Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

An Introduction/Confession

Old 06-17-2016, 11:00 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 49 Posts
Default An Introduction/Confession

Hello. I apologize in advance for this long post.

My name is Joe, and I am a Porscheholic. It’s taken me over a decade to summon the courage to type that sentence. It feels like a weight has been lifted.

It all started innocently enough. I was surfing the Autotrader listings in my area looking for a project. Then I found it. A 1986 Targa in Iris Blue. I drove into the city to look at the car, leaving my wife to handle the 3 year old and the 6 week old baby. I never meant to hurt anyone. A deal was struck, and I had to make that call that all addicts dread. “Honey, can you hop on the metro with the kids and come pick up the other car?” My wife’s response was terse, but not unexpected, “What other car? You’ve been gone for six hours! Where the heck are you? The kids have been screaming since the moment you left?” But like all spouses of an addict, she knew it was just best to get through the flare up and deal with the issue at hand. To this day, she regrets enabling me.

I poured blood, sweat and copious amounts of money into that Targa. I knew every square inch of that car and found myself making excuses to hide out in the garage to tinker with and fondle it. I knew I had a problem, but who was I hurting?

Then I found a new muse. A 2007 C4S in Lapis Blue. It was shiny and essentially brand new. What power. What gorgeous lines. And those hips. Pure sex. Who knew working AC could be so glorious?!? I swore I’d keep this car forever (like all addicts say…) Then it happened. While out to help coach my son’s lacrosse team, my wife and daughter decided they just had to go shoe shopping. The only car at home was the C4S. The first time my wife’s rear-end had ever blessed the driver’s seat of that car, and she proceeded to scrape the driver’s side on a planter just outside the garage. It’s not so much that the car was damaged, but it was damaged at another’s hand. Sadly, the car was now dead to me. I tried to love it again. I really did. The light had gone out.

Meanwhile, an intriguing new car from General Motors was being released to the world. The C7 Corvette Z06. I strayed. The price to performance ratio was remarkable. The power was unfathomable. And it could actually get around a corner. A deep, V-8 growl and all the smoky burnouts I could handle. I was 16 again. I was unprepared for the attention this car would garner. I spent that last year and a half trying to convince myself that I was okay being a Corvette owner.

In the meantime, I tried to soothe my soul with the new BMW M3. On paper, a great car. I just couldn’t connect with it. At full tilt, it was okay fun. But it was my commuter car, so driving 5 miles to the office at 9/10s was just getting silly. I needed a new fix.

I flirted with a 458 Italia (to appease the Guido in me). It is, in my opinion, one of the prettiest cars on the road. I was just really nervous to jump in with both feet. I know a lot of Italian women (mostly family). Enough said.

Which brings me to where I am today. I have re-entered the Porsche 911-step program. I have made amends for straying from my first, true love. Apologies were given. Tears shed. But I made it through to the other side. I just picked up my 2017 911 Turbo S in Graphite Blue (sensing a trend?) It is sublime. Endorphins are exploding in my brain. Every blip of the throttle, a new rush. I am home again. I’m sure I will have this car forever. Or until a GT3 RS makes itself available to me! (photos to follow)

That is my story. I am truly blessed. I hope you can accept me for who I am.

My name is Joe, and I’m a Porscheholic.

*This post is meant in good fun and in no way is intended to minimize addiction of any sort.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:09 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Nothing wrong with C7Zs, I had two of them and loved them both.

And nothing wrong with liking both the TTS and the RS.

All this is completely normal, I'm sure we can quit any time if we wanted to.

Congrats!
Old 06-17-2016, 11:53 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You've come to the right place.

Pics or it never happened.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:14 AM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Here is a photo of the new car:
Name:  IMG_1618.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  420.9 KB

Soulsea, I know you from the Z06 forum (JDC PDX). Always enjoyed your posts and take on life. I was only kidding about the Z. It was a great car, but this one is so much better!

Thank you,
Joe
Old 06-18-2016, 01:40 AM
theunitedstates
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

HAHA!! Love this post, Joe. Beautiful TTS, and the Z06 is a badass as well. Good choices.

I hope to get myself into a GT3 RS someday...only time will tell if I am lucky enough to get one.

Your story about the C4S reminds me slightly of my Yamaha R1. I have had multiple R1s, but I only fell on one of them...and I never trusted that bike again, so I had to get rid of her. It was night and day on my trust and bonding with my next R1 as I never could get over that initial fall on the previous one.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:21 AM
HassaanAbdeen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Love your story... love your taste.

Yes mashallah, what a car!!!

Enjoy your toys in good health with long safe miles.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:07 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Nice intro! Well-written.

Z06 is great. Have one. Track car. It's a Timex: takes a lickin'...
Old 06-18-2016, 09:08 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Love the Avatar.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:28 AM
I'mAllIn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stunning!!

Good read, made me laugh! Love it. Enjoy in great health!
Old 06-18-2016, 10:33 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice car :-). Enjoy
Old 06-18-2016, 10:42 AM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Thanks all!

Is it weird that I slept in it last night?
Old 06-18-2016, 11:03 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

funny! and i sympathize!

just drove my c7 z06 at track yesterday back to back to back with 991 gt3 rs and gt4

z06 is a blunt instrument in comparison to the porsches... but damn is it fun!!!!!!!.... soooo easy to drive sooooo fast

big american iron at its very best

enjoy your tt - beautiful car!

welcome and cheers
Old 06-18-2016, 02:51 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

I never owned a PORSCHE until I bought my 2014 TTS.
I am now a full blown addict. My TTS was 2 years old last week.
I have 42K miles on it and around 45 track days. I have not had one mechanical issue with it. Replaced PCCB rotors , wheel hubs, brake pads, countless tires.
I will know how bad my addiction is next week. I am doing EURO Delivery of a new R8 V10 + next week

LOVE your Post
Old 06-18-2016, 02:59 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 172 Posts

more pics of the Graphite Blue, up close please

that is one special color

Is this the first year it's been offered?

stunning car btw
Old 06-18-2016, 03:16 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Me too! Fantastic car and color.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: An Introduction/Confession