Pro

Received 436 Likes on 196 Posts

Yah gotcha. I knew your outer was OEM. Appreciate your input
Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Are you referring to the plastic surround part of the outer sill around the lighted "TurboS" carbon fiber piece? Just want to make sure I understand your post. If yes, then I am not aware of a separate piece that replaces or goes over the plastic part.
No, I was referring to where the inner Macarbon sill piece rejoins with the remaining plastic sill section toward the rear seat area. I think the CF piece looks fine at the front end where it butts with the fuse box carpet in the foot-well, but rejoining with the plastic theme at the rear of the CF piece looks to accentuate the obvious incompatibility between the different materials adjoining one another.
I found the plastics in that same inner sill area on the 997tt were a much smoother superior looking grade of plastic than what they have used in the 991 and if they had used that material it would have allowed the CF to match up better there. I just really think the plastic they have used this time is very cheap looking for a car of this standard and makes the use of the CF draw more attention to that. I was thinking that maybe if they offered another carbon piece that took place of the remaining plastic in the rear foot-well area it would blend better than how it does. The more I look at it I beginning to think maybe black leather inner sills would be a better solution there.

Last edited by speed21; 03-02-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:10 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
No, I was referring to where the inner Macarbon sill piece rejoins with the remaining plastic sill section toward the rear seat area. I think the CF piece looks fine at the front end where it butts with the fuse box carpet in the foot-well, but rejoining with the plastic theme at the rear of the CF piece looks to accentuate the obvious incompatibility between the different materials adjoining one another.
I found the plastics in that same inner sill area on the 997tt were a much smoother superior looking grade of plastic than what they have used in the 991 and if they had used that material it would have allowed the CF to match up better there. I just really think the plastic they have used this time is very cheap looking for a car of this standard and makes the use of the CF draw more attention to that. I was thinking that maybe if they offered another carbon piece that took place of the remaining plastic in the rear foot-well area it would blend better than how it does. The more I look at it I beginning to think maybe black leather inner sills would be a better solution there.
OK, I see what you are saying. Big piece of plastic, and would be costly to do in CF, but I bet MAcarbon would do it, hehehe!

Must be a personal perception thing, because that has never been an issue for me. I do not find that it draws my attention towards the rear plastic piece that it butts up against. In my gettings in and out of it, I hardly ever pay attention to that part of the car, actually.

But for me, the inner sills in CF are a huge improvement than the scuffed up plastic ones I had to look at every time I opened the door!

I am considering getting the fuse panel covers done in carbon fiber, but have been told by MA that results can be iffy with them because of the very reason you stated: cheaper plastic in the 991TT vs the 997TT. I guess a poor base for the CF can give poor results.

I would think the inner sills in leather would be a maintenance nightmare regarding scuffs and scratches, but have never owned that setup, so don't really know.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:14 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
OK, I see what you are saying. Big piece of plastic, and would be costly to do in CF, but I bet MAcarbon would do it, hehehe!

Must be a personal perception thing, because that has never been an issue for me. I do not find that it draws my attention towards the rear plastic piece that it butts up against. In my gettings in and out of it, I hardly ever pay attention to that part of the car, actually.

But for me, the inner sills in CF are a huge improvement than the scuffed up plastic ones I had to look at every time I opened the door!

I am considering getting the fuse panel covers done in carbon fiber, but have been told by MA that results can be iffy with them because of the very reason you stated: cheaper plastic in the 991TT vs the 997TT.

No I think the CF piece there still looks good, just that spot draws an attention. As I mentioned in my recent edit I'm beginning to think I will use a leather sill piece, if it becomes available. I also quite liked the leather tunnel which also gives the nicer leather center storage lid. Have you see that? It is also a nice touch.

And yes you have a point with the leather being scuffed. I guess with the CF you could have it clear wrapped to protect it. Leather no so..
Old 03-02-2015, 11:00 PM
RCorsa
Pro

So I spoke with macarbon today. They can do the exact look as the photo above with a turbo S. It's not a customer added sticker. Anyway. I think I'm going to order both since I don't have the illuminated badges/outer sill anyway. Takes about 4 weeks to build so photos next month
Old 03-02-2015, 11:05 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCorsa
So I spoke with macarbon today. They can do the exact look as the photo above with a turbo S. It's not a customer added sticker. Anyway. I think I'm going to order both since I don't have the illuminated badges/outer sill anyway. Takes about 4 weeks to build so photos next month
Post up some pics when you get them installed. Congratulations!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:42 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

I did mine. Looks proper on black. Other color maybe not!

Last edited by Karl911; 01-31-2021 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:26 PM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you remove the old ones, do they just pop out? With a little help along the sides of them?
Old 03-05-2015, 01:36 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
I did mine. Looks proper on black. Other color maybe not!
Looks great.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:39 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed21
No I think the CF piece there still looks good, just that spot draws an attention. As I mentioned in my recent edit I'm beginning to think I will use a leather sill piece, if it becomes available. I also quite liked the leather tunnel which also gives the nicer leather center storage lid. Have you see that? It is also a nice touch.

And yes you have a point with the leather being scuffed. I guess with the CF you could have it clear wrapped to protect it. Leather no so..
You can get the leather sills now through a company that I'm dealing with. You might get lucky and they actually get it right the first (or second) time and actually deliver it in a reasonable amount of time. That has not been my experience so far.

If you clear film the CF sills, they will still scuff. Honestly, you're better off leaving them unwrapped and just use a mild polish to remove any scuffs. Once clear film is damaged it's tricky to finesse defects out. Sure, you can replace the clear film from time to time but IMO it's an unnecessary complication and expense. For what it's worth, I'm not going to have mine wrapped and I'm pretty fussy (as you know).

- Patrick
Old 03-05-2015, 05:22 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Karl would know more, but they tell me they just pop out with a little pull around the edges. They have an install guide online too.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:51 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by PMNewton
You can get the leather sills now through a company that I'm dealing with. You might get lucky and they actually get it right the first (or second) time and actually deliver it in a reasonable amount of time. That has not been my experience so far.

If you clear film the CF sills, they will still scuff. Honestly, you're better off leaving them unwrapped and just use a mild polish to remove any scuffs. Once clear film is damaged it's tricky to finesse defects out. Sure, you can replace the clear film from time to time but IMO it's an unnecessary complication and expense. For what it's worth, I'm not going to have mine wrapped and I'm pretty fussy (as you know).

- Patrick
I hear you on the clear film Patrick. I initially intended putting it on the carbon illuminated sills but so far so good, so wont bother now. From what I am finding the area susceptible to cop the odd boot mark is the inner sill strip which is plastic as you know. So agree the leathers would see a few hits. May just hold back on doing anything in that area for now. Still like the idea of the leather but mainly because the plastic is so cheap looking. Maybe gen 2 will see an improvement there..
Old 03-06-2015, 09:10 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The OEM outer door sills look like cheap crap not befitting a $200k car. My E63 S AMG's are illuminated and metal -- and are stock not an option.

At some point I will definitely get the CF illuminated one but slowing my roll on mod spending for now. LOL
Old 03-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Yeah, they just pop out. Less then a min for both!

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber turbo intakes