Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tire Replacement: Michelin Pilot SS vs Pirelli P Zero

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 07:16 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Replacement: Michelin Pilot SS vs Pirelli P Zero

I am having one of my rear P-Zeros tires patched tomorrow, as I picked up a nail somewhere. Got me thinking to what I will buy when I have to replace my rubber.

Anyone here gone with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport replacements over the P-Zeros, or does anyone have any recommendations for other brands, or are the P-Zeros the best for the 911 TurboS?

I had a 2013 Shelby GT500 and replaced the stock tires with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and was really impressed with how much better they were than the stock tires. Much better pricewise as well.

My P dealer will no patch the tire at all.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 03-13-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:27 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

I just put a new set of Michelin SS on my '07 C4S and promptly got a small puncture in a rear tire. Discount Tire unmounted it, patched it with punch, and said they patch Porsche, Ferrari, and Lamborghini tires all the time. So unless you're driving it on a track at 180mph, should be good. The tires are, I believe better than the PS2 that I replaced. You can't go wrong, just stay away from nails and other sharp objects.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:12 PM
991TurboS
Racer

I had an email from my Porsche salesman who saw I was on the service board before I cancelled the appointment, and through our emails he reminded me I had bought the tire/wheel extended warranty, and that I was covered for a new tire no charge. I had forgotten that I even bought the darn thing. This is the first time I have bought one of these extended warranties on wheels and tires, but the CL wheels are pricey to replace.

I still have a decent bit of tread on this tire with the nail in it.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:22 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
I still have a decent bit of tread on this tire with the nail in it.
Then go get rid of some of that tread! I replaced the Goodyears on my 981 BS with Michelin PSS. BIiiiiig difference. I will definitely replace the Pirellis on my 991TT with Michelin PSS as soon as I can. I would absolutely recommend the PSS tire...

- Patrick
Old 03-13-2015, 10:00 PM
Neuromancer
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll pay a higher price for them, but I really like the Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires I just installed to replace the Pirelli OEM tires on my 2014 Turbo S coupe. The dry and wet grip are outstanding, and the ride is improved and tire noise are reduced. Worth considering at least.
The following users liked this post:
911TurboS_ (10-22-2021)
Old 03-14-2015, 02:05 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Michelin PSS if you want soft cushy ride. Sport Cup 2 if you want more performance. (I vote latter)
Old 03-14-2015, 02:23 AM
991TurboS
Racer

I am thinking I may try Michelins when I do replace the tires, but I will need to find out the conditions of my extended warranty. For example, are the only tires covered Porsche recommended and Porsche installed, meaning P-Zeros, or am I covered for other brands? Maybe have my P Dealer install Michelins next time, if they would do that.

I am expecting it to be just OEM equipment installed at the P dealer, but will verify. Right now, I will go with the "free" option under my warranty, since I laid out money for this coverage in the first place. I have no complaints about the P-Zeros, but it would be nice to try out different tires if I can still be covered.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:37 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

This is a no brainier, MSC2 only way to go. Order off Tire Rack and ship to your local tire shop. Dealer will rape you!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:34 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
This is a no brainier, MSC2 only way to go. Order off Tire Rack and ship to your local tire shop. Dealer will rape you!
+1 on Tire Pack. I get all my tires from them and have for many years.

For tracking no question MPSC2 are the way to go. I will go Michelin Pilot Super Sports as my OEM replacements because mine is a daily driver and their wet traction is superior to the MPSC2s. Of course the MPSSs will never generate the kind of track numbers the MPSC2s will.

Here is how Michelin describes the MPSC2s on its website (http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/mich...res-benefits):

"MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP 2 is a track tire (semi slick tire), which meets the legal requirements for use on the public highway.
This tire has been specifically optimized for use on a dry track. On a wet track or road, where there is a risk of aquaplaning, adapt your driving style by reducing your speed and leaving the safety and driver assistance systems connected"
Old 03-14-2015, 10:51 AM
991TurboS
Racer

I appreciate everyone's feedback so far. I went to my Porsche dealer this am and now have a new P-Zero to replace the one with the nail in it.

I checked with my service advisor and even if I buy and install a set of Michelins at a different retailer, I am still covered for road hazard damage to the tires.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:27 PM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the MSC2 an "R" compound tire? Isn't there a risk of cracking if it is parked outside at temps below 40 degrees? And if you are driving on the highway with one of our classic "holy sh@t, where did this come from?" rainstorms, are the MSC2 tires going to resist hydroplaning well enough to feel secure?

I honestly don't know the answers to these questions. My next tires will be MSS unless I can truly get comfortable with owning the MSC2s on an "every day" car in the NYC burbs.

To the OP - never driven on the MSS, but I have always been a fan of Michelin tires.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:15 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enzom
Is the MSC2 an "R" compound tire? Isn't there a risk of cracking if it is parked outside at temps below 40 degrees? And if you are driving on the highway with one of our classic "holy sh@t, where did this come from?" rainstorms, are the MSC2 tires going to resist hydroplaning well enough to feel secure?

I honestly don't know the answers to these questions. My next tires will be MSS unless I can truly get comfortable with owning the MSC2s on an "every day" car in the NYC burbs.

To the OP - never driven on the MSS, but I have always been a fan of Michelin tires.
The MPSC2s are designed for warm, dry weather. They do not handle cold or standing water. I would not use them for a DD in the NYC area and would get the Michelin Pilot Super Sports instead. Of course if I were using my car as predominantly a track car I would get a set for track use.

Here are the warnings Tirerack's website has about the limitations of the MPSC2s:

"Warning: Pilot Sport Cup 2 radials meet DOT requirements, however they are not recommended for driving in wet conditions where standing water is present and there is the risk of hydroplaning; drivers should drive cautiously at reduced speeds if they encounter these conditions. This is especially true of shaved or worn tires. And like other Streetable Track & Competition tires, these tires are not intended to be stored, serviced nor driven in near- or below freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

I recently had a conversation with one of the top Porsche tuners in the US. He told me that a drive he took in Florida in a heavy rainstorm with a 991 GT3 equipped with the MPSC2s was the scariest driving experience he has ever had because the tires cannot handle standing water and that I should not get the tires for DD use.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:44 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Thank god I live in Florida!
NYC roads are worst then most third world countries.
I would not have a TTS as a daily driver.
OP does not say where he lives, this makes abig difference.
Remeber TTS is all wheel drive vs GT3, this makes abig difference is wet traction.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:34 PM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from the stock P-zeros to Trofeo R to PSS.
Final results: P-zeros were great as a DD Tire. Excellent Launch tire for a street tire.A bit noisy IMO and not a recommended road course tire. My opinion again.
Trofeo R- track tire! Terrible around precipitation; just like the MPSC2--which were on my GT3. Removed and mounted on OZ wheels for HPDE days. Better than MPSC2 but wear much faster.
Currently mounted on PSS- great DD tire. Smooth and minimal road noise vs Pzeros. A bit more tire slip upon LC but tires were new when tested. Will post results when I return from the strip at Tx2k15.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:50 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Thank god I live in Florida!
NYC roads are worst then most third world countries.
I would not have a TTS as a daily driver.
OP does not say where he lives, this makes abig difference.
Remeber TTS is all wheel drive vs GT3, this makes abig difference is wet traction.
Indeed the NYC area roads are a nightmare. 90 percent of my attention is on dodging potholes. They are simply everywhere. I am sure now that the worst part of winter appears to be over for good they will be repaired. But that will take some time

I DD my TTS, alternating between it and the E63 S. It works great as a DD if you have the appropriate tires (right now mine rolls on the winter set of Michelin Pilot Alpins and will switch to summer wheels and tires at the end of March). I rarely beat on it when I use it for DD duty -- often in comfort mode with little turbo involvement. Of course, today I took a much more ferocious twisty road drive with 10 other 911 Turbos and GT3 in Westchester and Rockland County, NY. The 991 TTS really is such a versatile car.

Quick Reply: Tire Replacement: Michelin Pilot SS vs Pirelli P Zero