Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

RedGutz Battles It Out at DFC's Runway Event (Quarter Mile Drag Races)

Old 10-05-2015, 04:06 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RedGutz Battles It Out at DFC's Runway Event (Quarter Mile Drag Races)

Yesterday I spent the whole day doing quarter mile races at the driving force club's twice a year runway event in upstate New York.

The biggest news is that the horrific heat soak power loss I experienced at all of my speed events with the GIAC Stage two and stock intercoolers is gone! The champion intercoolers and the stage 2+ seem to have solved that issue completely. My trap speeds remained about the same throughout the day even though I ran for many hours without any cooling break at all other than the hour for lunch. In the runway event I ran in May my trap speeds fell by 6 mph after the first run. Cars that had torched mine at the runway event in May such as the Lamborghini Huracan were left in the dust this time by mine. Similarly I beat what is/was probably the fastest 911 in the club convincingly from a roll -- the custom tuned signal green 997.2 known as Bullslayer. I lost to him this time around from a dig in the early morning but I had serious traction issues with that my tires not being able to handle the power In the cold -- was pulling on his car the entire time that race but he got a huge lead from a dig while I spun tires for a while.

The car won most of the races she was in including beating a 950 hp turbo upgrade GTR, a E85 GTR, a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta (twice) and a Huracan (3 wins to one loss). She went 1 and 1 against a 997.2 TTS in the early morning -- won from a roll but lost from a dig (997.2 was using R888 r compound tires and hooked from a dig while I spun my wheels. Once I hooked I was pulling on him but he built up too much of a lead. Was ahead the entire race during the roll race).

Of most interest here the car won two out of three races against Cobb stage two tuned cars. The one race I lost to a Cobb car was of course the one the owner put up on YouTube and that occurred when I added a passenger and most importantly when my low fuel warning light came on. As I'm sure you know when that happens the ECU reduces power to prevent fuel starvation. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8330...ack-no-no.html

So yes a Cobb car beat me once when I was in limp home mode. The other two times when my low fuel warning light was not on I won.

My races with the Cobb cars were in the morning. After lunch I put up my go Pro cameras and set forth below are the videos from every single afternoon race I had.

1. RedGutz Defeats Stock 991 TTS Cab

2. RedGutz Defeats FBO GTR

3. RedGutz Defeats FBO GTR again

4. RedGutz Defeat Dodge Viper

5. RedGutz Defeats Gallardo Superleggera

6. RedGutz Defeats Audi R8 V10 Stasis Supercharged

7. RedGutz Defeats R8 V10 Stasis Supercharged from a Roll

8. RedGutz Defeats Huracan from a Dig

9. RedGutz Loses to Huracan from a Roll (he jumped)

10. RedGutz Defeats Huracan from a Roll (I jumped)

11. RedGutz Defeats FBO GTR from a Dig

12. RedGutz Defeats Gallardo

13. RedGutz Defeats FBO GTR

14. RedGutz Defeats FBO GTR again

15. RedGutz Defeats Ferrari F12 Berlinetta

http://youtu.be/aSbFkB6gvjo

16. RedGutz Defeats 716 bhp Renntech E63 S (M Slayer -- my daily driver (at 26 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S03WVvfce5c&sns=em

Last edited by sdg1871; 10-05-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:29 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Here is a comparative video of the Cobb stage 2 car that beat me when I was in a reduced power state (which I beat when making full power) and I racing the same stock 991 TTS cab. The Cobb car pulls away from the stock car slowly. I was making full power during that race (fuel status normal) and I obliterated the stock car.

Cobb Stage 2 vs Stock 991 TTS cab:

GIAC Stage 2 plus vs Stock 991 TTS cab

Old 10-05-2015, 07:45 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations on those wins SDG! The main thing is not just winning but mainly staying reliable throughout the day.

Btw, not having a dog in the GIAC COBB fight myself, I wonder what Cobb will say given all the recent fuss over which tune is best/fastest, but Im sure we will be hearing some more about your result in the not too distant future.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:04 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by speed21
Congratulations on those wins SDG! The main thing is not just winning but mainly staying reliable throughout the day.

Btw, not having a dog in the GIAC COBB fight myself, I wonder what Cobb will say given all the recent fuss over which tune is best/fastest, but Im sure we will be hearing some more about your result in the not too distant future.
The two Cobb cars I raced yesterday were fast. The two times I beat them were not by huge margins as with almost every other car there. I wished I had put the cameras on in the morning but racing has started in the morning and I had wanted to get on the runway already so I put them on after lunch.

At Atco I will record every run rather than just the afternoon as I did yesterday
Old 10-05-2015, 10:04 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't look like there was a hell of a lot between the stock tts cab and the stage 2 Giac car....in a physical sense at least. Whereas in the first vid yours certainly gained some distance on the stock car
Old 10-05-2015, 11:57 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I watched the first set of vids over my coffee this morning. The Lamborghini owners must be pissed and the GTR owners are, I assume, generating excuses.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:31 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by worf928
I watched the first set of vids over my coffee this morning. The Lamborghini owners must be pissed and the GTR owners are, I assume, generating excuses.
Actually the members in those cars whom the 991 turbos beat didn't. A modded 991 Turbo S is just faster than a Huracan in the quarter mile and is a good match for an FBO GTR. Before my stage 2 plus I lost to the Huracan and to GTRs in virtually all my races at the last runway event in May. This time my car went 3 for 4 against the Huracan and about 6-3 against the GTRs. Beat a 950 bhp GTR to the quarter although he was pulling on me hard at the end but he ran out of room to catch me. Split runs against an FBO GTR running E85 -- the one who got the jump won each time and went 3 or 4 against an FBO GTR running pump gas.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Doesn't look like there was a hell of a lot between the stock tts cab and the stage 2 Giac car....in a physical sense at least. Whereas in the first vid yours certainly gained some distance on the stock car
I think you meant the Cobb Stage 2 car. And his video, he beat the stock car but not by a massive amount. In my video it's tough to tell the gap because I was using a wide-angle view to make sure that the other car was always in the camera's field of view. But it was much more than a car length or two.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:40 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Thanks. The only races that were interesting to me are the close ones -- the GTRs, Huracan and fellow 911 Turbos.

My two races with the Cobb car were both pretty close. I won one and he won one. It looked like he was making about the same power I was. Of course that should not be the case given all the additional work I have done to the car but that's what it seemed like to me. Having a passenger in my car in the race I lost and running the losing race after my car had been running hot pulls for about three hours straight definitely made the difference as the first race where I beat him was with no passenger in my car and much earlier in the morning. But my car given a the mods and race gas have blown him away both races and It Didn't. Stated differently, the addition of a passenger should not have changed the outcome but it seemed to have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RedGutz Battles It Out at DFC's Runway Event (Quarter Mile Drag Races)