Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Salespersons impression of new Turbo

Old 07-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Salespersons impression of new Turbo

FWIW My sales person just drove the new 991 turbo on track in Portugal. He also drove the 991 C4S, new Panamera. He is a very good driver. He did not seem too enthusiastic about the way the new turbo drives. He kept talking about how fast he was in the C4S and how great a car it was. I kept pushing him about how he thought the turbo felt in comparison. He said it was nice and very competent. From his description it seemed that it was quite sterile and uninvolving. He was more excited about the new 991 turbo until he drove it. He is usually very animated and excited when he has driven a really great handling Porsche. His reaction to the new Panamera was better. When he drove the new Cayman S - I couldn't hear the end of it. He did say the turbo looked good. He did not get to drive the new GT3.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:46 AM
shawsan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt a 'salesperson's' views on the new 991 turbo will weigh very heavily on most reader's minds but, who knows, s/he may be as skilled a you imply and right on in their assessment. I say this because I too am skeptical about the new 991 turbo, sufficiently so that I withdrew my deposit for one. I have no doubt the 991 GT3 will be stellar and I'm keen to drive the new Ceyenne S as I'm sure it's going be a stand out as well. But the 991 Turbo??

My take is the turbo rose to its 'nadir' with the 997 Turbo S, and efforts to keep improving it significantly in the future are/will encounter major diminishing marginal returns. Sure the clever addition of rear wheels that turn has improved the turbo's understeer/oversteer nemesis when entering turns, but other than that so much is shared with the 997 turbo S -- 3.8 litre engine, PDK, ceramic brakes. identical 516 ft/lbs of torque, etc. And will the 991 turbo's blast from 0-60 be so much greater than the 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8 seconds recorded for the 997 turbo S by Car & Driver, Road and Track, and Motortrend, that owners will be satisfied they ponied up an additional $20K to get one. I doubt it. In a nutshell, I think the 991 turbo is in for a rough ride when compared with the 997 turbo S and other competitors out there.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:24 PM
tomshop
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned and driven many 911's over the years and I find the 991 the most refined by far. Much more of a GT car and less of a sports car. Curious if the Turbo/Turbo S will feel same way.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:53 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riz
FWIW My sales person just drove the new 991 turbo on track in Portugal. He also drove the 991 C4S, new Panamera. He is a very good driver. He did not seem too enthusiastic about the way the new turbo drives. He kept talking about how fast he was in the C4S and how great a car it was. I kept pushing him about how he thought the turbo felt in comparison. He said it was nice and very competent. From his description it seemed that it was quite sterile and uninvolving. He was more excited about the new 991 turbo until he drove it. He is usually very animated and excited when he has driven a really great handling Porsche. His reaction to the new Panamera was better. When he drove the new Cayman S - I couldn't hear the end of it. He did say the turbo looked good. He did not get to drive the new GT3.
Are you sure HE drove the 991 Turbo? According to my knowledge, no development "outsider", with the exception of the members of the board of management of VW Group and Porsche, is currently permitted to drive a 991 Turbo/Turbo S. Even car journalists haven't driven it yet.
I actually think he was in Portugal for the Panamera facelift presentation and had the chance to drive as a co-passenger in a 991 Turbo. Just saying...

His claims make NO sense at all, the 991 Turbo/Turbo S is amazing. The new rear axle steering make this car absolutely stunning, there is no understeer anymore (zilch, nada) and with PSM turned off, the rear comes nicely and helps to turn in into a curve quite easily.

To make it short: Your sales person told a nice story...

Wait for the first reviews and the 997 Turbo S will be history...far away history. Same as the 997 GT3.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennteam
...The new rear axle steering make this car absolutely stunning, there is no understeer anymore (zilch, nada) and with PSM turned off, the rear comes nicely and helps to turn in into a curve quite easily...
Have you driven it?

Greg A
Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If anybody has, RC woulld be the one.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

has anybody actually driven this car in anger yet?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Originally Posted by Greg A
Have you driven it?

Greg A
Let me put it this way:

Officially, nobody outside development or VW Group board of management has driven it yet.

You can ask me however any question you want regarding the car and how it drives, I may be able to answer it.

Yes, I ordered one. Mine is going to exit production on Sept. 27th. and the wait is killing me. There is a delivery embargo in place in Germany, Oct. 5th (as far as I remember).
All customer/dealer cars will be built in September, August is the month of the press/show cars. End of August should be an official press event.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Sulaiman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me put it this way:

Officially, nobody outside development or VW Group board of management has driven it yet.

You can ask me however any question you want regarding the car and how it drives, I may be able to answer it.

Yes, I ordered one. Mine is going to exit production on Sept. 27th. and the wait is killing me. There is a delivery embargo in place in Germany, Oct. 5th (as far as I remember).
All customer/dealer cars will be built in September, August is the month of the press/show cars. End of August should be an official press event.
does the embargo means all country will get the car oct 5th ? worldwide ??
Old 07-27-2013, 07:52 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He may have driven it. I know the dealers here are over there in Portugal now driving the new 991tt car so..
Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Regarding the "embargo", I don't know. There seems to be one in Germany and as far as I heard, no dealer outside Germany will be allowed to deliver a car earlier.
First customer and dealer cars will be produced in September btw..
The August builds are for the press, events, etc.. and if you see a car with German S, LB or BB license plates before Oct., this is usually a factory car, not a dealer car.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Originally Posted by speed21
He may have driven it. I know the dealers here are over there in Portugal now driving the new 991tt car so..
Til last week, no dealer/sales person drove the 991 Turbo/Turbo S himself (as a driver). Not sure about this week but I doubt it has changed.
The Portugal event is for the Panamera facelift btw..

They had/have however the chance to drive IN the 991 Turbo/Turbo S as passengers.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Til last week, no dealer/sales person drove the 991 Turbo/Turbo S himself (as a driver). Not sure about this week but I doubt it has changed.
The Portugal event is for the Panamera facelift btw..

They had/have however the chance to drive IN the 991 Turbo/Turbo S as passengers.
You are correct. I just checked again and the word is no one has driven it. Everyone was surprised to hear that. They all got to look, touch, feel, start and listen to the engine but that was it. The Panamera is the car being driven and I suspect the OP's contact not elaborating positively on the car likely stems from his frustration of travelling all the way over there only to find he is not allowed drive the car at this stage. Also from what I'm told is no one has even got to ride in it either. Frankly I couldnt imagine anyone driving this new car and walking away underwhelmed.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
You are correct. I just checked again and the word is no one has driven it. Everyone was surprised to hear that. They all got to look, touch, feel, start and listen to the engine but that was it. The Panamera is the car being driven and I suspect the OP's contact not elaborating positively on the car likely stems from his frustration of travelling all the way over there only to find he is not allowed drive the car at this stage. Also from what I'm told is no one has even got to ride in it either. Frankly I couldnt imagine anyone driving this new car and walking away underwhelmed.
Trust me - the sales guy has driven it. Maybe not all the sales guys drove it. He is not trying to sell me the car or any other car. He really has nothing to gain with me by telling me he drove it if he really didn't. He loved the looks, but it was a little bland. I will see him again today and make his swear by putting his hand on the Bible ( he is a Christian, and quite a religious guy FWIW). I probably have more to gain by telling such a tale, than he does. I am not surprised by his impressions, I don't think any of us should be.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Originally Posted by Riz
Trust me - the sales guy has driven it. Maybe not all the sales guys drove it. He is not trying to sell me the car or any other car. He really has nothing to gain with me by telling me he drove it if he really didn't. He loved the looks, but it was a little bland. I will see him again today and make his swear by putting his hand on the Bible ( he is a Christian, and quite a religious guy FWIW). I probably have more to gain by telling such a tale, than he does. I am not surprised by his impressions, I don't think any of us should be.
No, he hasn't. If he swears on the bible, buy your car somewhere else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Salespersons impression of new Turbo