Sponsored by: Road Spy

Boy have I been missing out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 04:28 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Boy have I been missing out!

I have had this car 16 months or so, and I never really played with manual shifting seriously until yesterday and today. I have started out using the PDK stick in full manual, and Sport+ is fantastic in this mode. Never more than just a couple snicks on the paddles before this. Shifting based on the revs of the engine with this PDK is a new thing for me. Makes me appreciate the sound of the GMG exhaust even more.

I find myself turning off the Burmeister when I do this. Loving the engine music.

I never liked Sport+ in full automatic mode, but Sport+ in full manual mode is great. It is like rediscovering the car all over again. And the Stage 2 tune helps a lot as well!
Old 04-28-2015, 04:52 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Nice, now chop that top and you will get even more of that awesome sound.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:08 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Nice, now chop that top and you will get even more of that awesome sound.
Not a convertible guy, but the sunroof does a pretty good job.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:21 PM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious about your impressions re the GMG...does the car still remain relatively "low key" outside of using Sport/SportPLus? I'm looking for a touch more excitement but would prefer to keep it quiet with the valves closed. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:32 PM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
I have had this car 16 months or so, and I never really played with manual shifting seriously until yesterday and today. I have started out using the PDK stick in full manual, and Sport+ is fantastic in this mode. Never more than just a couple snicks on the paddles before this. Shifting based on the revs of the engine with this PDK is a new thing for me. Makes me appreciate the sound of the GMG exhaust even more.

I find myself turning off the Burmeister when I do this. Loving the engine music.

I never liked Sport+ in full automatic mode, but Sport+ in full manual mode is great. It is like rediscovering the car all over again. And the Stage 2 tune helps a lot as well!
Geez, that's the only way I have ever driven mine, paddle shifters all the way in sport all the time. When I run quarters I go to sport + and then let the car shift because it's too quick to redline on first gear to do it manually. Heck if you keep the revs over 3k most of the time then when you let off the gas you get burbles and pops, also when you downshift. That's the whole fun of an exhaust.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:15 AM
991TurboS
Racer

Originally Posted by mdkim
Curious about your impressions re the GMG...does the car still remain relatively "low key" outside of using Sport/SportPLus? I'm looking for a touch more excitement but would prefer to keep it quiet with the valves closed. Thanks in advance.
Not sure what you mean by "valves closed"? Just in case you thought it was, the GMG exhaust is not valved.

The exhaust note is not intrusive under normal driving conditions, even in Sport mode. It just is more muscular sounding. Keep the revs down and it is just a bit louder than stock. I hear more growl when you are under boost, particularly at higher revs. Put a Tune on the car and it gets even more raucous, outside of the HP and torque gains. And as was said, in manual mode you get the most pops and burbles, particularly in downshifts.

Go me, the GMG makes the Turbo sound like it should have come from the factory. Enough sound to show you are packing some power, but not enough to inhibit normal operations inside the car, like talking at normal volume, talking on a cell phone, or listening to the stereo.

I bought the GMG system because of all the aftermarket systems I listened to, the GMG seemed more biased to a muscle car type sound vs lots of pops and crackles. It has pops and crackles, but not quite as much as others, which was a positive for me, and my personal preference.

Check out other systems as well. If I had not bought the GMG, I prolly would have gone with a Tubi Style from Champion. But whatever you buy, get what sounds the best to you, since you will be living with it 24/7. And since you will drop about $5,000 or more on any system for the Turbo, due diligence is a must. I only want to buy once.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:20 AM
991TurboS
Racer

Originally Posted by wrs
Geez, that's the only way I have ever driven mine, paddle shifters all the way in sport all the time. When I run quarters I go to sport + and then let the car shift because it's too quick to redline on first gear to do it manually. Heck if you keep the revs over 3k most of the time then when you let off the gas you get burbles and pops, also when you downshift. That's the whole fun of an exhaust.
I got lazy. The car works so well in Sport, I just used that most of the time. One of these days I have to try Launch Control!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:05 AM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:31 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

I got lazy. The car works so well in Sport, I just used that most of the time. One of these days I have to try Launch Control!
After 16 months..... Seriously?
Old 04-29-2015, 03:23 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
After 16 months..... Seriously?
Yes....seriously. Not a PCA instructor or track guy either
Old 04-29-2015, 05:37 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "valves closed"? Just in case you thought it was, the GMG exhaust is not valved.

The exhaust note is not intrusive under normal driving conditions, even in Sport mode. It just is more muscular sounding. Keep the revs down and it is just a bit louder than stock. I hear more growl when you are under boost, particularly at higher revs. Put a Tune on the car and it gets even more raucous, outside of the HP and torque gains. And as was said, in manual mode you get the most pops and burbles, particularly in downshifts.

Go me, the GMG makes the Turbo sound like it should have come from the factory. Enough sound to show you are packing some power, but not enough to inhibit normal operations inside the car, like talking at normal volume, talking on a cell phone, or listening to the stereo.

I bought the GMG system because of all the aftermarket systems I listened to, the GMG seemed more biased to a muscle car type sound vs lots of pops and crackles. It has pops and crackles, but not quite as much as others, which was a positive for me, and my personal preference.

Check out other systems as well. If I had not bought the GMG, I prolly would have gone with a Tubi Style from Champion. But whatever you buy, get what sounds the best to you, since you will be living with it 24/7. And since you will drop about $5,000 or more on any system for the Turbo, due diligence is a must. I only want to buy once.
You should have looked into the BBI exhaust.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:45 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Originally Posted by jem7v
You should have looked into the BBI exhaust.
Thank you, but I am quite happy with the GMG exhaust.

Another choice for mdkim, who asked my opinion of the GMG. Maybe you should recommend that to him, since he is in the market.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:57 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes....seriously. Not a PCA instructor or track guy either
It takes less space than you'd imagine to give it a whirl outside a track/off-road environment. You're average dead end side street will likely work fine...there are a couple of light industrial places near me that are quiet after business hours that work pretty well. You owe it to yourself to try launch mode at least once...what a rush.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:03 AM
carguy84
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wait, there's an auto mode???

Old 05-08-2015, 12:05 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Originally Posted by boxer-11
It takes less space than you'd imagine to give it a whirl outside a track/off-road environment. You're average dead end side street will likely work fine...there are a couple of light industrial places near me that are quiet after business hours that work pretty well. You owe it to yourself to try launch mode at least once...what a rush.
I did a Launch Control start a couple days ago, and it did pin me back in the seat. Found an area like you suggested over the weekend that had very little traffic.

Also switched from using the PDK shifter to using the paddles in Manual mode. Sport + definitely the most fun in manual mode. I use Sport in auto mode if I have a drink in the car.

Gas mileage is down the tubes, however, but the fun factor has increased!

Quick Reply: Boy have I been missing out!