Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Why less activity here than on 991 GT3 forum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:54 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP

I have had only one encounter with a 991 GT3 on the highway. It predictably ended quickly with no drama and all had thumbs up at the conclusion.
Enquiring minds would like to know more detail on this!

Old 12-28-2014, 12:11 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Hope this does not sound crass because I have the utmost respect for the model choices of others, but there is substance to the reasons why the 991 T and TTS cost quite a bit more than the GT3. The TTS, even without engine tune, but with 30 mm lowering springs and Troffeo or M Cup tires will produce serious lateral grip gains and the grunt out of corners is tough to beat. It lacks the drama of the GT3's look and exhaust note, but gets the job done. To each his own.

Getting back to the OP's question though, it appears that the GT3 folks are more engaged, if not necessarily more populous. Not sure if this question has been answered, but what are the 991GT3 and 991 T and TTS populations? My guess is that there are way more 991 T's and TTS's. Could be that the track enthusiasts who would like to or plan to own the 991 GT3 add significantly to that forum's activity.
There are way more 991 TT and TTS cars than 991 GT3s. But the GT3s are pretty much all bought by hard core enthusiasts and they post more. I would love a GT3 as a track car but my budget only allows for a limited number of cars and each needs to be used as a daily driver. GT3 is too stiff and too low for New York City use. I would not feel safe on the NYC streets with the GT's super low height/low ground clearance. But if I lived in the burbs and wanted a track car the GT3 would be it.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:50 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Enquiring minds would like to know more detail on this!

We do. Yet for some reason we are still kept patiently awaiting...

Some say the devil is in the detail. And therefore we need to know.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:56 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had only one encounter with a 991 GT3 so far while driving my 991TT...came up on one from behind on the track and it ended in a point-by for me once we both cleared the traffic that slowed him down in the first place so I could catch up
Old 12-28-2014, 06:01 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by boxer-11
I've had only one encounter with a 991 GT3 so far while driving my 991TT...came up on one from behind on the track and it ended in a point-by for me once we both cleared the traffic that slowed him down in the first place so I could catch up
So then what happened? Did he catch you back up in the corners? A lot also comes down to the wheel man too.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:19 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default no big deal..

Originally Posted by speed21
We do. Yet for some reason we are still kept patiently awaiting...

Some say the devil is in the detail. And therefore we need to know.
Come on man. Just a little run from about 30 to 65. No contest and no skill required with a TTS. You are right about the wheel man on the track, so on short, technical circuits the GT3 is a beast.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:20 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, the immediate next thing was I got into the following corner a little hot, lifted like the newb that I am at this track driving thing, and got to experience PSM curtailing the tail wag for me somewhat

Context is a DE track day with the local PCA which uses A, B, C and D class run groups (from expert to beginner). Once I was in front I stayed there for the rest of the session; certainly didn't feel him pressing to get by again anyway. Now like I said, I'm a bit of a beginner at this HPDE track thing...this was in a C class run group and I also saw the same car on the track with the A class run group. Since the GT3 was hauling 2 bodies in C class and one in A class I'm guessing the C class driver was not the normal expert pilot?? In any case I don't think there's anything useful to conclude from my episode other than the two cars are fabulous fun to push around the track! Oh, that and both cars are really at their prettiest from rear aspects, MHO.

Hmm, maybe _my_ conclusion is that the best answer to TT or GT3 is "yes, please"!
Old 12-28-2014, 06:37 PM
speed21
Banned

Come on man. Just a little run from about 30 to 65. No contest and no skill required with a TTS. You are right about the wheel man on the track, so on short, technical circuits the GT3 is a beast.
Thanks. Was hoping there was a bit more to it than that....like a few corners and so on. None the less having the street cred was a win there for sure!

Originally Posted by boxer-11
Well, the immediate next thing was I got into the following corner a little hot, lifted like the newb that I am at this track driving thing, and got to experience PSM curtailing the tail wag for me somewhat

Context is a DE track day with the local PCA which uses A, B, C and D class run groups (from expert to beginner). Once I was in front I stayed there for the rest of the session; certainly didn't feel him pressing to get by again anyway. Now like I said, I'm a bit of a beginner at this HPDE track thing...this was in a C class run group and I also saw the same car on the track with the A class run group. Since the GT3 was hauling 2 bodies in C class and one in A class I'm guessing the C class driver was not the normal expert pilot?? In any case I don't think there's anything useful to conclude from my episode other than the two cars are fabulous fun to push around the track! Oh, that and both cars are really at their prettiest from rear aspects, MHO.

Hmm, maybe _my_ conclusion is that the best answer to TT or GT3 is "yes, please"!
Sounds fun! But I think I will still prefer TTS by sound of it though.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

First thing is if your going to track your TTS, you must change tires to MSC2. This will but you on equal terms with GT3. Tire pessures 25/32 cold staring pessure. A stock TTS with the same level of driver will have about the same lap times. Gt3s brake later, corner better. TTS exits faster out of the corners, 4wd, and TTS are faster on the straights.
See my mods 8 post below, if you want be faster then a GT3!
Old 01-08-2015, 11:51 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Karl911,

I have not received my 2015 Turbo yet, let alone tracked one against a GT3.
My guess though is that your comments about the difference between the
two are right on the money. It's not hard to imagine the Turbo beating the GT3 on longer tracks with the reverse happening on shorter tracks with more corners.

Quick Reply: Why less activity here than on 991 GT3 forum?