Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tracking the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 05:05 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 97 Posts

Does anyone know the date number for the updated Pirelli.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:49 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
Does anyone know the date number for the updated Pirelli.
Is "new" in this case just the N1 spec tire?? That designation is molded on the tire and probably easier to deal with than the date codes. The PZero's I've had so far on my '14 car have all been N0 spec. I see Tire Rack has N1's in our "stock" sizes now...maybe that's a better choice than the MPSS which is in turn better than the N0 spec PZero's??
Old 07-04-2016, 12:07 AM
zerix
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are the new PZero's

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...el=P+Zero+(PZ4)
Old 07-04-2016, 03:44 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by zerix
Those are Ferrari spec.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:37 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by zerix
Here are the new PZero's
Originally Posted by Need4S
Those are Ferrari spec.

Here are the N1s

Lots of good options now. 6 pure street options and 5 DOTed R tires.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:19 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
So what are the numbers for the standard 991.2 Turbo? Big improvement on the 2-S times over 991.1, and would assume a similar increase on the 991.2-non-S, albeit a bit below the S. Is the suspension of the S/non S the same? From what I can determine so far it seems that the only difference between S/non S is larger ceramic brakes and larger turbos that account for the 40+ hp. Easy to get reliable 40hp with quality aftermarket tune.
Ken,
The other difference is the PDCC dynamic chassis control. S has it, non-S it is an available option. Had that on my 991CS and makes a big difference on chassis roll and dynamic weight management. Due to weight of the turbo, I have read this is essential for tracking it. It was great on the CS. When off the roll bars are soft and ride is compliant, when on they are full stiff and steering input to chassis response time shortens. Great for tight technical courses (Sebring, maybe not so much).

Also careful with the wheel options, the stock non-S wheels are a half in narrower than the CL or sport techno options. I would go with the 5 lug ST. Easier maintenance, more aftermarket options, easier to clean and as wide as the CL. Not sure about weight difference which would affect braking and acceleration.

All the little things add up especially when looking at Ring times as fractions of sections at each corner add up over so many corners to real seconds.

Carmen
Old 02-05-2017, 03:56 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

What tire pressures seem to work best on track?
Old 02-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

With some suspension mods and tires it is quite competitive.. An experienced driver on both cars will be in GT3 RS territory. Still too heavy though to be a serious track weapon. 991 Cup cars on slicks are 6-7 seconds ahead with similar drivers on a 3.6 mile track, wearing Pirelli Trofeos.

Add bigger turbos, a tune and exhaust and you can shave another 2 seconds probably. This is my personal experience, which might be different for others here.

Never mind those stickers

Originally Posted by Need4S
What tire pressures seem to work best on track?
Depends on many factors, suspension settings, tire brand, track temps etc.. but ballpark 30-34 hot for most tires is good.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Keep the hot psi just below 35 and you should be good.

To the original post, a little bit of trail braking goes a long way to eliminate any understeer issues, as well as setting front camber to -1.7 (rear -2.2), which is the max on the 991.2 TTS.

FWIW, the TTS with Cup2 tires and those camber settings will absolutely leave a well driven GT3 on track. I'm 100% sure of it.

Last edited by Randyc151; 02-06-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Keep the hot psi just below 35 and you should be good.

To the original post, a little bit of trail braking goes a long way to eliminate any understeer issues, as well as setting front camber to -1.7 (rear -2.2), which is the max on the 991.2 TTS.

FWIW, the TTS with Cup2 tires and those camber settings will absolutely leave a well driven GT3 on track. I'm 100% sure of it.
Very useful info

Concerning negative camber - do you notice any excess tire wear or other issues with this setup in daily use (not at the track)?
I suppose turn-in will be a little sharper as well.

Did you alter toe in/out also?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordic Flyer
Very useful info

Concerning negative camber - do you notice any excess tire wear or other issues with this setup in daily use (not at the track)?
I suppose turn-in will be a little sharper as well.

Did you alter toe in/out also?
I don't put a lot of miles on the car anyway, and that's fairly mild camber. If you do mostly DD, then I'd just take it to the shop and have it set up for track before you DE, then change it back later. It's going to cost a few hundo to do that, but might save some tire wear on the Cup2. I don't change toe, except if it needs adjustment as part of the balancing after the camber change.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:30 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Getting Prepped

Can't wait, things getting installed now. Keeping street ride but sport mode will be much better. Black/black with OEM powder coated extra wheels and a couple sets of Trofeos, Pagids to go with the ceramics, widened front end, lots camber all around. The DSC for suspension control and improvement. A little sound to bring some life to things too. More when I get to sort it out.

Last edited by nolimits; 03-07-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:30 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
Can't wait, things getting installed now. Keeping street ride but sport mode will be much better. Black/black with OEM powder coated extra wheels and a couple sets of Trofeos, Pagids to go with the ceramics, widened front end, lots camber all around. The DSC for suspension control and improvement. A little sound to bring some life to things too. More when I get to sort it out.

Looks very similar to what I want to do. Please write more about what's in the "package" and your impressions.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

Looks very similar to what I want to do. Please write more about what's in the "package" and your impressions.
991 TTS, goal is to maintain street ride but improve track ride without harshness. Firmer cornering, less brake dive and acceleration squat, better transient response, flexibility to tune and change configuration. Starting camber will be around 2.4 & 2.8. Widen front end and improve stick all around with the R's too. Also if you lower your car you will need to keep tie rod geometry correct. Equal or improved braking, but with less ceramic rotor wear. Should show rear views to new RS’s with ease given same driver skill set. Will provide impressions and results once we get some dry weather up here, and any sorting completed. Results will vary depending on configuration and how much deflection you leave. Check with your local shop for more on various approaches. I spoke with a lot of mod shops and race teams to come up with this. Kudos to them coming after results.

-Rennline mesh grille guards
-Pagid RSC1 pads
-AWE mirror wind deflectors
-Tarett : front camber plates, front lower control arms, axel spacer kit, shims, lower control arm spacers, rear long & medium upper control arms, boot ends.
-DSC V2 controller
-Sharkworks catback exhaust
-OEM wheels, powder coated, Trofeo Rs

Last edited by nolimits; 03-09-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:02 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
991 TTS, goal is to maintain street ride but improve track ride without harshness. Firmer cornering, less brake dive and acceleration squat, better transient response, flexibility to tune and change configuration. Starting camber will be around 2.4 & 2.8. Widen front end and improve stick all around with the R's too. Equal or improved braking, but with less ceramic rotor wear. Should show rear views to new RS’s with ease given same driver skill set. Will provide impressions and results once we get some dry weather up here, and any sorting completed. Results will vary depending on configuration and how much deflection you leave. Check with your local shop for more on various approaches. I spoke with a lot of mod shops and race teams to come up with this. Kudos to them coming after results.

-Rennline mesh grille guards
-Pagid RSC1 pads
-AWE mirror wind deflectors
-Tarett : front camber plates, front lower control arm, axel spacer kit, shims, lower control arm spacers, rear long & medium upper control arms, boot ends.
-DSC V2 controller
-Sharkworks catback exhaust
-OEM wheels, powder coated, Trofeo Rs
Sounds like a great kit. I'll probably see you at the track once I get mine (June ED, so late summer/September in Vancouver)

Quick Reply: Tracking the Turbo