Sponsored by: Road Spy

Daily Driver Decision

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 10:44 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daily Driver Decision

Hi, I am new to the 991 turbo forum. I previously had a 997 C2 which I absolutely loved but ended up selling it to go to a Audi r8.

Long story short, I am looking for a new daily driver around town, road trips, any weather type of car(located in Chicago). I love like it to be comfortable for long distances, my carrera would give me back pain in about 30mins.

I currently own a Range Rover Sport which I use daily, but its bulky and not the most fun to drive(boring), very comfortable though in all conditions though. I also own a ferrari 458 which is a riot but not a dialy driver by any means, too much attention and you can't drive the thing when its under 50 degrees.

Current cars I am looking at are the 991 Turbo/Turbo S, Carrera 4s, Bmw i8, and Bmw M4. How usable comfortable is the Turbo/Turbo S, anyone take it on long journeys? I'm looking to put some miles on this thing and keep it for a long time. Anyone have expirence with the BMW i8? I know it doesn't compare with performance but seems like a pretty cool car and its AWD. Bmw m4 is the budget daily but not awd.

Thanks, your help is appreciated.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,786 Likes on 4,775 Posts

If I had the funds for a 150k+ car as a daily driver, it would most likely be a TT/TTS.

It's luxurious, comfortable, compliant, and wicked fast when you want/need it to be. It's gorgeous to look at (love those hips), but not over-the-top look at me like a Lambo or Ferrari. The general reliability and overall vast Porsche dealership network is the cherry on top.

I've driven the i8. Fine car, but those scissor doors make it a very poor daily driver as finding parking that makes ingress/egress easy is nearly impossible in most urban or suburban parking lots. Plus, right now, it's too much of an attention *****, and for me, it makes me feel like a character out of Tron.

If you have the funds, the TT or TTS is a near no-brainer. The second might be the C4S.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:00 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I daily drive my TT except in Salt Season. Or, to be precise, since I've had it for less than 6 months, I have daily-driven it and will be putting it away before the roads get salted.

It's a great DD. It makes me slightly angry to have to drive anything else in the DD category.

That said, you will need to determine if either of the two available seat architectures works for you. If your previous back-pain-inducing 911 had the standard seat architecture you'll need to try out Sport Seats+ or the 18-way Sport Seats+ to see if the '+' architecture works. Or the reverse if your old 911 had the "+" seats (they haven't changed between 991 and 997.)
Old 11-09-2015, 11:12 PM
strumbringer
Instructor

If you ignore the cost, I'd say the 991TT is far and away the best choice on your list. I DD my 991TT (except a couple days when it was very cold and wet, since I haven't yet figured out what wheels/tires to use given that the weather here is ... odd). It has ruined me for any other car. The M4 is a great car, and a tad more practical (more room), but if you don't need the room and the cost isn't an option - 991TT all the way.

Originally Posted by islandtrader
Hi, I am new to the 991 turbo forum. I previously had a 997 C2 which I absolutely loved but ended up selling it to go to a Audi r8.

Long story short, I am looking for a new daily driver around town, road trips, any weather type of car(located in Chicago). I love like it to be comfortable for long distances, my carrera would give me back pain in about 30mins.

I currently own a Range Rover Sport which I use daily, but its bulky and not the most fun to drive(boring), very comfortable though in all conditions though. I also own a ferrari 458 which is a riot but not a dialy driver by any means, too much attention and you can't drive the thing when its under 50 degrees.

Current cars I am looking at are the 991 Turbo/Turbo S, Carrera 4s, Bmw i8, and Bmw M4. How usable comfortable is the Turbo/Turbo S, anyone take it on long journeys? I'm looking to put some miles on this thing and keep it for a long time. Anyone have expirence with the BMW i8? I know it doesn't compare with performance but seems like a pretty cool car and its AWD. Bmw m4 is the budget daily but not awd.

Thanks, your help is appreciated.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:19 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

I'll need to try out the seats, I had standard seats in the 997. I wonder if a dealer will let me take the car out for a 30 min ride, I just don't want to buy the car and then be disappointed that I cannot get comfortable in the seat. Any real life expirence with the Turbo in the snow/traffic/parking etc. I do not really need to haul anything(maybe a date), unmarried, no kids.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:25 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by islandtrader
I wonder if a dealer will let me take the car out for a 30 min ride, ...
Any dealer that won't let you drive _something_ with the 18-way seats for 30, 60, or 90 minutes on a ~$175k deal is a dealer you won't be buying from. Right?

That said, you could drive any 991 or even a 981 with various seats to get the feel for them.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:56 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Originally Posted by worf928
Any dealer that won't let you drive _something_ with the 18-way seats for 30, 60, or 90 minutes on a ~$175k deal is a dealer you won't be buying from. Right?

That said, you could drive any 991 or even a 981 with various seats to get the feel for them.
Some dealers are strange, some don't care. I drove my ferrari around for 45 mins. The lamborghini dealership told me to drive the new Huracan for 50 miles and don't come back until you have done so(I really didn't like it btw, its just ridiculous.) My local Porsche dealership is very hesitant doing too many test drives unless you are a repeat customer so I will have to figure it out.

Based on your guys comments I might have to go test drive one soon(kiss of death). I test drove a 911 CS before and then a M3 right after, it really spoiled me and I had the get the 911. This might be similar experience if I go back to back.

The ferrari forum also has the same claim, 911 turbo best gt on the road.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:36 AM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

I daily drive the 991 TTs as well.

In stock form the higher clearance, AWD, well thought out climate system, etc makes for a drama-free daily driver.

On the other hand, you get to daily drive a 2.5-second 0-60 car that seems to ignore added on miles and holds 2 kids. My 10k service just came and went for $250. The Burmester sound system is the best sounding and most entertaining system I've ever owned in a car (by a ways).

On the negative side, it's a relatively firm riding car on 305 rear tires. It wont be totally quiet and it wont be totally luxurious.

My experience taking it on an 8-day road trip around Oregon was that no matter how nice the car is that you are taking on a long road trip, it's still... a long road trip.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:24 AM
rolling porsche
Intermediate

I bought the TTS for daily use, and i have to drop off my kids to school before I go to work.
80-90 miles per day, and it fits me perfectly.
If you dont need the backseat, why not consider the new R8?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:19 AM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 991 TTS is by far the best DD around. It has everything I want and need in a DD - and plenty of room to boot. I loaded her up at Costco the other day with over $1,000 of of food and household items, and I still had room to go - LOL

Seats are incredibly comfortable and of course the car does everything I want. I added a ton or power by going to a Stage 3 setup - just perfect for a DD!

She won't see salt/ winter as I have other fun and more appropriate toys to drive in winter, but she will get driven a good 7 months / year. I have had her for 4 months and have done over 5k miles on her since new. The only issue with a DD like this is parking lots, where I'm constantly on the lookout for door dingers and morons who can't drive.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:22 AM
TheGhost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to hear how you liked your R8?

Another car in the same category would be the new NSX.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:59 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CTTS is a good daily driver. I have the RR Sport SC which I just upgraded to the 2015 model with lot's of lux addons and it's a great car but it is kind of trucky as has been pointed out elsewhere. For road trips it's fine but if you want something that handles and is comfy and luxurious in the long haul, the CTTS is it. Put an exhaust on it and it's all you really need. Now that my wife likes the RR and drives it more, I am driving the CTTS more than the 991tts. The CTTS is also an all weather car but I would not recommend black as your color choice unless you want the red/black interior but you could do a silver exterior with that instead and cleaning is no problem. Buying the new RRSC and adding a few more mods to the 991tts scratched my Ferrari itch, I now am no longer interested in having one. Especially seeing that the amount of driving that can be done is limited by logistics, gawkers, depreciation and just general lack of utility. My neighbor just starts his up and looks at it.

Last edited by wrs; 11-10-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

991TT is a great DD. I've taken it between San Francisco and Los Angeles in perfect comfort.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:52 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheGhost
I'm curious to hear how you liked your R8?

Another car in the same category would be the new NSX.
The R8 was quite good, good cruiser with good power. I didn't think it was built as well as a porsche and the entire car did seem to drive a little odd. It was a good split between Audi A8 and Audi TT.

I would say the technology of the car was outdated, hence they came out with a new here.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:33 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So far as a sports car goes the TTS is about as good as it gets as a DD in that category, and works really well for me given my build, size, and the way I drive. However it is hard to deny the better comfort of a CTT/S as being the better daily driver in general. If it came down to a longer trip i would take the CTT/S all day long though. It is quieter and more comfy yet has the power and all the creature comforts. Now, if your longer trips involve sporty driving with others, then the TTS is the weapon of choice, and sacrifices in comfort and road noise intrusion will need to be made.

Now if you already have a back problem, and are not of particularly slim frame/waist/build etc, and don't get "on it" at every given opportunity (which is what the TT/S is all about so far as I'm concerned , and the longer trips don't involve any degree of all out sporty driving then I would get a CTT/S.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver Decision