Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Radiator Air Intake Grills for 991 TT & TTS Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:39 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with 1gunner on these meshes re the bugs and so forth...counterproductive in both cleaning and an aesthetic sense. To fit such awful looking agricultural meshing on such a beautiful car without adding the same windscreen mesh guard doesn't make sense. I mean if you are so fearful of damaging rocks and other large objects impacting your radiators then what about your windshield?

http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.co...een-protection

http://www.motoraccessories.net.au/m...ity-grills.jpg

Maybe you guys have bought the wrong vehicle? ...or boredom has set in already?
Old 10-22-2014, 03:05 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Agree with 1gunner on these meshes re the bugs and so forth...counterproductive in both cleaning and an aesthetic sense. To fit such awful looking agricultural meshing on such a beautiful car without adding the same windscreen mesh guard doesn't make sense. I mean if you are so fearful of damaging rocks and other large objects impacting your radiators then what about your windshield?

http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.co...een-protection

http://www.motoraccessories.net.au/m...ity-grills.jpg

Maybe you guys have bought the wrong vehicle? ...or boredom has set in already?
I don't think the mesh looks ugly, but then again I have a bright green car, so my opinion doesn't count.

I do think the mesh looks better on a more track focused car and agree with 1gunner that it makes it harder to clean on a DD.

Your links above are in poor taste and are somewhat demeaning to the OP.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:14 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I don't think the mesh looks ugly, but then again I have a bright green car, so my opinion doesn't count.

I do think the mesh looks better on a more track focused car and agree with 1gunner that it makes it harder to clean on a DD.

Like it or not, that is my opinion. In so far as the links I feel there is a certain relevance to the exercise in question as it goes to show it doesn't do anything for any vehicle and, is purely a utilitarian exercise. Certainly not one that enhances any vehicle. Imho of course Even a flouro green 991tts. And the comments about the windshield are correct. If you are trying to stop rocks or objects of that caliber, how does the windscreen become less important?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:42 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM911
How are these installed?
You need to remove the front bumper cover to install properly. Not a huge task for any keen DIY'ers to tackle.

Originally Posted by kyrocks

I thought speedy's links were kinda funny actually! Where do you draw the line on protection, or in the case of these screens on TT's... aesthetic enhancements?
They serve little practical use on street driven cars... but they sure do look racy! Been there, done that... and bought the T-shirt!!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:12 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
The grilles are cheap insurance against a debris hit that might cause a radiator leak resulting in engine overheating and being stranded. Don’t forget that GT3s have them as OE. For me a cracked windshield is of little concern since it is a simple replacement.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:46 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Selling them as "cheap insurance" on a car that likely won't see the track and then using GT3s "because they have them as OE" to further rationalize a need... is a little misdirected IMO.

There's more danger of picking up a nail, leaving you stranded than a bit of street debris taking out one of our rads.... Not saying it can't happen, but on a scale of probability, it's VERY low!!
But then I'm not selling them...

Old 10-22-2014, 03:12 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Selling them as "cheap insurance" on a car that likely won't see the track and then using GT3s "because they have them as OE" to further rationalize a need... is a little misdirected IMO.

There's more danger of picking up a nail, leaving you stranded than a bit of street debris taking out one of our rads.... Not saying it can't happen, but on a scale of probability, it's VERY low!!

I thought adding these mesh type grills to the turbo cars might void warranty due to airflow restriction, no??
Old 10-22-2014, 07:18 PM
speed21
Banned

This is it in nutshell. Make something then tell everyone how they need it lol.

Guys Porsche has run this car around the NR track for countless hours amongst other diabolically punishing environments and hasn't found the need....but if you truly like the look of them then go for it. To me they look ugly as hell on a car like this. Truly terrible. GT3 has a much different front end where it can get away with it.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

FWIW,they're at least 3 owners on the 991GT3 forum that had their radiators punctured by little rocks and had them replaced under warranty,before Porsche finally decided to install the mesh. Granted that in their case we were talking about wheel well openings and the little rocks were being thrown by the front wheels and hitting the back of the radiators.
Do what you think is best,I'm not advising anyone one way or the other,I'm just throwing a point of reference...

I should also mention that I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to install them on by 996TT,if not for anything else,at least to keep the annoying leaves and debris from getting in there and having to remove my bumper periodically to clean them out.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 AM
TAch Miami
Racer

And it doesn't matter that you won't be buying them either but I and some others are interested in getting them.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:30 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by neanicu
FWIW,they're at least 3 owners on the 991GT3 forum that had their radiators punctured by little rocks and had them replaced under warranty,before Porsche finally decided to install the mesh. Granted that in their case we were talking about wheel well openings and the little rocks were being thrown by the front wheels and hitting the back of the radiators.
Do what you think is best,I'm not advising anyone one way or the other,I'm just throwing a point of reference...

I should also mention that I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to install them on by 996TT,if not for anything else,at least to keep the annoying leaves and debris from getting in there and having to remove my bumper periodically to clean them out.
991 GT3 always had mesh in the front bar, also vented plastic splash guards in front of the wheels. So logically, if small rocks have been shot through the thin venting slots with force to damage a radiator core, then the wheels must have come into contact with a hell of a lot of small stones don't you think? Sounds like a kitty litter/operator issue where the car has wound up in it or driven through it at speed?

Also, GT3's front bar/lower dam has no plastic vent inserts like TT/TTS and looking at GT3's bar's design elements the mesh seems aesthetically appropriate there...unlike the TT which already has the smaller apertures with plastic inserts.

Maybe some of you guys should look at using a GT3 front bar? ..and get rid of the active airo. It would look way better than the TT's current front. I recall a few guys did that with their 997tt's... used a GT2 F/bar.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu

Yes, I'd literally scoop hands full of rubber marbles and sand from my front wheel well rad openings after a weekend DE... When using R compound tires on the track, mesh does make perfect sense in that case.

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
And it doesn't matter that you won't be buying them either but I and some others are interested in getting them.
Well ok... PT Barnum did say it best!!

Last edited by NVRANUF; 10-23-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Grisoguy
Track Day

Received 35 Likes on 7 Posts

I posted the radiator response. I live in Las Vegas and will take my car to Kent Moore at Premier Sportscar service for the installation and to make Turbo Templates. Kent will cal me when he is ready for the car. The radiators are wide open and can get a rock in normal driving.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:38 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Thanks for taking the time to get the grilles started.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:45 PM
I'mAllIn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Grisoguy, as I'm interested in them.

Quick Reply: Radiator Air Intake Grills for 991 TT & TTS Yet?