at all.

We'll see if I'm able to work out a deal on a 991 this week.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:46 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your comments on the exhaust too. One of the common complaints about the 997 turbo is the fact that it's too quiet. I was hoping that had been addressed in the 991 turbo. I like the overrun gurgles and pops in the normally aspirated 991 cars and I was hoping that the turbo had a little bit of that.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 AM
derf
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate that. I also appreciate a more refined GT car as I get older. I'm not buying a car for the race track; I'm buying a car more for cruises through the mountains with the top down. Glad to hear you like the other improvements too. It's interesting to me that so many people complain about the 991 cars being huge compared to the 997 cars. When I look at the technical specs and dimensions, it's not really much bigger at all.

We'll see if I'm able to work out a deal on a 991 this week.
Had the 997.2 cab and went to 991.1 TTS. No comparison in my eyes. Like the 991 more in every way.

Last edited by derf; 10-31-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:29 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Pretty sure you will appreciate all the 991 platform has to offer by way of refinement and improvements.
As far as the stock exhaust, I found it lacking intensity from the get-go. In my case swapping out the stock exhaust for something AM, in my case a Sharkwerks product, was fairly simple and not that expensive, but brought an element of sound I was missing. I'm not shilling for any one exhaust product, it's purely subjective and there are many to chose from!
Good luck!

Old 10-31-2016, 01:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. I've gone back and forth with the thought of upgrading the exhaust on my 997 turbo. It does not sound as good as my normally aspirated 996 did. That being said, it doesn't sound bad, especially when the revs get up into the fun range. I suspect the 991 TTS will be the same way. My plan is to drive it for a while before changing anything, so I get to know what I like and what I don't. The only thing that I'm considering doing immediately is a Smart Top module for better functionality of the cabriolet top, and perhaps clear side markers.

Quick Reply: Moving from 997.1 TT cabriolet to 991.1 TTS cabriolet