Sponsored by: Road Spy

Intermittent [red] PDCC Failure messages

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:23 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Intermittent [red] PDCC Failure messages

Has anyone else seen a RED "PDCC Failure" warning message??

I picked up my 991TT Saturday and I'm up to 3 of these now. ~220 miles on the car at this point. So far they persist while I drive once they have occurred but they clear by cycling the ignition. Dealer service advises me to keep driving for now and see if this happens a lot and in particular whether it sticks across shutting down and restarting the engine.

[ How to provoke this: There's this one highway ramp near me that is a 90-right-hander slight uphill with adverse camber and it seems like loading up to have the car take a set into the corner then adding power post apex on this one is a sure-fire way to trip this message...two for two so far. Given the miles, I'm not really pushing it hard as yet of course. ]

Last edited by boxer-11; 02-25-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: oops, messed up the acronym first time around
Old 02-25-2014, 04:03 PM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had one unexplained "engine fault" light at 200 miles that lasted several starts ... as the first tank of gas was about done with ... Hasn't come back yet at 300 miles (I know, only) ... I cannot WAIT to redline this car ... I pay too much attention to those break in warnings.

If you can replicate your error message that should lead to a resolution ...
Old 02-25-2014, 05:35 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Interesting.

I wonder if this is one of those things where the car's legs need a stretch after the long sea voyage or something like that before the systems settle down. Third time I tried the same adverse camber corner today I didn't get the fault.

I hear you on the run-in instructions -- I can already tell this car wants to run fast and keeping it to 4200rpm is a true exercise in self-restraint
Old 02-25-2014, 05:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I would only speculate since I don't have specific information,but I think these are new car software glitches... I do not believe that the actual system is not working properly,but what do I know...
I believe once Porsche figures it out,there will be a software update for dealers to perform.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
Has anyone else seen a RED "PDCC Failure" warning message??

I picked up my 991TT Saturday and I'm up to 3 of these now. ~220 miles on the car at this point. So far they persist while I drive once they have occurred but they clear by cycling the ignition. Dealer service advises me to keep driving for now and see if this happens a lot and in particular whether it sticks across shutting down and restarting the engine.

[ How to provoke this: There's this one highway ramp near me that is a 90-right-hander slight uphill with adverse camber and it seems like loading up to have the car take a set into the corner then adding power post apex on this one is a sure-fire way to trip this message...two for two so far. Given the miles, I'm not really pushing it hard as yet of course. ]
I am having the *exact* same issue. Entering a 270 degree right hand ramp in a "spirited" fashion, all settings at default (no sport or sport plus, PDCC "normal", etc.), and I get the PDCC fault message. It clears when I turn the car off. I've had it 4 times now. I have about 700 miles on the car. I'm going to have the dealer take a look at at it later this week when I take the car in for the clicking brake problem.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

OK so now it's time to hunt the pattern of common factors.

Extra things I think I know about this...

I've had this in SPORT (that button LED lit only) and default (SPORT and SPORT PLUS button LEDs both unlit). I believe I had PASM setting on SPORT in all cases (button with shock picture and PDCC legend LED lit).

FWIW, when the red failure message appears it cancels the LED on the SPORT button (and there's a transient MFD message to the effect that SPORT mode is not available that comes up with that).

If you do get anything from your dealer on the subject, I'd be very interested to hear what they say.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
I would only speculate since I don't have specific information,but I think these are new car software glitches... I do not believe that the actual system is not working properly,but what do I know...
I believe once Porsche figures it out,there will be a software update for dealers to perform.
I certainly hope it's something simple like that and quickly resolved too.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:38 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Happened again this morning. I stopped and started and tried to provoke it again but apparently I'm not quite able to get it at-will yet...when I actively tried to repro I couldn't get it to trip.

Conditions: SPORT on, PASM SPORT, PDK in D, slight uphill right-hander adding power in the second half of the corner...wasn't watching speed but it was probably quite low (say 40-ish; I'm starting to wonder if speed is a factor too...I was probably going faster while subsequently trying to provoke it).

I'm up to 4 now as well...not that it's a competition
Old 02-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

slight uphill right-hander
This has been the case in all four of my cases, along with a sharp turn-in at a brisk pace. Take away any of those conditions and I don't get it.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:12 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

I've had the exact problem in a 14 C4S, so not unique to the Turbo
Old 02-28-2014, 06:58 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Two more since I last posted :/

Seems like entry speed to the corner needs to be between 40mph and 50mph for the corners that seem to trip this for me; then add some power once the car sets up.

I found a corner closer to home that seems to trigger the problem. I did a quick try at lapping around the block (so to speak) to see if I could repro this two times in quick succession. No joy on that but I only tried twice. Perhaps I'll try a bit more persistently over the weekend. Or maybe it's a once a day kind of thing.

Interesting that this happens in other types also...but that makes it sound less hopeful in terms of a fix...wouldn't this have been sorted by now if it's been around a while?? I'm not familiar with Porsche's track record with sorting out this kind of thing maybe.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Two more since I last posted :/ Seems like entry speed to the corner needs to be between 40mph and 50mph for the corners that seem to trip this for me; then add some power once the car sets up. I found a corner closer to home that seems to trigger the problem. I did a quick try at lapping around the block (so to speak) to see if I could repro this two times in quick succession. No joy on that but I only tried twice. Perhaps I'll try a bit more persistently over the weekend. Or maybe it's a once a day kind of thing. Interesting that this happens in other types also...but that makes it sound less hopeful in terms of a fix...wouldn't this have been sorted by now if it's been around a while?? I'm not familiar with Porsche's track record with sorting out this kind of thing maybe.
Since you're getting pretty good at replicating it,I'd take a technician from the dealer on a ride with me... I'd tell him to hook up his PIWIS while driving,so that when the fault happens it will get recorded.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

PIWIS -- Ok, I figured there would be some diagnostic gadget of some sort

Given my day job, I completely understand the value of a nice air-tight reproduction of errors for debug purposes Offering the tech a ride is a good idea. Especially if over the weekend I can figure out a way to get this to trip repeatedly in one session. My engineering guts are guessing sensor calibration error or software bug.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:11 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Update... Well yesterday I got the failure message unexpectedly on a downhill right hander. After that, I tried hard to replicate it doing laps around the block to get to the one curve that's tripped it a few times already near the house...couldn't get it to trip (go figure).

Starting to feel like a one-a-day kind of thing so perhaps the car has to sit for a while before it gets ready to dish this error out again.

Talking with the dealer about getting their tech folks to look at it first part of the week.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:07 PM
DaveChapin
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok ok, now I get it... You are just looking for excuses to take your 911 hard into twisties! :-)

Quick Reply: Intermittent [red] PDCC Failure messages