Sponsored by: Road Spy

Dyno Custom Tune VS GIAC/Other Tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by PMNewton
GIAC is by far the most prolific Porsche ECU tuner in the world.

- Patrick
Your factual support for this statement is where?
Old 07-31-2015, 11:33 AM
PMNewton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Your factual support for this statement is where?
From the FACT that they cracked the ECU two years ago before anyone else did. From the FACT that the only other tuner to crack the ECU is COBB and they just now released the access port. From the FACT that the GIAC product is so good that dealerships offer the tune as an add-on.

- Patrick
Old 07-31-2015, 12:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

From the FACT that they cracked the ECU two years ago before anyone else did. From the FACT that the only other tuner to crack the ECU is COBB and they just now released the access port. From the FACT that the GIAC product is so good that dealerships offer the tune as an add-on.

- Patrick
so, in other words, you made it up.

Lets be clear, they may be great on the 991TT platform and if you had said that they are the most prolific 991TT tuner out there, I might even agree. As you know, however, there are many other Porsche platforms out there and I'd say there are many other tuners with a similar or larger impact on the Porsche tuning community.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:42 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
so, in other words, you made it up.

Lets be clear, they may be great on the 991TT platform and if you had said that they are the most prolific 991TT tuner out there, I might even agree. As you know, however, there are many other Porsche platforms out there and I'd say there are many other tuners with a similar or larger impact on the Porsche tuning community.
Back it up, then. Show me the tuners that consistently beat GIAC to market and then occupy a larger market share. And stay on topic, I'm asking about tuners that have cracked the ECU encryption and written files to it. Not piggybacks and mufflers.

- Patrick
Old 08-01-2015, 12:09 AM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- Patrick
Cobb has had 996/997 tuning for a long time. They only now brought the 991 tuning out, but they're also the ONLY ones with an accessport type product, which means no having to send my ECU out, or seeing a dealer to flash it. Updates would be a snap as well.

They seem to have a decent rep with the 996/997 tuning. I believe the tuning is open as well - so if you know something about tuning, you could tune it. I wouldn't because I know only enough to be dangerous -
Old 08-02-2015, 05:53 AM
Asad
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently tuned my 991 Turbo S

I few months ago I installed the Fabspeed piggyback on my car and had some noticeable gains but also some areas of the powerband that just weren't working right. AMS Performance is nearby and I know them very well from work on my GTR and they were able to get me the new Cobb Accesport so I pulled the Fabspeed piggyback and just loaded a off the shelf map and the difference is amazing. In 2-3 weeks Cobb will release whatever is needed to do a full custom dyno tune and it should lead to even more gains. My car bone stock with just the Cobb made over 550whp on a dynojet. Eric Gaudi at AMS handled everything and is great to work with. They are also in the process of designing intercoolers for the car. I will attach my dyno sheet. I expect to pick up 10-15 more wheel horsepower when they custom tune it.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:15 AM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something screwy with that sheet...and we can't see HP>RPM, only to speed. Why does it end at 60MPH?
Old 08-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Asad
5th Gear

Originally Posted by FBA
Something screwy with that sheet...and we can't see HP>RPM, only to speed. Why does it end at 60MPH?
They didn't use the right sheet for the printout. The bottom line is that the car is vastly improved after the Cobb tune except for one area (see picture below) that AMS will fix when they custom dyno tune it. And the horsepower figures are accurate. I don't know why they used the wrong sheet but I suggest you call Eric Gaudi over there and ask him any questions you might have. The car has made a noticeable jump in performance with zero sacrifice of driveability
Old 08-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Asad
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Asad
They didn't use the right sheet for the printout. The bottom line is that the car is vastly improved after the Cobb tune except for one area (see picture below) that AMS will fix when they custom dyno tune it. And the horsepower figures are accurate. I don't know why they used the wrong sheet but I suggest you call Eric Gaudi over there and ask him any questions you might have. The car has made a noticeable jump in performance with zero sacrifice of driveability
I'll get a correct printout tomorrow and post it
Old 08-03-2015, 03:22 PM
N2338V
Intermediate

Impressive, Asad. Keep us posted when you get the custom tune loaded!
Old 08-03-2015, 03:25 PM
Asad
5th Gear

Originally Posted by N2338V
Impressive, Asad. Keep us posted when you get the custom tune loaded!
For sure! It should be 2-3 weeks from now. And then about 4 weeks after that I'll do it again after they build my headers, exhaust and intercoolers.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:30 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does Kevin M offer a 991 tune? He of master turbocharger builder extraordinaire...
Old 08-06-2015, 05:09 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts

Great results Asad!!

There is no torque as they did not use an RPM pick up so they just go off roll speed.

Great back to back comparison!

And to be clear this is a full ecu rewrite. No piggy backs, no gimmicks. We have full control over the ECU including high and low pressure fuel, ignition timing, cam timing, boost control etc.

There are lots of results coming out more and more of the tunes. With the AP we were able to win the Pikes Peak Hillclimb on just an exhaust and flash in our class. In fact in our class the 991 took 1st and a 997.2 Turbo with an AP took second.

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Quick Reply: Dyno Custom Tune VS GIAC/Other Tune