Sponsored by:

Chris Smith Racing roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:44 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chris Smith Racing roll bar

Super happy with this system so wanted to post. I like how he has triangulated and uses additional mounting points. Its still bolt in but seems like it will be very strong. Sub belts bolts to a fixed brace, not bolted to seat rails and is bolted in 2 planes. Great powder coating, fit and finish. Anyone in the Road Atlanta area and looking for a harness solution should give CSR a shout.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Not a fan of bolting to the seat belt bolt holes in the front, personally.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:53 AM
hughp3
Pro

I believe Cantrell and I know GMG bolt in the same manner. They use the existing lap anchor point. No new holes drilled. So a weld in is better yes, but this lets me use a Hans
Old 08-27-2015, 01:05 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

It's kind off in between a harness bar and a roll bar. Like the old Porsche Tecquipment bars no longer sold.
A little extra roll over protection maybe, the real benefit is Hans usability with harnesses.
Maybe a bit much scaffolding for only using (easy) seat belt mounting points. ;-)
Old 08-27-2015, 01:15 AM
hughp3
Pro

Hello Peter - how does the Euro bar mount, the one we cannot get? Is it different? Attached is the GMG bar pic. Ye the Hans was my main goal.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:43 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'm not sure how but the front part is bolted to factory welded plates in the tub. I've posted before hoping for a Euro CS Rennlisters to post photos with the carpet up, but no luck yet.

Others bolt to the upright "wall" behind the seats.

The rear part bolts to the shock towers actually making the rear part of the tub stiffer. Even more so when connected to the front part making it a full cage.

I'm OK with just a harness bar if we can't get the real thing. I'm even OK to not use a anti-submarine strap. IMHO we sit way to upright with side straps super tight to ever go under. The anti-submarine strap just adds some comfort as you don't have to yank the side straps so tight. Hans usage for comfort and neck safety (if I keep shiney side up) is most important for me. Full Roll bar better, full cage better but roll over strength of a 911 is not bad.. Safety VS convenience....
Old 08-27-2015, 02:52 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'm not sure how but the front part is bolted to factory welded plates in the tub. I've posted before hoping for a Euro CS Rennlisters to post photos with the carpet up, but no luck yet.

Others bolt to the upright "wall" behind the seats.

The rear part bolts to the shock towers actually making the rear part of the tub stiffer. Even more so when connected to the front part making it a full cage.

I'm OK with just a harness bar if we can't get the real thing. I'm even OK to not use a anti-submarine strap. IMHO we sit way to upright with side straps super tight to ever go under. The anti-submarine strap just adds some comfort as you don't have to yank the side straps so tight. Hans usage for comfort and neck safety (if I keep shiney side up) is most important for me. Full Roll bar better, full cage better but roll over strength of a 911 is not bad.. Safety VS convenience....
I like the designs that bolt to the front and rear of the seat shelf, personally. The Cantrell and Alekshop bars were the first I saw to use this method. I use a modified version of the Alekshop bar on my GT3. Here's the Alekshop version for comparison:

Old 08-27-2015, 10:40 AM
GMP911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Alexshop bar
Old 08-27-2015, 11:32 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,740 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by GMP911
+1 for Alexshop bar