Great and new "evo" test (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:54 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 913?

Originally Posted by Howaboutthat
Will be nice if it happens, but that is a long way off, and with competitors coming on-line or amping up their game (Ford, Acura, McLaren, Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and maybe even Chevrolet with a mid-engine Corvette) I wonder if Porsche can wait that long and not unveil a mid-engine supercar slotted in below the 918? I also wonder how a 918 would stay clear of a GT2 on many of the tracks (let alone another car between the 911 and 918 ranges).

I love 911s, but wonder how Porsche will continue to read the market by way of pricing power and exclusivity in the 458/488/650S/Huracan class of car. Then again, I was a bit surprised that Porsche did not roll out a GT2 instead of the planned GT3RS, all things considered. Porsche is in a delicate spot with the 911. Apart from the upwards pressure from the Cayman/Boxster set, introducing a non-911 below the hypercar (918, Carrera GT) level might devalue the still strong-selling, rear-engine icon.
I wonder as well, but guess that despite no leaks recently, Porsche will introduce a mid-engine, probably boosted 8 cylinder engine model to compete directly with the 458/488, 650S and Huracan. The Ford GT has turned off many with its six cylinder engine and as a practical matter will be very limited and VERY expensive with dealer markups. The Acura NSX might be competitive with the BMW i8 and/or the MC 570S and may impact 911 sales, but some of us actually believe that there "is no substitute." The next 911 turbo (not the 991.2 or .5) will probably be a hybrid with 700 hp total, including the new 4.0 liter engine turbo charged. They might even turbo charge the engine now in the 918 to bring it up to total output with the P-1 and La Ferrari. They have said that they will produce an eight cylinder NA engine for the new Panamera probably out later this year. As a PGTS owner, I am hopeful that in two or three years they will bring out the new PGTS with the new NA eight.

No question that Porsche is hyper-cognizant of the pressure that up-rated Cayman's put on 911's, but they always have kept the 911 just a notch above the Cayman in its various versions. It is important to remember that for 50 years the 911 has evolved to overcome the obvious rear-engine configuration, that the 911 turbo has been a benchmark and that models such as the GT3, GT2, etc are very limited production run offerings. I do not see that pattern changing much and do see the 911 turbo/turbo-hybrid as a logical extension of the 911 legacy. There just has been nothing that offers what the 911 does from other makers in terms of versatility for year round, daily use.

It will be interesting to learn how the McLaren 570S will do against the 991 TT/TTS. Not necessarily comparable cars and the Mclaren dealer network will have to expand significantly to serve the market.

I believe that the heightened competition in the low to high end sports car market is very good for us and that there is a dedicated Porsche following that the company does not want to alienate even as it expands its brand to more diverse vehicle types.

Quick Reply: Great and new "evo" test (Video)