Sponsored by: Road Spy

Protection Plan, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amfp
I decided against it. Maybe as only drive the TTS 3,000 miles a year. I took the money and put Clearplex on windshield, have an excellent place to redo two tone wheels if not toast for under $300 dollars. Dent removal is usually about 200 for each dent, tire replacement is a risk, perhaps, but they will only replace the bad tire, and as you know with these cars, its best to replace two tires. But could understand, its insurance and could have a value with piece of mind.
With an AWD/4WD Drive system doesn't the manufacturer suggest replacing all the wheels if one needs replacement. This is due to tire wear after a period of time driving the new tire will have a greater diameter and can cause all types of issues with internals of the trans.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:29 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
With an AWD/4WD Drive system doesn't the manufacturer suggest replacing all the wheels if one needs replacement. This is due to tire wear after a period of time driving the new tire will have a greater diameter and can cause all types of issues with internals of the trans.
From what I recall, if one front or rear tire is replaced, Porsche recommends replacing the other tire that has some mileage on it. The irony, to me, with the Porsche tire/wheel warranty, the insurance only pays for the one bad tire. To me, it really depends how worn is the other tire, specifically if below ~20 percent tire wear. If I was tracking the car, I would clearly replace both tires and/or if the tire is over 2 years old.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:54 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Originally Posted by amfp
From what I recall, if one front or rear tire is replaced, Porsche recommends replacing the other tire that has some mileage on it. The irony, to me, with the Porsche tire/wheel warranty, the insurance only pays for the one bad tire. To me, it really depends how worn is the other tire, specifically if below ~20 percent tire wear. If I was tracking the car, I would clearly replace both tires and/or if the tire is over 2 years old.
On my warranty, tires with 3/32" or less are not covered for replacement. My Porsche Service Rep told me they would recommend I replace the other tire on the axle if the wear were too low to keep the handling the same, but there is nothing in writing stating I had to.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several months ago this type thread was on the non turbo 911 forum and someone stated these insurers will insist on a wheel repair if damaged and it was next to impossible to get them to cover replacement. I'd read the fine print.

Quick Reply: Protection Plan, worth it?