Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Consensus on stock exhaust and, who is considering getting an AM system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:04 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
Still curious to know what these nice toys sound like from where it matters most of the time..._inside_ the cabin...when compared to stock. I can imagine why it's hard (not really fair even) to assess these systems from exterior cameras with wind and other environmental noise (and to judge by most samples I've heard so far nothing more than on-camera mics which are...well, basic). From inside with a decent mic...at least for me a side-by-side of stock versus AM might be even more compelling.
Most companies offer a money back guarantee for something like this. I know for example the good companies (EP etc...) pride themselves on no drone/resonance etc... and their past history is very good for stuff like that. I'm a stickler for it too as are the guys here. For ours there's no noticeable done when used with _stock_ cats.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:35 AM
rjn1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 991 Turbo S. Sounded a bit plain to me as stock (a very subjective view of course).
So, I added a straight through exhaust which removes all mufflers:

To me it still was a bit muted, so added 200 cell cats as well:

The cats have not triggered any CEL. To put the exhaust only on took about 2 hrs, no special tools needed.

To put on the cats took about 7 hours, but that was because the pre drilled holes in the cats would not line up with the turbo bolt holes. To remedy that we drilled out the cat hole a bit (its not a threaded hole, just a hole), if we'd done that straight away, 2 hrs would fit the cats. Again no special tools required, didn't need to remove bumper, just a decent lift to get access underneath.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

so my take away on the above videos.... to hear turbos spooling you need to add 200 cell cats?
BTW the second sound clip works for me!

Old 07-30-2014, 03:47 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Most companies offer a money back guarantee for something like this.
That's good customer service policy, I agree. Still, it seems a bit of a reach to imagine that one could buy and get fitted one of these AM setups, decide that one doesn't like the aesthetics or acoustic result and get the stock system refitted and still walk away with zero-out of pocket cost. Even without the cost factor, the car would presumably be off the road for the work to be done for several days -- especially if the return-to-stock route is exercised. For me, that's a harder ask for an "experiment" given it's my daily driver.

I guess in the end this sort of thing is subjective of course. I'm certainly prepared to acknowledge that companies offering this kind of product have earned their reputations with past efforts. But since I have zero experience with such AM systems, it's possible I may be the kind of person to whom the result don't deliver a compelling value. All I'm saying really is that good recordings for the regime that I think is most important stand a better chance of making me into a customer than either the "just take a punt on one" approach or the wind-noise compromised external recordings. Perhaps I'm an outlier in that but oftentimes for the one who speaks up, there are more lurking and thinking the same thing.

Truth in advertising: I've been driving 991TT around in sport/M and just letting the revs stay above 3-4 a lot of the time...it sounds pretty good in stock form to me (...so I guess I'd need convincing and I'm not really feeling a need ).
Old 07-30-2014, 03:53 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by boxer-11
That's good customer service policy, I agree. Still, it seems a bit of a reach to imagine that one could buy and get fitted one of these AM setups, decide that one doesn't like the aesthetics or acoustic result and get the stock system refitted and still walk away with zero-out of pocket cost. Even without the cost factor, the car would presumably be off the road for the work to be done for several days -- especially if the return-to-stock route is exercised. For me, that's a harder ask for an "experiment" given it's my daily driver.

I guess in the end this sort of thing is subjective of course. I'm certainly prepared to acknowledge that companies offering this kind of product have earned their reputations with past efforts. But since I have zero experience with such AM systems, it's possible I may be the kind of person to whom the result don't deliver a compelling value. All I'm saying really is that good recordings for the regime that I think is most important stand a better chance of making me into a customer than either the "just take a punt on one" approach or the wind-noise compromised external recordings. Perhaps I'm an outlier in that but oftentimes for the one who speaks up, there are more lurking and thinking the same thing.

Truth in advertising: I've been driving 991TT around in sport/M and just letting the revs stay above 3-4 a lot of the time...it sounds pretty good in stock form to me (...so I guess I'd need convincing and I'm not really feeling a need ).
Oh for sure I agree with what you're saying. The 996tt sounded so muted stock, same with the 997.1tt and 997.2tt. The 991tt by far sounds better than any other modern turbo stock that's for sure!

In terms of install it wouldn't be days.... I mean ours installs in 2-3 hours tops (so the car isn't down for days) but again we want people to be happy not miserable so we've always done a full refund thing/policy. Videos can help a bit I'll get more as and when possible too
Old 07-30-2014, 07:02 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex, so are you saying that if someone purchased the exhaust and wasn't completely satisfied you would take it back for a full refund?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kev_song
Alex, so are you saying that if someone purchased the exhaust and wasn't completely satisfied you would take it back for a full refund?
hi kev_song, absolutely we've always been that way. Whether it's for a gt3, turbo or whatever with our stuff.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:28 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Alex. I'm ordering one in the morning. I had a 991 C4S and ordered your race exhaust. Loved how it sounded but the drone was too much for me. Sold it to a buddy of him who loves it.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:38 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Alex. I'm ordering one in the morning. I had a 991 C4S and ordered your race exhaust. Loved how it sounded but the drone was too much for me. Sold it to a buddy of him who loves it.
Ah yes we do try warn people and call it a race exhaust as that one is too much for me too in NA form and without turbos to help muffle sound those cars can be loud. We ended up making a street exhaust for the non - S'.

This turbo exhaust is more like a slightly louder version of the pse on your old car if that makes sense We don't want any drone on street exhausts.

See what you think and talk soon!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Good to know. I loved the pse on the C4S but wanted it slightly louder. As long as there isn't any drone I should be really happy.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Good to know. I loved the pse on the C4S but wanted it slightly louder. As long as there isn't any drone I should be really happy.
I know what you mean. Installing a Europipe system today. Will let you know if it does the trick.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:57 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cool I think this will work well for you And if not we'll take it back
Old 07-31-2014, 02:37 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by enzom
I know what you mean. Installing a Europipe system today. Will let you know if it does the trick.
Can't wait to hear your impressions about the EP.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:01 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Cool I think this will work well for you And if not we'll take it back
Still on the fence, but leaning to Shark Werks mainly because of great past experiences with my GT3 and Alex's sound ( )advice and guidance... A class act in all respects!

Quick Reply: Consensus on stock exhaust and, who is considering getting an AM system?